Willing to Work 3rd Shift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disgonbgud

Hospital Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of y'all trying to get into inpatient staffing are willing to work 3rd shift? We're DYING to get literally any half-competent body (that won't call out) at our hospital. I know it's saturated AF, but don't be afraid to apply to off-shifts even if the listing asks for experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Where are you? What state?

I’m assuming it’s an undesirable location ,poorly run, or doesn’t pay.
I am a career overnight pharmacist and 30 people applied to position I currently hold.

If you’re somewhere warm , I would be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
What is third shift? 7 on 7 off overnight?

Yeah, sorry to disappoint, but it's cold New England. :( We can't all live in Hawaii.

Where are you? What state?

I’m assuming it’s an undesirable location ,poorly run, or doesn’t pay.
I am a career overnight pharmacist and 30 people applied to position I currently hold.

If you’re somewhere warm , I would be interested.

How long have you been working overnights? It's in New England so that's a nope. City, but probably 1-2 of the things you listed are true. If we were fully staffed there wouldn't be too much stress day-to-day though.

What is third shift? 7 on 7 off overnight?
Yeah.

How many of y'all trying to get into inpatient staffing are willing to work 3rd shift? We're DYING to get literally any half-competent body (that won't call out) at our hospital. I know it's saturated AF, but don't be afraid to apply to off-shifts even if the listing asks for experience.
Does your hospital give sometime for training? I am definitely interested as a new grad.

Where in New England? Can you tell us which state at least?

I see that you've already gotten some interest in this thread from licensed pharmacists, but just in case another position is expected to open up later this summer/fall, I will be graduating this May and would definitely be interested in a third shift position. I would also be willing to work all holidays for at least my first year, regardless of whether they occur during my "on" weeks.

BTW, I noticed you said that your hospital will consider pharmacists who didn't complete residency training for overnight positions. Just out of curiosity, would you happen to know if that's the norm for most of the hospitals in your area?

I'm very surprised that you guys aren't getting applicants. I'm in MA and it's impossible to get a job anywhere, even third shift.

I'm very surprised that you guys aren't getting applicants. I'm in MA and it's impossible to get a job anywhere, even third shift.
Yeah, I actually started here because I wanted to work in MA and found nothing available lol.
We've had people come and go but no one we hire actually WANTS to work thirds and will escape it ASAP.

Where do the hundreds of MCPHS students end up working? Do most of them leave the state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hit up retail pharmacists out of school less than 10 years or poach overnight LTC rph. I’m sure they would love opportunity to transition into hospital. Just a thought ....

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I actually started here because I wanted to work in MA and found nothing available lol.
We've had people come and go but no one we hire actually WANTS to work thirds and will escape it ASAP.

How's the pay? I assume it's lower in Rhode Island. I guess everyone wants to be near Boston.

Where do the hundreds of MCPHS students end up working? Do most of them leave the state?

I think so. Many students come from CA, MI, TX etc so I think they go where the jobs are.

How's the pay? I assume it's lower in Rhode Island. I guess everyone wants to be near Boston.
It's lower than MA on average by a tiny bit (only comparing new grad to new grad here), but it's also cheaper to live in RI. There's some 3rd shift incentives being worked on because it's such a difficult position to keep somebody in.

People I know who went there mostly float retail, if they have a job. A few of them did get residencies.

Be skeptical applicants, especially if you relocate.

If I were young and single I'd do it, especially to escape retail. I don't know where the hospital is but you can commute anywhere in Rhode Island since it's tiny. Providence is a great place to live, very affordable. Boston is easily accessible. You can even live in South Shore MA and commute to Rhode Island.

It's lower than MA on average by a tiny bit (only comparing new grad to new grad here), but it's also cheaper to live in RI. There's some 3rd shift incentives being worked on because it's such a difficult position to keep somebody in.

Do you offer differential or do a 70 hour work week? Most night shifts give those incentives.

OP are you the one reviewing the applications? I doubt you have any trouble getting applications from new grads... Are you sure they aren't being weeded out because an overnight pharmacist in a hospital setting may need some prior experience

OP are you the one reviewing the applications? I doubt you have any trouble getting applications from new grads... Are you sure they aren't being weeded out because an overnight pharmacist in a hospital setting may need some prior experience
I believe OP just said they train new grads. Not true, I know two or three pharmacist who were new grads and are currently on night shift positions in the hospital. It depends on the hospital to be honest. If a hopsital takes in more complicated patients, one would want a more experienced pharmacist like a PGY-1 or 2.

I believe OP just said they train new grads. Not true, I know two or three pharmacist who were new grads and are currently on night shift positions in the hospital. It depends on the hospital to be honest. If a hopsital takes in more complicated patients, one would want a more experienced pharmacist like a PGY-1 or 2.

Oh I didn't get a chance to read through all the posts. I have worked overnight shifts before (I have experience in many different areas in hospital throughout my career), and I can say that although you can try to train a new grad for routine stuff, you cannot adequately prepare them. There are many things that just takes experience to address issues that occur or questions that come from physicians/nurses but yeah it depends on the size of the hospital. I'm thinking this hospital is small so I would say its only one pharmacist that'll cover overnight so I don't think a new grad would be feasible. Just my opinion and experience working with new grads.

Oh I didn't get a chance to read through all the posts. I have worked overnight shifts before (I have experience in many different areas in hospital throughout my career), and I can say that although you can try to train a new grad for routine stuff, you cannot adequately prepare them. There are many things that just takes experience to address issues that occur or questions that come from physicians/nurses but yeah it depends on the size of the hospital. I'm thinking this hospital is small so I would say its only one pharmacist that'll cover overnight so I don't think a new grad would be feasible. Just my opinion and experience working with new grads.
The quality of new grads gets worse and worse each year too, so there's that...

There are probably still places that believe in teaching pharmacy by just throwing the grads in and keeping those who survive… I know when I got licensed, Walgreens just updated my status from "intern" to "pharmacist", I had zero formal training before starting as a pharmacist (I had worked as a tech/intern for five years prior to licensure).