Will they let me come back?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdaddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have plans to attend medical school in Costa Rica (WHO listed. The reason I want to do this is because, number one I am already accepted, and number two it would take me a lot longer and cost a lot more money to qualify for and attend school in the US. I am married with an 18 month old son and another baby on the way. That is the main reason why I am so concerned about finances and time involved in completing my education, as I see life moving by quickly. Anyway, I am concerned from reading a few things about obtaining licensure that my school won't be considered "good enough" for me to get a license anywhere in the US. I am familiar with the ECFMG, etc., but it seems that licensure is really up to the discretion of the medical boards. I also won't have my B.S. before I attend school, which I am also afraid may hurt my chances. I want to go in to Pathology and I know it is less competitive, but that doesn't mean anything if I can't get a medical license in the first place. Please advise me on how to tell if my school is "good enough" and if it is worth doing. I appreciate any comments, even negative ones (as long as you don't rip on me personally). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most states do not regulate licensing based upon the school you attended as long as you have an ECFMG certificate (which is supposed to serve the purpose of ascertaining whether or not your education is legit).

There are some states, like California, which have additional requirements for IMGs, but I am not aware of any state which, as a matter of policy, restricts residency training for grads of certain schools.

However, just to be on the safe side, you should contact the Medical Board of the states in which you would be considering residency and medical practice, to see what their medical education requirements are. I am also unaware of any state which requires you to have a Bachelor's degree to be licensed as a medical doctor.

Before you make the final decision to go, please be aware of the ECFMG policies on obtaining a certificate, as well as the impact on your family. I have traveled to Costa Rica and found it lovely but have not heard anything about the medical school there.

Best of luck to you and please let us know if you have any other queries.

------------------
PGY1
Penn State University
Department of Surgery

Which school in CR have you been accepted to?

Maybe you will fall in love with Costa Rica and want to stay. I hear it's an pretty ok place to live.