William Beaumont Hospital Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

H2Oasis

Does anybody know about this program. It's community-Based but I don't know about the whole program. Any resident from there by any chance?I've heard it's better than other Comm-Based in this State(MI).Any feedback is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know about this program. It's community-Based but I don't know about the whole program. Any resident from there by any chance?I've heard it's better than other Comm-Based in this State(MI).Any feedback is appreciated

bumping an old thread rather than create a new one.
Can anyone give more information about William Beaumont Path residency?

I rotated through there for a month, if you PM me with more specific questions I can tell you what I know. If you end up finding a resident there, I am sure they can give you much more information. The faculty there have pretty good credentials; there seems to be a lot of throughput/exposure without overburdening residents; people were friendly and seemed generally happy. The hospital is well-managed and the immediate region is very livable, though maybe not as exciting as some cities. There will soon be a new medical school associated with this hospital so it may in some part become more academic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beaumont is semi-academic. There are some faculty there who are fairly well known in pathology circles as diagnosticians and clinical researchers/authors. Beaumont's surgical pathology model, however, is based on high volume and turnaround time. Resident education is a secondary priority to getting cases out. That is not to say that residents do not get a quality education, but it has weaknesses. Residents do not get very much preview time (unless they have changed things - and if they tell you they do I would make sure to get specifics from people there). It is a huge hospital, perhaps the biggest in the state. I do not think they have any fellowships.

These points above are true of every program you visit though - if there are certain things you want to make sure your program has (like preview time) be careful about taking one person's word for it without getting specifics.

Beaumont is semi-academic. There are some faculty there who are fairly well known in pathology circles as diagnosticians and clinical researchers/authors. Beaumont's surgical pathology model, however, is based on high volume and turnaround time. Resident education is a secondary priority to getting cases out. That is not to say that residents do not get a quality education, but it has weaknesses. Residents do not get very much preview time (unless they have changed things - and if they tell you they do I would make sure to get specifics from people there). It is a huge hospital, perhaps the biggest in the state. I do not think they have any fellowships.

These points above are true of every program you visit though - if there are certain things you want to make sure your program has (like preview time) be careful about taking one person's word for it without getting specifics.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you feel the same about nearby Henry Ford?

I know even less about Henry Ford. I think (think) that Ford is a bit less competitive in landing good candidates than Beaumont is (majority of their residents are foreign graduates). I do not know anything about their preview time and resident rotations. It is also in a worse physical location. Also a huge hospital though. And the residents certainly are active in submitting abstracts to national meetings. The chairman at Ford is nationally known as an expert on laboratory management and organization (lean principles, etc).