1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Winter Break MCAT-Studying Misery

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by MDman87, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MDman87

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Just curious if anyone else out there is using their time off from studying for school to study for the MCAT. Personally, I took December 24-26 off to spend w/family, but now it's back to the grind. Anyone else feel my pain?

2. Simran1031

Simran1031 Princess of 2014=)
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    im studying now part time while i work full time and studying fully time starting jan 15..to may so I do feel your pain..the last time i took it my whole winter break was eaten up by the mcats. i feel your pain..but hang in there. i am sure you will do great =)

3. swamprat

Physician Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Same here... all winter break.

4. marele86

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah. Studying this hard during winter break is tough.

At least we're studying NOW, though, and not summer break! I'm okay with staying out of the cold frozen-over misery outside. I can still have hot chocolate and feel like I'm in the winter spirit. But I'd be pounding my head against my desk if I had to pass over float trips, bonfires, and random roadtrips. Summer vacation! Cannot wait. (Unless any of you guys are studying during both winter AND summer breaks.. in which case, you know, go you. Definitely not my plan!)

5. creativekat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    haven't taken any days off yet (though i did take 2 afternoons off), but i feel your pain. my friends are all hanging out and i have to tell them something lame, like "i'm studying"...makes me sound like a complete dork :p

at least i've improved from a 28 on AAMC3 to 31-36 on the other AAMC's...? my consolation i suppose

6. MDman87

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Nice improvement, creativekat. I can only hope for the same. I'm trying to save my practice tests until I've got the content down, but I made a 26 on my first one a couple of days ago. . . about what I expected, but it also reminds me how far I have to go.

The way I see it, I'll be more than happy to sacrifice a winter break if my future as a doctor depends on it. That's what I have to keep telling myself while I'm studying and everybody else is having fun. . .

7. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm content studying now also.. since Fall Semester ended.. I also took off the 24th-26th but have been unfocused since I've gotten back.

I'm going hardcore tomorrow to try to get myself back in the swing of things at the library...

Is it bad to only focus on one subject? I've been working through the Physics (NOVA) book yet have not even opened the other subjects as of yet. (End of May MCAT)

8. cyclin M

cyclin M megaman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys. It's pretty tough for me as well...I used excel to plot how many hours I spent really studying the MCAT. Not counting eating breaks/bathroom breaks/etc and I have only done about 8 hours over the last 2 weeks :lame: :thumbdown:

I did do some shadowing stuff plus there was this tournament I went do which kinda screwed up my schedule so to speak, but still I feel really lazy. Every night before I go to sleep I say "tomorrow will be different" but it never is haha...god knows how I will survive with MCAT studying once the school year starts.

9. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    HAH this is my problem too. It sucks when I realize I've wasted so much time doing nothing productive (like right now).

10. eva55

Pre-Medical
    How long do you study for each day?

11. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Man and I thought I was the only one. I am also suffering from acute laziness. But I am still pumped to study, I think I feel more pumped during school time because I get into the groove of studying so. I can't wait for a week to finish and get back into school fun.

12. Nasem

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Same boat here folks, Im starting to love physics all over again :) (haven't seen F = ma since 2001)

13. cyclin M

cyclin M megaman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah I can't wait until school starts either, except MCAT prep starts then for real and I might be destroyed.

:boom:

Alright it's night time again, time for me to be motivated right before I get tired and go to sleep vowing to study MCAT hardcore the next day. :(

14. creativekat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    at least one of you guys is taking it at the end of may.

I'm sitting for the Jan one. ughhh

I've been sitting at my desk from 9am-midnight almost every day...not that those entire 15 hours i'm doing something mcat-related. So I guess somewhere at 8-10 hours a day. Gotta eat, take naps, slack off and shower, hehe. And fantasize about what I'm gonna do after it's over and also daydream about what I'd do if I got a 40. (Yea right)

15. GreysHouse

Pre-Medical
    Hey, everyone. I was wondering when Kaplan and Princeton Review offered their MCAT prep classes. I've heard of some summer intensive courses but do they offer classes that last for a full semester (spring or fall)?? I could potentially be finished with my pre-med classes after summer 2009, so I was thinking of taking an MCAT prep class the following fall 2009 and sitting for the test early January. That way, I'd be done with it, and could get started on getting LORs, etc. :)

Thanks!!

16. Josey

Josey Doctor Hopeful
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#16 Josey, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  17. Doctormo24

Doctormo24 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Since winter break started been going to the gym and studying.
    Taking it March 28

18. rama kandra

rama kandra Actual Psychiatrist jk
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    may second, noon.

just focus on dominating youll be fine.