Will these courses be enough for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duke12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising senior and have recently solidified my interest in medicine and pursuing an MD, so far I've been taking the bare minimum premed prereqs and I'm not sure they'll be enough to adequately prepare me for the exam. I'm going to take the test in April and by then I'll have taken:
Gen Chem I & II
Orgo I & II
Evolutionary Bio
Physics I & II
Biochem I
Calc (2 semesters)
Genetics

I'm worried I won't have enough bio background? will the kaplan prep course be enough? I can't fit anymore bio in my schedule

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine.

What review course you take, if any, is up to you.

SN2ED's guide has been helpful to a ton of people on here, so you might want to check that out if you're motivated and disciplined enough to pick a schedule and stick to it.

Thank you! And yes his guide looks really really good, I plan on using that first then taking the 6 month Kaplan course.

wtf?

Why would you do his schedule and then take a 6 month course?

You shouldn't study longer than 3-4 months. You're going to do this over a year?

Dude, it's one test not a freaking masters degree!

Members don't see this ad :)
wtf?

Why would you do his schedule and then take a 6 month course?

You shouldn't study longer than 3-4 months. You're going to do this over a year?

Dude, it's one test not a freaking masters degree!

Agreed. Just do SN2's guide and put in the time and effort. He doesn't make guarantees but if you are dedicated a 30 should be doable.

I agree with the other posters.
Most standardized tests are best to take after studying for no longer than 3~4 months.
Longer than that you will probably burn out.
But it all depends I guess, most HS students in East Asia (Korea, Japan etc) study for their version of SAT for almost 2 years.
If you don't think you'll burn out, then go for it. If you're good at concentrating for a specific amount of time and giving it all, then don't go too long.

Also instead of evo. Biology, I would take Physiology, if that's an option. Physiology will definitely help you a lot. And anatomy, if you can fit it in too.

I'm a rising senior and have recently solidified my interest in medicine and pursuing an MD, so far I've been taking the bare minimum premed prereqs and I'm not sure they'll be enough to adequately prepare me for the exam. I'm going to take the test in April and by then I'll have taken:
Gen Chem I & II
Orgo I & II
Evolutionary Bio
Physics I & II
Biochem I
Calc (2 semesters)
Genetics

I'm worried I won't have enough bio background? will the kaplan prep course be enough? I can't fit anymore bio in my schedule

Aren't you eventually going to need to take standard Bio 1 and 2? If so, it'd be best to take them before the test.

I would recommend at least physiology if you can fit it in. Not sure if that'll be possible without bio though...

As others mentioned, you can learn the material from the review books, but I think it would be better - and I think you'd be more likely to really understand the material - if you learned everything from an actual course first.

Gen Chem I & II
Orgo I & II
Evolutionary Bio
Physics I & II
Biochem I
Calc (2 semesters)
Genetics

Dont you need basic biology to take upper level classes like evolution and biochem?