1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Winter break?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by prepb18, Dec 11, 2008.

1. prepb18

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do adcoms generally take winter break along with their students? I know a bunch of med schools are ALREADY on winter break (or about to go on one) and I just realized that the admissions staff might fully take a hiatus as well...meaning no interview requests til January!

Anyone have any insight?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. suizyme09

suizyme09 I haz a flavor
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I know that at Cincinnati the ADCOM takes a 2 week break in December and if you haven't heard before the break you have to wait until January. Thankfully I didn't have to wait and got accepted yesterday!!:soexcited:

4. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    it makes little sense to interview over winterbreak....no students around for tours, hosting, etc...

5. suizyme09

suizyme09 I haz a flavor
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I think he meant that they don't send out interview invitations over break b/c there is no ADCOM there to look through the applications and decide on interviewees to see after the break.

6. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My school interviews through the 18th. I cant say for certain, but I doubt the admissions committee meets over winter break since there are student reps.

It's probably variable from school to school, but I think many take a little hiatus.

7. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I received an invite from UCSF last year on December 27, so I guess they were meeting over the break (unless there was some other technological explanation for the timing of the invite email...).

8. aubg23y78

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm pretty sure most schools interview over break. Last year I did all my interviews in the NYC area when I was home over break. Had a few interview first week of january, however the down side, there were no classes in session. I know my current school Buffalo, did interviews the day before Thanksgiving purposely to accomidate locals.