Will this be the new exam for OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Expert

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all current OMFS residents, if you can kindly share your input.

OMFS programs currently use the CBSE to evaluate all applicants. However, the ADA will release a new exam called the ADAT in 2016 that's designed to become the entrance exam for all dental specialty programs. This, I believe, is because the NBDE went to P/F and there needed to be some new exam to replace the numerically scored NBDE that used to be used to evaluate applicants to dental residency programs. Does anybody know anything more about whether OMFS programs will continue to use CBSE as their main exam or whether they will switch over to the CBSE?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine we'll switch to the ADAT, as the CBSE is a ****show and hard to read in terms of how different programs do very differently on it

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not in a position of special knowledge but I think they'll keep the CBSE. It's a test that mirrors the USMLE step 1 whose topics seem germane to the field. It also had high utility as six year programs require students to take the USMLE once they matriculate.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in a position of special knowledge but I think they'll keep the CBSE. It's a test that mirrors the USMLE step 1 whose topics seem germane to the field. It also had high utility as six year programs require students to take the USMLE once they matriculate.

I agree with the Yapstar...higher ups fought for the cbse and theyre not going to scrap it so quick...and it prepares you extremely well for Step 1. I imagine that the people who facilitated the nbme cbse for aaoms were aware of the adat in the works and still went ahead with the cbse. They might require both...who knows, who cares.

I am an endodontist and my sister plans to apply to dental school. My husband is OMFS and I asked him the same question. He believes eventually programs will use ADAT. Remember ADA has upper hand, and they can even design PASS in a way so you have to submit ADAT in order to apply to post grad programs. It seems they have received feedbacks from program directors as well. The other angle of this change is asking dental schools to provide study time to dental students around the exam dates. Financially it is great for ADA too. 4 year programs don't need CBSE either, and their program directors might only ask for ADAT, therefore, ADAT might become more universal exam. 6 year programs can still ask for CBSE but then you have to take boards, ADAT, and CBSE which is not very easy! It kind of reminded us taking NBDE back then. I am confident OMFS applicants still score very well on new exam, and program directors will choose applicants with score above 90% of overall score.

The ADAT is still in the construct phase, with release scheduled for April 2016. It is being developed specifically because the NBDE was not intended to be a predictive exam. That is why the NBDE went P/F. With 8 dental schools currently grading on a P/F basis, it was established that a new metric was necessary to adequately evaluate post graduate applicants. The validity of the ADAT and its use will certainly be a subject of debate for some time until enough exams have been given.

Why not just change NBDE back to scoring rather than adding more stress on Dental students with ADAT. Dental school is tough already, creating new exams just makes it worst.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not just change NBDE back to scoring rather than adding more stress on Dental students with ADAT. Dental school is tough already, creating new exams just makes it worst.
More $$$$

Reactions: 1 user
Those who will apply for speciality programs in 2016 will have to take ADAT? or will it be functional in for 2017 applicants?

The NBDE was never designed to be used by PD's in the admission process, it is an assessment exam designed for the state dental boards to determine qualification for licensure. The ADAT is being designed as a predictive exam, much along the line of the DAT, LSAT, and MCAT.