Will UNE "Medical Biochemistry" replace "Biochemistry"? Having "medical" in the title worries me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlugMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after finally deciding to enroll in UNE to replace my old Biochem grade I noticed that it had the word "medical" in the title.

I am a bit worried about the course title of UNE's Biochem class will prevent it from being used as a replacement for the Biochem class I took.

AACOMAS hasn't been very straight with their policies. How "similar" do course titles have to be? I am currently in "General Physics 1" and it will replace "Introductory Physics 1"

In the Fall, I will be taking what is called "General Microbiology" to replace "Microbiology"

I think "general" in the course title is acceptable but I am worried about the "medical" in the title.

Have anyone recently replaced their old class titled "Biochemistry" with "Medical Biochemistry"?

Furthermore, does the word "medical" even appear on the UNE transcripts? I was looking at other UNE classes i.e medical biology 1 and 2 and medical general chemistry 1 and 2 that also have "medical" in the title.

On the other hand, classes like genetics, O-Chem 1 and 2, Stats, anatomy, physics, and micro don't have "medical" in their title.

Thanks in advance for the help, I know this is a weird question and I maybe over thinking it.

Members don't see this ad.

Transcripts do have "medical" in the title.

Retakes at the same school must have the same prefix or you will have to send forms and make some calls to get the initial course replaced.

However, if taken at another school, courses must be similar in title, content, etc. Course prefix can be different from my understanding.

Folks are having trouble getting grades replaced initially but with some extra work (like we don't have enough), seems like most people are getting them worked out.

Are they the same course content? I think that would be indicative of whether it will count as a grade replacement. They may be similar, but to me it sounds like they will be different courses. If you are worried about fulfilling a pre-req then I'm sure the medical biochem will be fine. If you're worried about grade replacement though, I would imagine it would not replace your old grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they the same course content? I think that would be indicative of whether it will count as a grade replacement. They may be similar, but to me it sounds like they will be different courses. If you are worried about fulfilling a pre-req then I'm sure the medical biochem will be fine. If you're worried about grade replacement though, I would imagine it would not replace your old grade.

They aren't the same content but similar. I'm NOT worried about fulfilling a prereq, I am specifically looking at replacing the C I got the first time.

Check out UNE's syllabus (available on the website without registering for course). The course covers exactly what any college Biochemistry course covers. The only difference is the "medical" portion of the title. If AACOMAS does not replace the original course, file an appeal.

Quite frankly, this whole grade replacement thing is getting ridiculous. Maybe I am missing something but a course with similar title and similar content in a similar department will count as a retake. I really cannot see why this course would not count.

Check out UNE's syllabus (available on the website without registering for course). The course covers exactly what any college Biochemistry course covers. The only difference is the "medical" portion of the title. If AACOMAS does not replace the original course, file an appeal.

Quite frankly, this whole grade replacement thing is getting ridiculous. Maybe I am missing something but a course with similar title and similar content in a similar department will count as a retake. I really cannot see why this course would not count.

You make a good point and I didn't know that you could file an appeal if it doesn't work out. I really want to take this course because it seems well put together and it has gotten good reviews from the posts I've seen on SDN. It would be a shame if I took it and it didn't count.