WaitingKills

Rockstar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Ok. Very excited here.

I've just spoken to a professor at a university that I've applied to for a clinical Ph.D. Applications have not yet closed, though I have already sent mine in.

Anyway, we spoke for about 10-15 minutes about research interests, my academic history and GRE scores and he told me to ammend my application to include a letter stating that he would be willing to supervise me for my degree. He also stated that I should send him an email stating the same thing. How it works at this university, is that applications go through the application committee and then passed on to faculty if you are deemed acceptable. At the end of the conversation he then stated good luck with the application process.

What does this mean?

Does this mean that as long as I come across his desk that he'll accept me? Does this mean that he is only willing to look at me? Ahhh, I'm going crazy!

He seemed really nice on the phone and I think that all went well obviously. I don't want to work myself up too much because of the let down after. This is a uni I really want to go to because my brother, and hopefully soon to be sister in law, live in this city so I'll at least know people. And it's in Canada (I'm Canadian) so I don't have to worry about immigration or horrendous medical insurance.

So, what is your take on what this means? Oh, he also stated that he is taking two students and doesn't care if they are masters or phd.

Thanks for any thoughts!

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Ok. Very excited here.

I've just spoken to a professor at a university that I've applied to for a clinical Ph.D. Applications have not yet closed, though I have already sent mine in.

Anyway, we spoke for about 10-15 minutes about research interests, my academic history and GRE scores and he told me to ammend my application to include a letter stating that he would be willing to supervise me for my degree. He also stated that I should send him an email stating the same thing. How it works at this university, is that applications go through the application committee and then passed on to faculty if you are deemed acceptable. At the end of the conversation he then stated good luck with the application process.

What does this mean?

Does this mean that as long as I come across his desk that he'll accept me? Does this mean that he is only willing to look at me? Ahhh, I'm going crazy!

He seemed really nice on the phone and I think that all went well obviously. I don't want to work myself up too much because of the let down after. This is a uni I really want to go to because my brother, and hopefully soon to be sister in law, live in this city so I'll at least know people. And it's in Canada (I'm Canadian) so I don't have to worry about immigration or horrendous medical insurance.

So, what is your take on what this means? Oh, he also stated that he is taking two students and doesn't care if they are masters or phd.

Thanks for any thoughts!

It sounds like he wants you to mention on your application that he thinks you'd be a good match for him. That should help you in the application process. I know that at my school (I'm Canadian too), it is ultimately up to the profs who they accept and who they don't. So it sounds as though you already have a foot in the door. Congrats!

About the Ads

WaitingKills

Rockstar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Thanks for your feedback guys. I sent in my updated CV and letter to the ad com yesterday, as well as the personal email to the professor.

I expected to get confirmation from one of them that they received my stuff, but nothing yet. I may wait till Monday and then follow up, at least with the department.

Thanks again.

thewesternsky

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Congrats-- That DEFINITELY sounds promising! :D Can I ask which school? PM me if you don't mind telling; but don't feel like you have to, of course. :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.