Will the past haunt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rumzh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So over 10 years ago after graduating HS, I did not take college seriously, after 3 years of school I got suspended due to low GPA (1.67), and just stopped going to school.

Decided to go back in 2015 (same college) and got mostly A's, with a couple B's in all the pre-reqs for pharmacy school (3.67 pre-req GPA, all complete except for micro bio), and re-took most classes I previously did bad in and now my overall GPA is 3.36. I don't have my bachelors and and just applied to a few Pharm school (also taking PCat in january); anyone have a bad history that turned things around? I'm wondering how schools would look at that.

Members don't see this ad.

Your credits wouldn't count anyways, since they're over ten years old. They'd see an upward trend at least, since you went from a 1.67 to 3.16 when going back. You'll be fine

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions mostly looks at your last 4 semesters of schools since the past doesn't reflect all that much. As long as you've improved in those last 4 semesters vs your past, you should be perfectly fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So over 10 years ago after graduating HS, I did not take college seriously, after 3 years of school I got suspended due to low GPA (1.67), and just stopped going to school.

Decided to go back in 2015 (same college) and got mostly A's, with a couple B's in all the pre-reqs for pharmacy school (3.67 pre-req GPA, all complete except for micro bio), and re-took most classes I previously did bad in and now my overall GPA is 3.36. I don't have my bachelors and and just applied to a few Pharm school (also taking PCat in january); anyone have a bad history that turned things around? I'm wondering how schools would look at that.

Not having a Bachelors and your past GPA will hurt you if you're applying to high tier programs. If you get an exceptionally strong PCAT score you will likely be competitive for mid tier schools.

I honestly would be upfront about it and use it to your advantage. Explain how you have experienced personal growth and have matured since that time. Admissions eats that stuff up. They would rather admit a committed 30 year old who is mature and will take graduate school seriously than a 20 year old prodigy that skated by in undergrad.

How is it possible to complete at the pre reqs in 1 year? GenChem, O-chem, and biochem takes at least 2 years, and thats assuming you took summer classes.

Not one year, more like a year and a half (did summer plus 2 winters). Took gen chem A in spring 2015, chem b in summer, ochem fall, and ochem b spring 2016.
I don't need Bio Chem for the schools i'm applying to. Finished my bio series except for Micro (taking that spring 2016).

Anyways here's an update:
I applied to 7 schools:
Midwestern AZ didn't even look at my application because they combine all GPA, even from 10 years ago.
Pacific in Oregon- ^ same
Roseman-- they have a academic forgivness program where they don't look at anything before 2012, this helped me greatly since my GPA is now a 3.7, application is under review.
Chapman- been going back and forth, I'm pretty confident I'll get an interview. (this will be my number one choice, since it's 20 mins from my house, and I went to the open house, I liked the school and staff).
CHSU- got an interview, but I'm not sure about this school after reading about it on here.
Western- under review.

Not one year, more like a year and a half (did summer plus 2 winters). Took gen chem A in spring 2015, chem b in summer, ochem fall, and ochem b spring 2016.
I don't need Bio Chem for the schools i'm applying to. Finished my bio series except for Micro (taking that spring 2016).

Anyways here's an update:
I applied to 7 schools:
Midwestern AZ didn't even look at my application because they combine all GPA, even from 10 years ago.
Pacific in Oregon- ^ same
Roseman-- they have a academic forgivness program where they don't look at anything before 2012, this helped me greatly since my GPA is now a 3.7, application is under review.
Chapman- been going back and forth, I'm pretty confident I'll get an interview. (this will be my number one choice, since it's 20 mins from my house, and I went to the open house, I liked the school and staff).
CHSU- got an interview, but I'm not sure about this school after reading about it on here.
Western- under review.

Just got an email for interview at Chapman.

Be upfront about your past. They take into account what you have done to turn your life around. Not having a BS degree might be a deciding factor. I know CHSU, Midwestern, and Chapman score candidates higher who are expecting or already have a BS. This basically means you have to blow everyone away during your interview. I would recommend two things. First, get an academic forgiveness for your bad grades 10 years ago. They take into account your current progress which should allow you to not even list these grades when applying to pharmacy school. Second, get a BS degree. Yeah I know it sucks, most programs have 90-99% of their incoming pharmacy class that has a BS.

Update:

Got accepted to Roseman, Western, Chapman.

Got interviews (that I didn't attentd): Hudson, CHSU

Reactions: 1 users
I read a similar thread about someone applying to DO med schools. Even if classes are 10 years ago, anything taken in college is considered. There is grade replacement though which may help