Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Will you use the US News Top Med School Rankings in your Decision?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GoSpursGo, Nov 29, 2008.

?

Will you use the US News Top Med School Rankings in your Decision?

1. Yes; in general I think they accurately rank schools by quality

10 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Yes; I doubt they rank quality accurately, but the prestige will probably factor into my decision

69 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. No; my decision will be based solely on tangible factors (location, tuition, general "feel", etc)

36 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    At this point, I think the argument over whether the US News top Med School Rankings have any real meaning has been beaten to the point that everyone has decided one way or another whether to put any stock in the rankings. That said, this poll is just as simple as it sounds: regardless of your belief in whether or not the US News rankings are meaningful, realistically, will the "prestige" of going to a higher-ranked med school factor into your decision if you are lucky enough to get to choose between multiple offers? Secondarily, do you believe that the US News Rankings are meaningful?

Please elaborate on your responses below. In particular, I'm interested in knowing whether the size of the difference in ranking would affect whether you would take the Rankings into account when you make your decision; i.e., if you were indifferent towards a school ranked five spots above a school that you loved in your interview, would you care about the rankings? What if the difference was 20 spots? What if the school you were indifferent about was in the top 20 and the school you loved was unranked?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SDN2013

SDN2013 Athens
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Question is, which school offers a cup holder at every seat?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MadEvans

MadEvans is a warm gun
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    This one is pretty high on my list as well.

4. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes it will:eek: I know it means nothing, but having I Y chromosome, I have a large ego, which accompanies it:smuggrin:, and as such the rankings does make a difference. But it is not the only factor. In my opinion 5 spots does not make too much of a difference, like if I had to choose (which I never will have to:rolleyes:) I would choose UCLA over UCSF because of location and family, and my unexplained dislike for the city of SF even though it is a "better" and "higher ranked" schools.

Now there were a few schools that I visited that blew me away, even though they were not as "highly ranked" as the other schools, but the rankings have pervaded my mindset so much that I seem to inherently like the "higher ranked" schools better than the "lower ranked" schools, which is sad, because there are so many good med schools in the US, and just because they do not have the best research, which is what the US NEWS rankings measures, does not mean that it is not good for turning out good clinicians who care about the patients rather than where their next grant will come from...

But location, cost, family, and other factors will also decide where I will go to med schools, cuz I am not sure I could survive in an overly urban med school considering that I spent most of my life in suburbia, and I am rather family oriented, so I would not go to school in the middle of nowhere, unless it is awesome (like Dartmouth;)), and I am not going to go into extra debt just because some school was 5 points higher on US NEWS than another school, so it is a mixture of things that influences my final decision...

Going back to your original question: It will play a role...unfortunately...:(

5. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
    Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The US news data will play a roll, just because the various numbers they compile are rather useful. The rankings might, but not too much.

6. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I think it's funny that "feel" is listed as a tangible factor.

7. airplanes

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey I have the same problem...only it applies to buying stuff. :laugh:
    The higher priced shoes, clothes, etc. all seem way more preferable to me after seeing their high price tag in relation to similar cheaper items.

8. Bacchus

Attending Physician
    No, but I didn't get accepted to any allopathic schools. :smuggrin:

9. Chemist0157

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I really just disregard those rankings. I subscribed to US News to get that other information like cost, admissions, etc. rather than for their ranking system. I'm sure they provide an overall picture of the school rankings, but I imagine the difference between oh say #9 and #10 (maybe even #10 and #15 with the way many schools tie) is debatable.

Frankly, I've always considered this "prestige" factor to be overrated. We can get great educations ANYWHERE, and I don't see a satisfactory cost/reward ratio with some of those more revered schools. I come from Podunk University and for me to have an opportunity to attend any medical school is simply fantastic.

10. OP
    OP
    GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!

Fellow [Any Field]
    Lol I guess it was kinda late at night when I made this poll...

I guess what I was trying to say is that at least with "feel" you have something you can say draws you personally to the school, beyond just the numbers, i.e., student body personality. Not sure if that's a "tangible" something or not...

11. efitzpat

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Not at all. I've had very limited exposure to schools, but Toledo was very impressive. If rankings had any play, then I would simply disregard the school. However, the only hesitation I have about the school is the cold and distance from select family members.

Also, I haven't enjoyed my undergrad. I will be sure to pick (hopefully I'll have options) a medical school in a place that I like to live, and with a curriculum that suits me.

12. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think Ive seen the rankings like one time (i looked up the osteopathic school that is in the primary care ranking), and Ive never looked at them with the intention of gaining valuable information regarding my school decisions. As far as i'm concerned US news rankings don't exist.

13. Lukkie

Lukkie Membership Revoked
    Removed

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    you're damn right i am.

14. iduwanna

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yes, they say ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

15. Rabbit36

Rabbit36 Lagomorphadelic
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    They factor in convincing my crazy mom that despite her never having heard of it, UCSF is in fact a great school. :rolleyes:

16. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No, even when looking at prestige I disagree with the order of the USNews list on many counts.

17. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not interested in research, so their rankings mean nothing to me since they're based on how many research dollars the schools get.

18. parafilm

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My GPA isn't good enough to base my decision on rankings... I'll take what I can get.

Still, if I had to choose between schools, location and tuition are more important factors for me.

19. HeatherMD

HeatherMD Queen of Passiveagressiva
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    ditto that!

but on the other hand, I won't be applying to some lower ranked schools just because.

Aside from Tulane, I'm not interested in living in the American south..

20. Bacchus

Attending Physician
    NOLA is a great city.

21. HeatherMD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    /never heard of Nola

22. Rabbit36

Rabbit36 Lagomorphadelic
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    NOLA = New Orleans, LA

23. HeatherMD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I am going to look like such a ****** when I visit the US for interviews.

24. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SDN and its acronyms. :laugh:

I'd never heard that one either.

25. OP
    OP
    GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!

Fellow [Any Field]
    Neither have I and I live only one state over :)

26. ButImLETired

ButImLETired Prodigal member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To me, they matter to a very small extent. They're just yet another "factor" in whatever final decision I have to make, and they definitely come after all the location/finaid/"fit"/curriculum concerns. I don't feel guilty about the fact that I'm considering them because I would like to go into academia, so research focus and "name" will definitely come in handy. Also, I heard that it's easier to get an away rotation at a prestigious hospital coming from a prestigious med school than from a random one, and since all the cities in which I'd like to practice medicine are basically full of prestigious hospitals, that'll also come in handy.

27. Kaydubz

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think I'll just clone myself, send them to each school, and have them report back to me.

28. Decicco

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've heard this as well. Its hard for me to measure the "prestige" of a medical school, considering that I am not a residency director. Does anyone know if the University of Iowa is considered prestigous by residencies outside the midwest? It is ranked in the 30s in USNews, and I know that it has an excellent midwest reputation... but that is about it.

29. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm not ignorant. I know that US News ranks the schools, but as far as my criteria and how I am going to choose the school that I attend, I could care less what they think are the best programs. They can't possibly tell me what school is best FOR ME, and thats all that matters. So, I dont even bother looking at their rankings.

30. JLC

JLC
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    and do portray the quality of education and opportunities that one can get from schools.

Before I get chewed up here are my reasons:
    First, the top schools are all associated with top medical centers, whether it allows you to get into a good residency or you get to be taught by literally the best physicians in the country (or shadow them, watever, the opportunity is there)

Second, the money put into research IS VERY MUCH IMPORTANT to the health care industry. Places with research will be at the forefront of medicine now and the future. Whether being just exposed to that kind of atmosphere or being actively involved is what makes these schools what they are.

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, the student peers are what makes the schools different, students at each school will share interests whatever they are.

Hence I used the USNEWs ranking in my selection of schools I wanted to apply to. I guess ultimately the definition of "best" is the variable but to me USNEWs ranking were right along to what I hoped to get from med schools (if I can get in)