William Carey University - College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.34 science

29 MCAT

I am an Alabama resident now, but grew up in Jackson and graduated from HS there and my wife and I are ready to move home to Mississippi. I will be applying in 4 months for August 2011 and am glad to know that my numbers will be in line with that! Thank you for sharing.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Michigan and I applied months ago and haven't heard anything. I don't expect to get an interview at this point, but it would be nice to know if any people that are not from the South have gotten interviews/acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Colorado and was offered an interview last Monday for February 16th but had to postpone because out of the 365 days in the year that I could have been offered, I was offered an interview on the ONLY day of the year that I had a commitment I couldn't break, so I asked if I could schedule for the next available. I was told they hadn't finalized any further interview dates yet (Emily said that there would be more, so they aren't done) but that they should have an idea when the next round of interviews would be very soon and I would be contacted once those dates were made available. Hoping to hear back soon because at this time I am kicking myself in the head for not just canceling my other commitment and just going to this. I read somewhere in this thread that around the 19th of January that they had only granted 39 interviews and had given 35 acceptances... anyone know the validity of this and if it is/was valid what the updated statistics are now?

i could be mistaken, but when i had interviewed on 1/22 i thought they had accepted 39. only 22 had payed their deposits at that time.

i know at least three of us were accepted from that morning, and id venture to say that majority of the 10 that interviewed that day were accepted.

i think they held interviews yesterday and im pretty sure they will be this friday. so possibly almost 60 accepted applicants but probably less than half the spots have been secured. anybody else know anything?

Jaw132-

Congratulations, did you accept the invitation to WC?

I know they have rec'd over 800 applications so I am sure it is getting more difficult as time goes by to get through them. Also, I would think some of the applicates may already have had interviews and are comtemplating other schools. I think WC is going to be a really good choice for medical students.

first interview to william carey woo hoo... just wish i would have applied earlier. wow this is such an amazing feeling. imagine an adult man crying when he got the email, thats me...

It seems like most people who get interviews get in. Whats your insight and/or opinion?

It's no guarantee of course but there is an urgency for the school to fill seats so I will agree with what you've pointed out about the ratio of acceptances to interviews being high, although that immediate need may teeter off as they reach their target number of students.

Part of me hopes the actual reason is due to the process they currently use for selecting applicants to interview. I want to say they are handpicking the interviewees, meaning you've got something about you that they noticed and liked. Good luck. Leave them with warm fuzzies is what I've always heard is the trick to success.

Hey guys, i am wondering if any of you have heard or have information on how the classes will be setup? Meaning will there be recorded lectures/video archives? My friend goes to a school in New York and they have it setup whereas a private company types up recorded lectures for the medical students. I thought this would be something very useful especially for pioneering first year medical students. Let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, i am wondering if any of you have heard or have information on how the classes will be setup? Meaning will there be recorded lectures/video archives? My friend goes to a school in New York and they have it setup whereas a private company types up recorded lectures for the medical students. I thought this would be something very useful especially for pioneering first year medical students. Let me know what you think.

Why use a third party note taking service? Maybe the class SGA could organize an official group that is responsible for transcribing the lectures. Voice recordings will probably be left to the discretion of the professor and I doubt there would be a problem getting permission. The only issue might be with the fact that it could encourage absence forgiveness but I believe they have a strict policy setup to deal with truancy. At any rate, this is something that the SGA should address once the officers have been established and begin convening meetings. Hit me with a PM if and when you get in sinceritynlife.

Last edited:
I'm in! and looking forward to it.

I am immensely in favor of a 3rd party/student group note taking service. I want to be sure that I don't miss anything from the lectures. I think that I am pretty good about note taking but a third party/student group service is an advantage. I want every advantage that I can get to do well in med school.

Does anyone know about the class schedules yet? I was wondering what our typical day is going to look like once we get started. I also haven't found facebook group for the "WCU-COM class of 2014". I would like to get one started. In the interest avoiding repetition, I thought that I would inquire on here before I started a facebook group for the inaugural class. I'd like to get to know some of my future classmates so if those of you who have been accepted think that a facebook group would be a good place to get started getting to know each other let me know about it on this forum.

anyone heard back about interview invites lately? I submitted all of my applications late (secondaries in december) and I haven't heard back from WCU yet. Anyone else in the same boat?

I do not know about the interview invites. I think it depends on where you are from. Has anyone heard back from their recent interviews?

I'm in! and looking forward to it.
Does anyone know about the class schedules yet? I was wondering what our typical day is going to look like once we get started.

We should get a day by day schedule during orientation according to the tentative student handbook.

I also haven't found facebook group for the "WCU-COM class of 2014".

Emily Bennett is administrator of the class facebook group. She will send you an invite. It's still pretty early so there isn't much buzz on the group page but I'm sure over the summer it will pick up some steam. In the meantime, congrats!

Christine and STATGAL,

I interviewed on Feb 12th and got my acceptance letter in less than 1 week. It snowed that day so there were only 4 of us that were able to make it. Don't know what the status of the others that interiewed that day is.

CREATIVENAME
Thanks for the info on the day to day schedule and I found the facebook group and am a member now.

Congrats!!

Me too!!!:)

I was the first one you met... if I am guessing who you are correctly...

we met in the bathroom? lol. yay last minute makeup. congrats, too! i was really sold on the school. my fam is a bit freaked out about it being brand new and all, and trying to convince me to wait and see where else i'll get accepted. but i'm hooked and i doubt i'll change my mind. what about you?

Yep...
Me too, I think the school is going to be great!
- i wish we had gotten to go on a tour, I thought i bombed my interview and rushed off upset and didn't get a look at the place...

Last edited:
What's the stat for those who received interview and got accepted if you don't mind sharing? Are you all in-state as well? I completed my application in Nov but have not heard anything from them yet.

What's the stat for those who received interview and got accepted if you don't mind sharing? Are you all in-state as well? I completed my application in Nov but have not heard anything from them yet.

3.95 Cumulative
4.0 Science
25 MCAT

Regional

Application Completed February received interview offer same week

3.4 GPA
25 MCAT
MS resident

Application completed mid November. Accepted December 8th.

As it stands, the last update from Emily
reports the class at:
59 Accepted
32 Deposits Received

I understand you wanting to have some idea of where you stand shinny but I wouldn't put too much stock in SDN self reported stats. Relying too heavily upon anecdotal evidence is the road to misconception. More productive pursuits might be to submit a letter of intent to reinforce your secondary and perhaps even calling to set up a meeting with a school representative. Outside of those means reasonably available or not, I caution you that the numbers you see may only lead to establishing a false frame of reference as to what the admissions committee is looking for. Overall it shouldn't serve to discourage you and especially don't let it lead to any feelings of unfair treatment. Take them with a positive grain of salt.

Thanks.

Application completed mid November. Accepted December 8th.

As it stands, the last update from Emily
reports the class at:
59 Accepted
32 Deposits Received

I understand you wanting to have some idea of where you stand shinny but I wouldn't put too much stock in SDN self reported stats. Relying too heavily upon anecdotal evidence is the road to misconception. More productive pursuits might be to submit a letter of intent to reinforce your secondary and perhaps even calling to set up a meeting with a school representative. Outside of those means reasonably available or not, I caution you that the numbers you see may only lead to establishing a false frame of reference as to what the admissions committee is looking for. Overall it shouldn't serve to discourage you and especially don't let it lead to any feelings of unfair treatment. Take them with a positive grain of salt.

First of all, CONGRATS to all my fellow WCU classmates! I can't wait to meet you all!

To all those still interviewing/waiting for responses GOOD LUCK and I hope to see you soon :)

I talked with Dr. Murphy today and he said that everything is coming along wonderfully! There have been over 1000 applicants which I think is absolutely outstanding! This state has needed this for some time and I'm glad it has finally happened. From what I understand the there have been approx. 60 acceptances and over half have paid deposits, with a few still pending.

Good luck to all and huge congratulations to those already accepted!

oh, by the way I was accepted Dec. 8th...creativename, were you in the morning or 1:00 group?

there needs to be more life on this thread :D. i'm excited out of my mind!

if i get accepted i'll bring more then just life to this thread lol

Anyone know if WCU is still interviewing and/or how full they may be?

when did you apply?

about three or four weeks ago. i had no idea william carey had an osteopathic school. im pretty sure i did not see the option to apply to william carey on acomas back in september, but im hoping i'll get my secondary and hopefully get an interview

about three or four weeks ago. i had no idea william carey had an osteopathic school. im pretty sure i did not see the option to apply to william carey on acomas back in september, but im hoping i'll get my secondary and hopefully get an interview

it was added to aacomas in mid-september. no wonder you missed it. good luck!

I received an email today inviting me to interview at the end of this month. I am very excited.

there needs to be more life on this thread :D. i'm excited out of my mind!

Keep it in your pants poet sings. j/k. i agree this thread is begging for some resuscitating and I nominate you to do the honors of keeping the jibber jabber alive and well. Or maybe...mayhaps... Might it be time to introduce the SDN Medical Student forum to the official WCU Class of 2014!!!1!(log10) thread? I just don't know if we're ready yet. What do you guys(ya'll) think? Ready to bust out of this premed bubble or would it be better to wait for a more manifest moment?

Keep it in your pants poet sings. j/k. i agree this thread is begging for some resuscitating and I nominate you to do the honors of keeping the jibber jabber alive and well. Or maybe...mayhaps... Might it be time to introduce the SDN Medical Student forum to the official WCU Class of 2014!!!1!(log10) thread? I just don't know if we're ready yet. What do you guys(ya'll) think? Ready to bust out of this premed bubble or would it be better to wait for a more manifest moment?

i'll try, but it won't be easy! :p

i'm all for starting a thread once i actually get my paperwork sent in (which means i have to receive it first!). i've joined the facebook group already, though. maybe a more "manifest" moment would be once the first building is finished? so it can be all official and stuff? or are we just being too sentimental about the whole thing :laugh:?

Anyone know if WCU is still interviewing and/or how full they may be?
1/3 full, no idea how many interviews they're cranking out per month. Class size of 100 to 108. I don't fully understand the 108 but I'm guessing it has to do with a provision for a brimming class with the off chance of a deposit fiasco. Like a bank run for seats, sort of like in musical chairs. ???:shrug: I have no idea what I'm talking about. Anyways, yes, the interviews are still in full swing.

My congratulations to the first group of interviewees...and my humblest apologies for not being there. Also, please forgive this long missive.

I am in Washington, DC for the AMA's Third National Congress on Health System Readiness: Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness in the 21st Century. The late Dr. Strosnider appointed me as the AOA Liason for this group...exciting conference and good curricular material that you will receive in school.

The tone set at the interviews is one of hospitality...if not we want to know about it.

I enjoy Mythbusters and will now comment on some of the postings in the thread.

- "less inclined to sift through the applications..." This clearly is not the case. Dr. Weir, Associate Dean, Student Affairs has a keen sense for applicants. He and Ms. Bennett have spent hours on the applications and in selecting those who will be interviewed. Each application and applicant receives individual and personal review. It is not beyond Dr. Weir to call an applicant who looks good but is missing something from the secondary.
-"...generous acceptances..." There is nothing generous about them. If you got accepted (not just here, but anywhere) you were found deserving of the opportunity to study medicine...you earned it. Others have invested their lives in you (and you in your own), and this is the payoff. We will interview until the class is full. The Dean will call you if accepted...if the Dean is tied up with AOA or other business, I will call you.
- "Class size of 100." The initial class size is 100 and will remain so for the next five years. COCA has approved the COM for 100 seats and it permits eight percent overage to allow for attrition. Thus, WCU-COM can accept 108 students.
- The building is coming along...I just checked our website and Facebook and see that we have not got the most recent pics in queue. I will send Emily an email...she's getting ready for next week's interviews.
- The interview really is about assessing fit. We are looking at you just as much as you are looking at us. If not accepted, it is not necessarily because you couldn't do the work...it might be because in the eyes of the COM it is not a good fit. If accepted and you do not choose to come to WCU...ultimately it is because you decide that it is not a fit.

Shakespeare said "Brevity is the soul of wit." I have been to long...but thought it important enough to comment.

Slainte,

DrL

1/3 full, no idea how many interviews they're cranking out per month. Class size of 100 to 108. I don't fully understand the 108 but I'm guessing it has to do with a provision for a brimming class with the off chance of a deposit fiasco. Like a bank run for seats, sort of like in musical chairs. ???:shrug: I have no idea what I'm talking about. Anyways, yes, the interviews are still in full swing.

there's your answer. i'm guessing this 8% is the average attrition rate or something? that i don't know. but it would make sense if that's the protective buffer % used to make sure the class size stays at 100.

i'll try, but it won't be easy! :p

i'm all for starting a thread once i actually get my paperwork sent in (which means i have to receive it first!). i've joined the facebook group already, though. maybe a more "manifest" moment would be once the first building is finished? so it can be all official and stuff? or are we just being too sentimental about the whole thing :laugh:?

They still don't have those buildings finished yet? Watch them be working on it all the way up till the first day of class.

I don't remember receiving any paperwork. The acceptance letter was all the paperwork I got. Let's face it once you're in the facebook group you're good to go. That's pretty much setting it in stone. No takesies backsies.

there's your answer. i'm guessing this 8% is the average attrition rate or something? that i don't know. but it would make sense if that's the protective buffer % used to make sure the class size stays at 100.

I'll go with that explanation. I mean I get the waitlist pool and all that jazz. It just seems odd that they say the class size is 100 but what they really mean to say is that it's 108 but hey I'm all for rounding to the nearest hundred. Plus it saves having to ask what happened to those other 8 guys we started off with. If you've ever been deep sea diving with dawdling novices you know to adjust for attrition.

108 go in. On average, only 100 come out. I guess that adjust for the whole 4 years as well. Those are good odds. I just have to make sure to sabotage 8 other people and I've guaranteed my success.:cool:

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I have been keeping up with this thread for some time and I thought I should finally chime in. I interviewed at WCU on Dec. 8th and was accepted. I am very excited about meeting all of my future classmates. Any of you that have been accepted found a place to live yet? Right now finding a place is one of my top priorities, but anyways congrats to all of you accepted and good luck to all of you still going through the application process!

Where is Emily?!?!?!?!?!?! I have been calling her everyday for the last two weeks and I have yet to get a response from her (goes directly to her voice mail). Have any of you spoken with Emily in the past week????? I'm starting to think shes actually carmen sandiego

you got a secondary in the middle of the night? weird. but try emailing her. i emailed her on monday and got a response like an hour later.

Hello there, I've tried for the past two weeks as well to get incontact with Emily and I've gotten no response from her. I've even emailed her from two different email address and nothing. Should I call her? there is always a fine line between annoying and persistance. Help anyone :confused: