Will this research cause adcoms to question motives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted895369

For those who have interviewed before (or adcoms can join in too), how much stress does the admissions committee put on what sort of research you are doing?
I am at a very physical-science heavy school, but I have the option of either doing research on drug development for cancer or polymer synthesis for supercapacitors. While I think the drug development lab would definitely be interesting, I'm really intrigued by the polymer synthesis lab because it would help me bring together my interest in chemistry and physics.
Do you think I would realistically get a question in an interview where the adcom doubts my interest in medicine because I didn't display an interest for medicine in my research? Is there a good way for me to answer this question?
If I've overthinking this, just yell at me :)

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have interviewed before (or adcoms can join in too), how much stress does the admissions committee put on what sort of research you are doing?
I am at a very physical-science heavy school, but I have the option of either doing research on drug development for cancer or polymer synthesis for supercapacitors. While I think the drug development lab would definitely be interesting, I'm really intrigued by the polymer synthesis lab because it would help me bring together my interest in chemistry and physics.
Do you think I would realistically get a question in an interview where the adcom doubts my interest in medicine because I didn't display an interest for medicine in my research? Is there a good way for me to answer this question?

There are many medical applications for materials science - perhaps not for your specific polymer but for many others.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're overthinking this i am yelling at you

As @Goro likes to say:

OP, listen to the 'Dawg

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a physical scientist. There are a million applications for physical science in medicine. For MD only nobody will care what your research was about (I've been to my MD only interview and I talked about my research, maybe a third of my entire app, for approximately two sentences) as long as you learned something, were productive, and secured strong letters from the experience.

Also polymer synthesis for supercapacitors is 1000 times more interesting than drug design (kill me, I'm bored just thinking about it) so good choice.

The type of research you do doesn't matter. As long as you show intellectual curiosity, you're fine.
But as @gonnif and @Goro would tell you, research is waaaay overrated.

Reactions: 1 user
We don't care if you go study clams in Fijo, as long as you learn about the scientific method.

It's a pre-med delusion that everything about your app has to be about Medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all for your help! Sorry I'm so neurotic... looks like its time to take a break from SDN...