Technology Windows XP - computer makes random annoying "woosh woosh" sound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninja

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a laptop running Windows XP. It often makes a random "woosh woosh". I have all sounds turned off under system sounds. The same issue is discussed in these threads:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1066013.html
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=2255139

The audio recording (WAV file) of the noise is here:
http://www.2shared.com/file/4056355/3d77750b/strangewhoosh.html

It's a Dell laptop. I had an older Dell laptop which also made this sound at random. The only common programs that are running on these laptops are McAfee Virus Scan, Widcomm Bluetooth Stack, Intel Proset Wireless utility, Zonealarm, Firefox (with some extensions), all on Windows XP SP2. There are some other processes running too, but I don't think they make this sound.

Does anyone know what program or event is causing this noise? Please help, it's driving me nuts.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, never mind. I found it. It's the stupid windows search dog scratching himself. It makes this random annoying "woosh woosh" noise.

stupid-dog-scratch.png

Microsoft idiots just don't understand the concept of usability. I do not want my computer to make any noise unless I want it. So, I turned off all system sounds in Control Panel > Sounds. But this mutt still makes noise.

Here's the interesting part. I think the dog makes the noise even when the search window is not open. A possible Windows XP bug? I need to double check to see if the noise occurs even after I close the search box.

There's a way to turn off the noise. Click on the dog once (he will sctrach himself, and make the woosh woosh noise faster than if he does it by himself without clicking), and then click "turn off the animated character".

I cut you stupid dog and Steve Ballmer!

Seems like a bunch of people who want "silent computers" have this problem. Stupid windows *****s, they can't even follow their own rules. "No sound" profile means "No sound" dammit.

Here's a clearer mp3 recording than the WAV I posted earlier (it's from here).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was so pissed at Windows that I wanted to delete that dog scratching audio file. But I couldn't find any WAV file in C: with that sound. One thing I noticed is that whenever the dog makes that sound, explorer.exe accesses file c:\windows\system32\msctfime.ime

Even if I delete msctfime.ime, the sound still occurs. I think that the sound data is within the file explorer.exe??? Why would an OS do that?!?!?!

Amusing. Actually, modern laptops are getting more quiet. The Thinkpad uses a sophisticated fan design modeled after owl wings, which makes it even quieter. Take a look here: Owls and Fans

That's some cool stuff.
Well, Windows XP is modeled after a dog named Rover. It's loud.

I was so pissed at Windows that I wanted to delete that dog scratching audio file. But I couldn't find any WAV file in C: with that sound. One thing I noticed is that whenever the dog makes that sound, explorer.exe accesses file c:\windows\system32\msctfime.ime

Even if I delete msctfime.ime, the sound still occurs. I think that the sound data is within the file explorer.exe??? Why would an OS do that?!?!?!

I wouldn't go deleting system files. ;)

Do you leave that search window open all the time? If you have an explorer window open just click on the SEARCH button to get of that search side panel. You can also click on the dog and then choose "Turn off animated character".

Just looked at mine and it only makes that sound when you click on the dog.

Alter your group policy settings so you use the classic Windows 2000 search instead of the Windows XP search.