Will UCC issue your diploma early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an acceptance for the GEP from UCC and would love to go. I would like to come home to Canada for residency after school but am realistic about not being able to match into a specialty. I would also like to enter the US match (on an H1B) and am married to an Irish citizen so will be able to obtain my Irish citizenship and stay there for residency if need be.

It seems to be a very complicated process to enter the match in all 3 countries so I was hoping somebody could double check my time line.

Year 1 Aug. 24/09 to July 3/10
Spend this summer studying for USMLE 1 and MCCEE

Year 2 Sept. 1/10 to July 3/11
Write the USMLE 1 and MCCEE at the end of summer 2011

Year 3 Sept. 1/11 to May/12
Write the USMLE 2 CS and CK and try to get as many rotations in Canada and the US as possible completed.

Year 4 Sept. 1/12 to May/13
Try to do all rotations without any major breaks so all are completed by November. Get ECFMG cert., write USMLE 3 and MCCQE 1 and enter US and Canadian match. Will graduate by the end of May and should have an internship spot in Ireland if I don't match in Canada/US.

I guess my main question is whether Cork will issue your diploma any earlier than the end of May if all rotations are done so you may enter the US match and be eligible for an H1B without losing a year?

Thank you.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

UCC will help you out if you need your diploma early and they specifically asked us to contact them if we needed this for a US program. Best of luck.

UCC will help you out if you need your diploma early and they specifically asked us to contact them if we needed this for a US program. Best of luck.

Scary how my plan is exactly like yours, and I'm also a British citizen studying meds in the UK...

So medical schools allow you to get your MBBS a bit early? Cause Im in the same dilemma with H1-B visa (I'm canadian citizen as well). I need to write Step 3 before I graduate, and get the ecfmg certification.

And I would rather not burn a year in the UK doing internship if I can match into the states...