Will This Bad Habit Hold me Back from Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm bringing this up because I've recently re-entered a habit that I managed to quit my junior year in high-school.

I guess the technical term is dermatophagia, but I basically have this habit where I chew the skin off of my thumb knuckle (disgusting I know). It's especially prevalent during stressful situations and as a result I couldn't resist from doing it since my first college midterms popped up. Like I said, I hadn't done it for 1.5 years but the stress got to me.

Anyways, there's a callus there that can be pretty noticeable depending on how much I've been disturbing it.

My question is, could this be a deterrent in dentistry? Will adcoms question my hands if they see this? Patients wouldn't care since I'd be wearing gloves, but it's just a thought.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, you need to see a professional. I see two cases:

1) You are for real and have undiagnosed anxiety issues. University will test your ability to stay sane. Then dental school will do the same again. then after 8 years of mental torture trying to cram stuff in and to come out with debt and self-doubt - a lot of dentists develop poor mental health as result. Please take care of yourself, relax, take a semester off to evaluate life, and come back stronger if needed.

2) You are a troll. In which case, again seek help. If you troll a pre-dent forum with hundreds of posts stemming from high school, you have personality disorders that will affect your relationships and overall happiness in the future. Dont feed your inner troll or else it will grow. Develop some hobbies instead.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
This person is a troll. Anyone responding to him/her is wasting their time, just like me. =(

So I'm bringing this up because I've recently re-entered a habit that I managed to quit my junior year in high-school.

I guess the technical term is dermatophagia, but I basically have this habit where I chew the skin off of my thumb knuckle (disgusting I know). It's especially prevalent during stressful situations and as a result I couldn't resist from doing it since my first college midterms popped up. Like I said, I hadn't done it for 1.5 years but the stress got to me.

Anyways, there's a callus there that can be pretty noticeable depending on how much I've been disturbing it.

My question is, could this be a deterrent in dentistry? Will adcoms question my hands if they see this? Patients wouldn't care since I'd be wearing gloves, but it's just a thought.
I can help you stop this one bad habit with one simple trick

Really though, no one cares, but it'll increase your risk of herpetic whitlow.

Man, you need to see a professional. I see two cases:

1) You are for real and have undiagnosed anxiety issues. University will test your ability to stay sane. Then dental school will do the same again. then after 8 years of mental torture trying to cram stuff in and to come out with debt and self-doubt - a lot of dentists develop poor mental health as result. Please take care of yourself, relax, take a semester off to evaluate life, and come back stronger if needed.

2) You are a troll. In which case, again seek help. If you troll a pre-dent forum with hundreds of posts stemming from high school, you have personality disorders that will affect your relationships and overall happiness in the future. Dont feed your inner troll or else it will grow. Develop some hobbies instead.

Just my 2 cents.
This person is a troll. Anyone responding to him/her is wasting their time, just like me. =(
1. Don't you think I would've come up with a more elaborate and believable method than this thread if I wanted to get a truly comedic reaction from the users of this site? Obviously you guys are above average intelligence, and knowing that you're already skeptical of me; I would've created an alt account if I was a serious troll. I've posted trollish things before purposely like the Walter Palmer thread but that was obvious. I can't understand how the topic-matter of this post is in any way provoking or otherwise indicative of a joke post.

2. Thank you for your concern, but I believe these 'anxiety' diagnoses have been greatly inflated over the years. It's almost like an excuse for every child to get out of something. I have been successful in my academic career thus far so I see no reason to assume I won't later.

3. I only care whether or not my grotesque habit will hold me back from admission.

I can help you stop this one bad habit with one simple trick

Really though, no one cares, but it'll increase your risk of herpetic whitlow.
Eww....I'm reminded of the diseases dentists are exposed to on a day-to-day basis :barf:

You may need to see a professional. No shame in it though! Most kids in dental school do see a professional because of high stress (very common!)
You need better ways to handle stress because the stress is incrementally more in dental school!

The thing about you is, that chewing your skin off and exposing your underlying tissue gets you into a high risk of infection (especially since dentists have a crazy risk of getting infections and you work with your hands).

Lastly, relax. Your health is more important than any degree. If you don't manage your health properly then you won't have anything.