MD Will this affect my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PJpony

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I started college in 2008 I was a pre-nursing major and I maintained a 4.0 gpa before applying to nursing school. I got in to the nursing program at a state school in my hometown which I began in spring 2011. I was doing well in my courses but right before finals I had some issues come up with my family and had to move out very suddenly; I lost some focus and ended up failing a course by less than 1 point (you need a 73 minimum on the final and I got 72.6 or something, no rounding). I was able to stay in the program and repeat this course the next semester and I earned a B.

The following semester was a heavy load, and left little time for me to work (I could maybe work 8 hours a week), I was still recovering from a car accident the previous semester, the family issues I was having before persisted and even worsened to some degree but I was determined to just keep going. I ended up failing another class the same way I had before, only I was not able to repeat the course and had to leave the program.

After this, I ended up changing my major to nutrition and was able to bring my cumulative gpa up to a 3.67. After that I went on to attend the University of Southern California and earned my Masters in Public Health last year with a 3.4 gpa. I have since decided that I could do so much more in public health with a clinical degree and since I really have always wanted to be a doctor I decided to just do it after finding out about some potential scholarship opportunities.

I'm currently working on completing additional courses in physics and chemistry and expect to do well and maintain my 4.0 science gpa and I plan to take the MCAT this spring and apply next summer.

Will my previous failure in nursing school affect my chances of getting in to medical school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

When I started college in 2008 I was a pre-nursing major and I maintained a 4.0 gpa before applying to nursing school. I got in to the nursing program at a state school in my hometown which I began in spring 2011. I was doing well in my courses but right before finals I had some issues come up with my family and had to move out very suddenly; I lost some focus and ended up failing a course by less than 1 point (you need a 73 minimum on the final and I got 72.6 or something, no rounding). I was able to stay in the program and repeat this course the next semester and I earned a B.

The following semester was a heavy load, and left little time for me to work (I could maybe work 8 hours a week), I was still recovering from a car accident the previous semester, the family issues I was having before persisted and even worsened to some degree but I was determined to just keep going. I ended up failing another class the same way I had before, only I was not able to repeat the course and had to leave the program.

After this, I ended up changing my major to nutrition and was able to bring my cumulative gpa up to a 3.67. After that I went on to attend the University of Southern California and earned my Masters in Public Health last year with a 3.4 gpa. I have since decided that I could do so much more in public health with a clinical degree and since I really have always wanted to be a doctor I decided to just do it after finding out about some potential scholarship opportunities.

I'm currently working on completing additional courses in physics and chemistry and expect to do well and maintain my 4.0 science gpa and I plan to take the MCAT this spring and apply next summer.

Will my previous failure in nursing school affect my chances of getting in to medical school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All grades taken for college credit will be considered in the AMCAS calculation of gpa.
Trend will also be considered.
Master's grades are not considered by MD schools in the evaluation of academic achievement.