"Wire looping" of capillaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody help me out here?

In FA, pg. 466, under diffuse proliferative glomerulonephritis, it says that the Immune Complexes cause "wire looping" of capillaries.

Does anybody know what that means?

Members don't see this ad.

Can somebody help me out here?

In FA, pg. 466, under diffuse proliferative glomerulonephritis, it says that the Immune Complexes cause "wire looping" of capillaries.

Does anybody know what that means?

hahaha just another buzzword for lupus nephritis that we should know (that probably won't be used on the exam). You know like basket weaving, tram tracks, humps etc. for other renal diseases.

Its a helpful key word for remembring what SLE GN looks like on a histo slide (do a google search and look for what looks like a loop of empty glomerulus in a SLE GN slide). Luckly, the step gives you so much information along with the histo that you will not even need to look at the pic.

Ha ha. I've seen that term all over the place (class, Goljan, FA) and still cannot figure out what the frick it's referring to. I've looked at pics of lupus nephritis a million times and still can't figure out the "wire-looping" bit. I know what its supposed to look like but don't get the "wire loop" part. Guess I won't be going into pathology...