Winter Break is coming up, what are you going to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of work.... but during my days off I want to volunteer and if possible maybe learn stuff for the MCAT (I'm years away from taking).
With the format change coming up what can I buy or use that will help me?
Otherwise, I'll just use this time to get a leg up on stats.

Thanks for any replys.

Members don't see this ad.

Time for some good ole' Game of Thrones... Nah i wish, volunteer, work, and ochem 2 pre study for me!

Reactions: 1 users
Continue volunteering as lab manager and scribe at "the clinic". Binge watch Archer. Put up a Christmas tree. Spend time with friends and family. Get bored and wish school would hurry up and get here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing and spending time with family/friends.

Reactions: 1 user
Im going to Japan to do all sorts of wonderful things

Scribe. Decompress. Buy textbooks. I will have about 5 intervals of thinking about pre-studying, then promptly go back to playing video games, working out, or binge watching TWD to catch up for what I've missed since I've heard it's gotten better this season.

Oh yeah, I'm visiting a foreign country for a week which should be fun.

Sleep. Lots of glorious sleep. And mentally preparing for the next 4 months of Internal Medicine and Surgery back to back. :dead::dead::dead::dead:

Reactions: 8 users
Exercise. Volunteer. Video games. Read for fun. Sleep. Rinse, wash, repeat. Although I'll only be doing the volunteer thing 2-3 times a week over break.

And I'm initiating my old intense work outs where I do running and lifting 7 days a week. Need to lose the ten pounds I gained over this last stressful semester . . .

probably drown a broken heart in alcohol nightly
cheers!

Reactions: 3 users
I have a lot of work.... but during my days off I want to volunteer and if possible maybe learn stuff for the MCAT (I'm years away from taking).

Thanks for any replys.

If I'm accepted to medical school? Party like it's 1999.

For you, I like to review the first chapter or two of the texts for my upcoming classes when on a break. Volunteering is cool too, but try to make it enjoyable. You deserve the break. A group of my friends all went down to the local homeless shelter last week to volunteer, and we had a blast. Obviously doing it by myself would have been a chore. Keep your morale up, have fun, enjoy yourself! It's important to reward yourself for a semester well done. You know what they say about all work and no play... it makes for sh*tty doctors! Merry christmas.

What's this 'winter break' thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna do hood rat stuff with my friends.

I'm also gonna work for some money.

Relax as much as I can. I really hope I'll be less burnt out by the time next semester starts. :)

Im going to Japan to do all sorts of wonderful things
This was my original plan, except now I'm stuck with research all day. . .

With the Yen being so low right now, it's an excellent time to spend your dollar there. I highly recommend not going to Tokyo, but instead going to Osaka or Hokkaido for some ridiculously delicious foooood.

wine-crying-desk.gif

Reactions: 13 users
This was a very tough semester for me. So what I'll probably end up doing is go home and smoke a fat doobie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend lots of time doting on my daughter!

Pre study, clean, exercise.
Maybe even sleep some.
I hope I get to read a lot. I have a few books I still haven't had time to read and I just downloaded some ebooks on my phone. That's actually allowed me to sneak in some pleasure reading here and there.
Watch the Dr. Who Christmas special

I might also volunteer with my local domestic violence relief center.

Try to volunteer a bit. Play my guitar (it hasn't been touched in so long I'm pretty sure it is going to cheat on me soon). Practice my chess so I can stop getting destroyed at the local club by all the EEs who are inexplicably really good lol. Read. Catch up on all the movies I didnt get to see!! Imitation game, Moonrise Kingdom, There Will Be Blood, Interstellar, Guardians of the Galaxy - I havent watched one of those!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I am shadowing for a week with a FP doc, then studying for the new MCAT. Oh, and putting up with my mom asking me if she can help with anything. I am smart enough to ask for help paying for MCAT books after I get my holiday presents.

Last edited:
Try to volunteer a bit. Play my guitar (it hasn't been touched in so long I'm pretty sure it is going to cheat on me soon). Practice my chess so I can stop getting destroyed at the local club by all the EEs who are inexplicably really good lol. Read. Catch up on all the movies I didnt get to see!! Imitation game, Moonrise Kingdom, There Will Be Blood, Interstellar, Guardians of the Galaxy - I havent watched one of those!!!
No spoilers but...it's sheit.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Interstellar, the rest.

No spoilers but...it's sheit.
it's sheit as in good sheit or sheit as in bad film, cuz Daniel Day Lewis kills it, and it's an amazing film by an awesome director, whose new movie Inherent Vice will be hella fresh

Edit: Gonna watch Interstellar for 3rd time but in IMAX, I've heard wonders...

football, football, and more football.
basketball, basketball, and more basketball.

Reactions: 4 users
it's sheit as in good sheit or sheit as in bad film, cuz Daniel Day Lewis kills it, and it's an amazing film by an awesome director, whose new movie Inherent Vice will be hella fresh

Sheit as in after I watched it I felt like beating myself to death with a bowling pin, lol. For a film with a similar theme which is, imo, a much better picture, I recommend "Giant".

Sheit as in after I watched it I felt like beating myself to death with a bowling pin, lol. For a film with a similar theme which is, imo, a much better picture, I recommend "Giant".

I will watch it and return with my deciding vote.

I'll expand on my assessment a bit. There Will Be Blood was far too depressing a film for me, it failed to interest me when it needed to and I got the impression it was trying too hard to be artistic. Plus, it was touted as being like the best movie freaking ever for some reason and it was just a big let down.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...now that's the best film ever made.

I'll expand on my assessment a bit. There Will Be Blood was far too depressing a film for me, it failed to interest me when it needed to and I got the impression it was trying too hard to be artistic. Plus, it was touted as being like the best movie freaking ever for some reason and it was just a big let down.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...now that's the best film ever made.

I haven't seen that either! I need to add it to the list. I like very artsy movies though. Basically anything Wes Anderson does just makes me very happy, his films are like watching a painting in motion. Grand Budapest almost convinced me that he had surpassed Kubrick as the best of all time at framing shots. Almost.

Video games. Volunteer. Sleep. Work on my album. Eat. TV. Sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Family time

I haven't seen that either! I need to add it to the list. I like very artsy movies though. Basically anything Wes Anderson does just makes me very happy, his films are like watching a painting in motion. Grand Budapest almost convinced me that he had surpassed Kubrick as the best of all time at framing shots. Almost.
Grand Budapest was amazing, truly awesome. You should also watch Birdman, one of my favorite films and it's still out in theaters, so breathtaking.

Going to do another 24hr volunteer EMT shift and go to California.:horns:

Just a whole bunch of chilling, shadowing, and internship at a non-profit

MCAT on Jan 13th...so yeah.

How long is winter break for you guys? I'm looking at two weeks :( so sleep..yup, just sleep.

Continue volunteering at the hospital... Search for full-time work and recuperate from this cycle! :)

Thanks for any replys.
MCAT on January 23...so 'nuff said.

How much shadowing do you do during winter break and holidays?

Shadowing a radiologist and a cardiologist. Going to start learning the basics of C++, and maybe play around with an Arduino. Have to leave late and come back early for research and all I want after working breaks for the past 3 years is to just relax :'(

I'm going to florida and hopefully I'll also get a head start on my classes for next semester. I haven't really been doing well :(
I also have some shifts as a volunteer EMT.

Neurotically check every day for interview invitations (I've only had 1 interview so far and am still waiting to hear back from 10 out of the 15 schools I applied to.)

I work a few more ED scribe shifts here in STL this next week, including Christmas. Then I'm going home to NC for a week to spend time with the fam! Oh, and binge playing ORAS.