Will you do counseling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldladypremed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the role of the psychiatrist in real world practice. Do you see yourselves doing counseling and psychotherepy or mostly diagosing and managing medication?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Certainly there is a place for therapy in a private practice setting (even in an inpatient setting) but I don't know if it's my cup of tea. Kudos to those who can and do heal with words, though.

Thats interesting RXG,

Can I ask how you see your practice in the future? Do you see yourself working in a hospital setting or private practice or some combination? Will you do mostly diagnosing and med management?

I'm really struggling with this career choice and I'm trying to get a good sense of what the practice is really like. I'll soon be starting a volunteer stint at a local psych hospital so I'll be able to see it close up, but meanwhile I'd really love to get as many views as I can.

Thanks!

Oldlady

Personally, I see myself either working in a group practice doing mainly med maintainence, or possibly a group where time in spent between inpatient and outpatient. Alternatively, there is always the option of working full time in a state hospital (your benefits & insurance coverage are GREAT). It sounds like you really do enjoy the therapy side of things, which as I said is certainly something that has a place in psychiatry (not just psychology). I'd go ahead and get a feel for the mental health field, then decide what your best options are.