Will this hurt my chances at a residency spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_van_Nostrand

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So to get right to the point, I'm a big guy. I played linebacker in college at a small school and after college I kept lifting weights. Nobody would accuse me of being obese (could drop a few) but it is more the fact that I have lots of muscle.

I'm currently an M1 and have cut back on working out due to necessity, but will a perceived lack of fine motor skills hurt my chances down the road for a specialty like ophtho?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. They don't allow anyone who can bench over 225lbs into Ophthalmology.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess if you have poor fine motor skills it would? But you can demonstrate that your fine motor skills are indeed fine despite your massive mitts, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess if you have poor fine motor skills it would? But you can demonstrate that your fine motor skills are indeed fine despite your massive mitts, right?

I have no reason to think otherwise, just didn't know if I'd have the opportunity to demonstrate that at an interview.

I mean on your rotations and such. If your evaluations say you’re a clumsy oaf maybe you’ll have problems, otherwise probably not. FWIW I have met ophthalmologists of many and varied bodily habitus.

a) you're probably not as swole as you think you are. b) most people don't relate your muscle to how well you can operate

Reactions: 1 users