Will this hurt chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DoogieMD22

Just out of curiosity, would fathering a child out of wed-lock in ones teenage years hurt their chances of being accepted by a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

No. If you have custody it can only help you that you have a child IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
They know everything...like freggin' santa claus, but cruel!

DoogieMD22 said:
Just out of curiosity, would fathering a child out of wed-lock in ones teenage years hurt their chances of being accepted by a medical school?

Make sure you dont apply to those christian medical schools, eg. Creighton, loma linda. I think in their eyes this might be a sin. haha

Only at Loma Linda, and only if you tell them.

I have no idea, but I hope not.

Zoom-Zoom said:
Agreed. I wouldn't sweat it at Loyola or Georgetown. The administration plays up the Jesuit thing for the marketers (lotta Catholics out there) but I can't imagine your average adcom is a raging Catholic by necessity.

I don't know about that. If you don't tell them they will never know, but adcoms are generally made up of old men who likely don't approve of these types of things.

dopaminesurge said:
I have no idea, but I hope not.

It would be distressing to hear that dopaminesurge was kept out of medical school for fathering a child in her teens :eek:

DoogieMD22 said:

How is that relevant to your aptitude or potential for success in the profession? If its not, then you know the answer. If it is,then how will you address it?

I am a single parent, had my daughter at 18. Don't hide it, don't apologize for it, play to it. Having a child teaches you things, show them what you've learned and if they have kids they'll understand. As for the possible moral disapproval, show them the responsibility and maturity one must have to raise a child, I think that far outweighs youthful (fill in the blank) but demonstrate it in your application somewhere.

(still trying to think of something cool to put here, may steal quote from Vox Animo)

Zoom-Zoom said:
Not at Loma Linda, even if you tell them.

I don't think it matters. Sometimes adcoms ask if you have any "outside obligations". So just be prepared to answer questions about your child. Just be a Proud Parent!!!!! :love:

I hope not...however I do not believe the religious schools would care because it would go agaisnst everything in the bible to be judgemental. So goodluck applying.

allthaticanbe said:
I hope not...however I do not believe the religious schools would care because it would go agaisnst everything in the bible to be judgemental. So goodluck applying.

Yeh, everyone knows that Christian groups, Churches, and denominations are never judgemental. :laugh:

Sorry for the sarcasm. I do agree with you, yet it is a sad reality that religious groups so often seem to forget fundamentals like the one that you stated.

Dr. Roket said:
I am a single parent, had my daughter at 18. Don't hide it, don't apologize for it, play to it. Having a child teaches you things, show them what you've learned and if they have kids they'll understand. As for the possible moral disapproval, show them the responsibility and maturity one must have to raise a child, I think that far outweighs youthful (fill in the blank) but demonstrate it in your application somewhere.

(still trying to think of something cool to put here, may steal quote from Vox Animo)

Buddy's got good taste

NovemberWhiskey said:
I don't know about that. If you don't tell them they will never know, but adcoms are generally made up of old men who likely don't approve of these types of things.

You don't know adcoms.

There is a general "don't ask, don't tell" when it comes to marriage, sexual orientation, parenting, pregnancy. Everyone is so afraid of offending or being accused of discrimination that interviewers just won't go there. I can't think of anywhere on the application where one would put something like that. I guess it could go on a supplemental as a challenge that was overcome but it would be off-putting. You also should consider that it wouldn't be the "out of wedlock" thing that would worry an adcom but "are the kid's needs going to be a distraction and prevent the student from being successful in med school?" that's an adcom's biggest concern -- having applicants that can't cut it. (second biggest worry: someone totally unsuited to being a physician). Don't give the adcom something to worry about.