Wisconsin PreMeds.... MCW or UW-Madison ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarPhosphate

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you live in Wisconsin and are a premed, do you want to go to Madison or MCW and why ? I would prefer to live in Milwaukee ( so MCW) because I am not a small town person at all but MCW is very lecture intensive. I do not like lectures. My first choice is MCW but I do respect the fact that Madison is more prestigious. MCW also doesnt rank students which can be a detriment to them if applying to a very competitive residency. Madison is cheaper for instaters and I like that but 10K a year isnt going to make me move to Madison. What about you ?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that Madison has quite the competitive atmosphere, and it's got a huge undergrad campus there (I think the med school is off-site now, but still not far away). I can say that I've never talked to an med student at MCW who's unhappy to be there, so that's a big plus for me.

SugarPhosphate said:
If you live in Wisconsin and are a premed, do you want to go to Madison or MCW and why ? I would prefer to live in Milwaukee ( so MCW) because I am not a small town person at all but MCW is very lecture intensive. I do not like lectures. My first choice is MCW but I do respect the fact that Madison is more prestigious. MCW also doesnt rank students which can be a detriment to them if applying to a very competitive residency. Madison is cheaper for instaters and I like that but 10K a year isnt going to make me move to Madison. What about you ?
Response to a few of your statements. I did not get the feel that MCW is anymore lecture intensive than UW. MCW is only 5K/year more that UW for instate students. Madison is one of the most outrageous and fun college towns in the US, it doesnt offer the same things as Milwaukee, but does still have tons of positive attributes. I was impressed with both in different ways and would be happy attending either school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's even close - UW Mad.

What is the in-state tuition at MCW for Wisconsin residents?

GATORade said:
What is the in-state tuition at MCW for Wisconsin residents?
WI residents get around 5K/year from the state, dropping tuition to roughly 27K/year.

Am I correct in saying that at UW Madison, the students HAVE to go all over the state for their M3 and M4 rotations with the "statewide campus" thing? That sounds moderately inconvenient.

Agent Splat said:
Am I correct in saying that at UW Madison, the students HAVE to go all over the state for their M3 and M4 rotations with the "statewide campus" thing? That sounds moderately inconvenient.
Yes, they do, but the school arranges housing.
I didn't like how the dean made it sound like it was optional to go to different cities, but when you asked the students about it they said it was required.

MadameLULU said:
Yes, they do, but the school arranges housing.
I didn't like how the dean made it sound like it was optional to go to different cities, but when you asked the students about it they said it was required.

I was doing some EMT clinicals at a smaller ER in Green Bay, and there was a UW Med student there doing what I assume was an Emergency rotation or something...I wish I had gotten a chance to ask her...but really, Green Bay is not the place for that kind of rotation. I guess if you're not interested in emergency experience it doesn't make a difference, but that's a big one for me.

Agent Splat said:
I was doing some EMT clinicals at a smaller ER in Green Bay, and there was a UW Med student there doing what I assume was an Emergency rotation or something...I wish I had gotten a chance to ask her...but really, Green Bay is not the place for that kind of rotation. I guess if you're not interested in emergency experience it doesn't make a difference, but that's a big one for me.
She might have picked that rotation herself. I was under the impression that students could be placed at other cities for core rotations (IM, peds, family practice, etc).

I have several friends at UW-Mad and MCOW who got accepted at both.

Here were their thoughts on the decision:

UW-MAD-
"Great school...but if not for the new med school, I would have went to MCOW."

"Competition is strong but not very explicit...many of the UW students in the class tend to be competitive and some are way too into themselves to notice"

"A lot of students go here because they went here in undergrad...so coming from a different school...it was really easy to see cliques form etc...kind of how I felt being a new student in a small private school (he went from a large public school to elitist private school)

"Either school is good...it is your board scores that determine residency...Madison has a bigger support structure thus higher ranking"

"Some students here seem ultra competitive because they UW-Mad was their backup and they could not get into the school they wanted to...kind of a redemption thing."

"Construction everywhere...parking is hell...nice facilities though."

"Mad will probably help me get a better residency since profs have more connections...and research is easier to get into."

"Some med scholars come in trying to prove themselves since they have gotten so much **** during undergrad...they kind of get annoying."

"Great school...I love it for so many different reasons...it was just the right fit...competition gives me motivation to succeed."

MCOW
"Very relaxed atmosphere...most applicants this year came off the waitlist and are happy to be here"

"Large class...easier to find your group (socially)"

"Milwaukee close by...housing extremely easy and cheap...and parking"

"I came here because it was closer to home...tuition is higher, but it is worth it knowing that everyone is happy to be here and not out to beat you on an exam"

"Since the caliber of students is lower than at UW-Mad, competition doesn't seem as evident...everyone is just happy to make it to med school"

"MCOW has block exams...madison has weekly exams...thats all I needed to hear, so I decided to go to MCOW...I rather pay more and be stressed out less...what is 5k compared to happiness?"

"I feel good about the decsion, but worried how MCOW lower ranking will affect my residency options"

"It is an extra $5000 a month, but cost of living in madison is much higher and quality much lower...plus i can't tell you how many times i got a parking ticket in madison during undergrad."

So this is what I have heard since September. I was lucky to get accepted at both, and I am holding a seat at both. It is gradually becoming a tougher decision. I hope my friends' opinions will help you make a decision...but just about all of them said that the interview is a little deceptive since admin is trying to sell the school...so just rely on how you feel... like what was your impression of the other students interviewing with you. But don't forget to keep in mind that Mad has auto interviews for instate students and accpets only 10% out of state who primarily come from the west coast, so you cannot really rely on your impression of other students during your interview, thus making the decsion much harder.

I hope this helps. The quotes may seem one-sided (that was my impression), but I think they indicate that MCOW fosters a more comfortable atmosphere.

GOBUCKY!

GOBUCKY! said:
I hope this helps. The quotes may seem one-sided (that was my impression), but I think they indicate that MCOW fosters a more comfortable atmosphere.

GOBUCKY!

That's awesome, GOBUCKY, thanks for a good breakdown. I'm also holding spots at both also and leaning towards MCOW, but I'm afraid to make a decision just yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was mentioned in the quotes, but I think it's worth mentioning again. MCW has all of the exams for their classes in a several day period - just like finals, whereas UW has them spread out - like one every week. The thing that MCW students always tell me is that they can simply stop studying for a week or so after all of their exams and relax - whereas if you were at UW, you've always got at least one exam coming down the pipeline.

TheProwler said:
This was mentioned in the quotes, but I think it's worth mentioning again. MCW has all of the exams for their classes in a several day period - just like finals, whereas UW has them spread out - like one every week. The thing that MCW students always tell me is that they can simply stop studying for a week or so after all of their exams and relax - whereas if you were at UW, you've always got at least one exam coming down the pipeline.

But then how much cramming are you doing for all the exams at once? Will you perform as well, with so many exams at once?

I think this is the best way to decide if exams is the issue. You need to ask youself if you are the person that needs about a couple weekends a month to unwind or party or the type of person that tends to be less stressful and can handle one exam a week and just needs like a couple hours a day to unwind...think about how you felt in undergrad during exam week versus how you felt just taking one exam for a different class every week during the middle of the semester...which did you prefer? I prefer the latter because i know i would fall behind with block exams.

JamesD makes a good point that we are at the point that we need to retain as much info as possible.

GOBUCKY!

The thing is a lot of the kids at MCW didn't get in anywhere else--- which doesn't mean it's bad... just a fact. Both schools seem to have a friendly environment. Students at my UW interview said NOT to come there if you want a competitive environment. MCW is in freakin' Wauwatosa, WI... yes it's safe, but it's blah... for me location is big. UW has some beautiful new facilities. I can't get over how friendly and down-to-earth the student body was. Both schools seem big into philanthropy. MCW was proud that it was independent and didn't have to share resources.. but i like the nearby undergrad campus. one more thing.... mcw really stressed money issues... like having a good credit report... uw didn't even mention a credit report.

GOOD LUCK

SugarPhosphate said:

washkeep said:
The thing is a lot of the kids at MCW didn't get in anywhere else--- which doesn't mean it's bad... just a fact. Both schools seem to have a friendly environment. Students at my UW interview said NOT to come there if you want a competitive environment. MCW is in freakin' Wauwatosa, WI... yes it's safe, but it's blah... for me location is big. UW has some beautiful new facilities. I can't get over how friendly and down-to-earth the student body was. Both schools seem big into philanthropy. MCW was proud that it was independent and didn't have to share resources.. but i like the nearby undergrad campus. one more thing.... mcw really stressed money issues... like having a good credit report... uw didn't even mention a credit report.

GOOD LUCK

Old threads by banned users deserve no reply.

Agent Splat said:

I think that you have to look at this from a different angle. The reason the UW wants its students to travel throughout the state is to be able to evaluate what medicine is like in a variety of settings. Medicine practiced at UW-Hospital is going to be way different that the Marshfield Clinic in northern Wisconsin and also way different than Mount Sinai in Inner City Milwaukee. The patient populations are way different and even the types of issues/cases that present are so diverse from each other.

From this fact, I believe that the medical training at the UW with it's state wide medical campus actually will train you better than staying in one place. This way you can graduate from medical school with a diverse training. Im personally excited for the statewide campus; especially because they make housing easy for the student.

I think that this is one reason why I believe that the clinical education at the UW far exceedes MCW.

If you're into research, the UW's research really is a world beyond MCW (Especially with Dr. James Thompson and the Wisconsin stem cell research). MCW is improving research wise, but the UW is still way beyond in the quality and quantity of biomedical research options.

Just my two cents. Overall, both schools are good and you will get a great education. Students like us from Wisconsin are lucky to have both options.

washkeep said:
MCW is in freakin' Wauwatosa, WI... yes it's safe, but it's blah... for me location is big.
Um, as opposed to Madison? :laugh: Wauwatosa is about five minutes from a major city. Madison is about five minutes from dairy cattle.

More like 20 until you see cows...we have some nice urban sprawl for awhile on all directions. I say **** them both...but I don't even see the debate, mcw is second rate wanna be number *****

adamj61 said:
More like 20 until you see cows...we have some nice urban sprawl for awhile on all directions. I say **** them both...but I don't even see the debate, mcw is second rate wanna be number *****

Wow, a little bitterness there.

Adamj why the bitterness? They're both great schools each with different pros. rejection or are you just too good for good old wisconsin?

Well I was rejected by mcow for no decent reason...and yeah, I was born here (22 years ago today) and I need to get out. But I love my sconnies and I will return someday

adamj61 said:
Well I was rejected by mcow for no decent reason...and yeah, I was born here (22 years ago today) and I need to get out. But I love my sconnies and I will return someday

I don't think that you can really claim that MCW rejected you for no decent reason. In your mdapps you say something to the effect that it was due to your individual score breakdown. Schools liking "well-rounded" applicants is no secret and while I am not pretending to know you or your application, your MCAT scores reflect someone who is very well versed in the sciences, but may be less than adequate in communications (written,verbal). I think that your scores have been more of a factor in your application cycle than you are willing to admit, judging from your postings. I'm not trying to be a dick or b*tch with this post, and if I come across that way it is not intended.

YzIa said:
I don't think that you can really claim that MCW rejected you for no decent reason. In your mdapps you say something to the effect that it was due to your individual score breakdown. Schools liking "well-rounded" applicants is no secret and while I am not pretending to know you or your application, your MCAT scores reflect someone who is very well versed in the sciences, but may be less than adequate in communications (written,verbal). I think that your scores have been more of a factor in your application cycle than you are willing to admit, judging from your postings. I'm not trying to be a dick or b*tch with this post, and if I come across that way it is not intended.

I would agree with adamj61 that he got shafted, if their only reason for rejection is a little bit of an uneven MCAT score. There is so much else that needs to be looked at besides 3 sets of #s and a letter!

dsherida said:
I would agree with adamj61 that he got shafted, if their only reason for rejection is a little bit of an uneven MCAT score. There is so much else that needs to be looked at besides 3 sets of #s and a letter!

If the assumption is true that the MCAT score was the cause in these circumstances, then it was not based on the MCAT being uneven. It was based on the requirements for one of the sections not being met. If thats the case, the sections of the MCAT are scored separately for a reason, to analyze strength/weakness.

And then your second statement, of course there is much more to any application at any school other than an enterance test score. Though the MCAT score is quite possibly the single more important factor in medical school admittance. But with so many applicants applying for a limitted number of seats, a school has to draw its line somewhere. After initial screening of an applicant, then everything else comes into play. Regardless of the order of events, if a screen takes place presecondary, preinterview, or after the interview, applicants with numbers that dont meet the determined necessary levels are not going to gain admittance.

In MCW's case, they may have a stricter preinterview screen vs. their avg scores, and also regarding activities/essays, than other schools because once an applicant is interviewed (before the class has been filled), the applicant is viewed as equal to all other interviewees and is admitted/rejected soley on the interview day performance. At many other schools an interviewee who had a "great" interview may still not gain acceptance if the rest of the applcation isn't quite there compared to all the other interviewees who had "good" interviews.

Its a tough process, and can seem/be unfair, but all of us knew that coming into it.