• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

prepb18

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Do adcoms generally take winter break along with their students? I know a bunch of med schools are ALREADY on winter break (or about to go on one) and I just realized that the admissions staff might fully take a hiatus as well...meaning no interview requests til January!

Anyone have any insight?

suizyme09

I haz a flavor
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Columbus
Status
Pre-Medical
I know that at Cincinnati the ADCOM takes a 2 week break in December and if you haven't heard before the break you have to wait until January. Thankfully I didn't have to wait and got accepted yesterday!!:soexcited:

edfig99

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
NYC
Status
Attending Physician, Academic Administration
Do adcoms generally take winter break along with their students? I know a bunch of med schools are ALREADY on winter break (or about to go on one) and I just realized that the admissions staff might fully take a hiatus as well...meaning no interview requests til January!

Anyone have any insight?
it makes little sense to interview over winterbreak....no students around for tours, hosting, etc...

About the Ads

suizyme09

I haz a flavor
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Columbus
Status
Pre-Medical
I think he meant that they don't send out interview invitations over break b/c there is no ADCOM there to look through the applications and decide on interviewees to see after the break.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
My school interviews through the 18th. I cant say for certain, but I doubt the admissions committee meets over winter break since there are student reps.

It's probably variable from school to school, but I think many take a little hiatus.

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
California
Status
Medical Student
I received an invite from UCSF last year on December 27, so I guess they were meeting over the break (unless there was some other technological explanation for the timing of the invite email...).

aubg23y78

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
NYS
Status
Medical Student
I'm pretty sure most schools interview over break. Last year I did all my interviews in the NYC area when I was home over break. Had a few interview first week of january, however the down side, there were no classes in session. I know my current school Buffalo, did interviews the day before Thanksgiving purposely to accomidate locals.

About the Ads