Wisconsin, Wash St, Ore St, or NC St.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM1988

Reaction score
I've been accepted to these 4 schools and was really looking forward to visiting each school this month to help make a decision. The impending national lockdown due to COVID is making that hope bleak. So it seems I'll have to make a decision strictly off research of the schools, rather than a physical visit. Can anyone provide experiences/information for these 4 schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been accepted to these 4 schools and was really looking forward to visiting each school this month to help make a decision. The impending national lockdown due to COVID is making that hope bleak. So it seems I'll have to make a decision strictly off research of the schools, rather than a physical visit. Can anyone provide experiences/information for these 4 schools?
You can PM me for WA. We have stopped all tours for the foreseeable future. Mine and alot of other people's biggest piece of advice is go to your cheapest option which is probably NC state assuming their residency requirements are still fairly easily obtainable. I was OOS for WA. So send me your specific questions and I'd be glad to answer them. I recommend checking out the WA vs OR thread for lots of info.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I like Wisconsin. The city of Madison is fun (or so I've been told, I've been a bit too busy to experience anything besides bar life). Our professors are outstanding, many stay hours late to help out and provide additional instruction in the anatomy lab.

They get us down shadowing in the teaching hospital and performing physical exams within the first semester. There are also plenty of scholarship opportunities (everybody I know that applied received one). There is no obvious competition academically - we all share notes and try our best to help each other out.

I'm pretty bad about highlighting specifics, so if you have any questions in particular, I am more than happy to answer what I can!

Reactions: 1 users
I like Wisconsin. The city of Madison is fun (or so I've been told, I've been a bit too busy to experience anything besides bar life). Our professors are outstanding, many stay hours late to help out and provide additional instruction in the anatomy lab.

They get us down shadowing in the teaching hospital and performing physical exams within the first semester. There are also plenty of scholarship opportunities (everybody I know that applied received one). There is no obvious competition academically - we all share notes and try our best to help each other out.

I'm pretty bad about highlighting specifics, so if you have any questions in particular, I am more than happy to answer what I can!

That's great to know regarding the professors. That's kind of the information I was hoping to find, is info not available on the internet/not universal. Such as quality of professors, student environment, student relationships, etc.

That being said, I know I can find lots of this information online, but what kind of things are there to do in the Madison area? I understand free time is nonexistent during school, but are there good/close opportunities for outdoor recreational activities in the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can PM me for WA. We have stopped all tours for the foreseeable future. Mine and alot of other people's biggest piece of advice is go to your cheapest option which is probably NC state assuming their residency requirements are still fairly easily obtainable. I was OOS for WA. So send me your specific questions and I'd be glad to answer them. I recommend checking out the WA vs OR thread for lots of info.
Yes I've been reccomended multiple times to choose the cheapest option. So as far as my questions, mostly what I'm looking to find out is student's opinions on quality of professors, the student environment, student interactions/relations, etc. Also, I'm interested in finding out about the area itself. What it's like living in Pullman, what the recreational activities available in the area, etc. And I'll check out that thread, thanks for the tip!

That's great to know regarding the professors. That's kind of the information I was hoping to find, is info not available on the internet/not universal. Such as quality of professors, student environment, student relationships, etc.

That being said, I know I can find lots of this information online, but what kind of things are there to do in the Madison area? I understand free time is nonexistent during school, but are there good/close opportunities for outdoor recreational activities in the summer?
From what I've heard, Madison is the place to be in the summer! This comes from friends that went to UW for undergrad. Lots of outdoor activities, as we are right next to Lake Mendota and Lake Monona. As a class, we did a bar crawl and a couple of cookouts around a campfire (all before classes started). Some other vet school students organized a keg ball game early in the year.

During the school year, we clearly all get pretty close. We tend to post events on our class Facebook page - class cookouts, parties, movies, etc.

About an hour away is Devil's Lake, where there is hiking and swimming. We were trying to organize a trip up there in early April, but that's probably going to get cancelled due to the apocalypse.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've heard, Madison is the place to be in the summer! This comes from friends that went to UW for undergrad. Lots of outdoor activities, as we are right next to Lake Mendota and Lake Monona. As a class, we did a bar crawl and a couple of cookouts around a campfire (all before classes started). Some other vet school students organized a keg ball game early in the year.

During the school year, we clearly all get pretty close. We tend to post events on our class Facebook page - class cookouts, parties, movies, etc.

About an hour away is Devil's Lake, where there is hiking and swimming. We were trying to organize a trip up there in early April, but that's probably going to get cancelled due to the apocalypse.
Ooh awesome! I'll definitely look into those 3 lakes. I love that everyone is close, I feel that is an important aspect to the vet school experience. Everything I'm hearing makes me lean towards Wisconsin, I wish I could visit each school before I decide, but overall I'm just excited to make a decision so I know where I'll be living. Thanks for the info!

Ooh awesome! I'll definitely look into those 3 lakes. I love that everyone is close, I feel that is an important aspect to the vet school experience. Everything I'm hearing makes me lean towards Wisconsin, I wish I could visit each school before I decide, but overall I'm just excited to make a decision so I know where I'll be living. Thanks for the info!
You're welcome! I will admit that there are a few things I'm not a fan of. The facilities are pretty outdated. They literally only have two lecture halls (with a few small conference rooms for electives). There is limited space for socializing and few spots to sit for lunch, so it gets very cramped. The teaching hospital is also very cramped, but they just received approval for a new teaching hospital which should be done by the time you're a 4th year. Also, we don't have our own library - we do have access to the very nice medical school library though, which is about a half a mile from the vet school.

Yes I've been reccomended multiple times to choose the cheapest option. So as far as my questions, mostly what I'm looking to find out is student's opinions on quality of professors, the student environment, student interactions/relations, etc. Also, I'm interested in finding out about the area itself. What it's like living in Pullman, what the recreational activities available in the area, etc. And I'll check out that thread, thanks for the tip!
Quality of professors if great imo-most schools I would say probably are. They've been taking this COVID like a champ. We are all stuck in this together. Aside from crisis mode, if you have something in your life they're there for you if you let them be. They will do their best to get you through whatever it is you need to get through to move on. There's also some great comedy and just overall support in the profession. You of course have lots of great veterinarians boarded and nonboarded to learn from as well as PhDs in their respective fields which for some subjects is better than having a veterinarian teach it.

Student environment, super supportive community type feel. They become your family and the faculty and staff are there for you as well. How close you are will vary by class, but honestly my class is super great. I would feel comfortable going to just about anyone in my class if I was struggling with anything and getting them to help. Our class shares anything and everything we can when it comes to studying-no one is shut out from different groups. This of course depends on your class but I say overall the support is pretty consistent through the school. My friends and I personally have a standing weekly dinner which is often accompanied by games.

Pullman itself is a whopping like 35k people when school is in session. Drive 15 min and you're in Moscow which is another college town about the same size. Between the 2 you have plenty of places for shopping&eating. Alot of people don't like the Palouse much because of its smallness, I personally love it. I'm from flatlands of CO so honestly I miss seeing out forever is my biggest thing. However, the hills are great for sledding in the winter. We do get a pretty even spread of 4 seasons. There's lots of great area trails in Pullman, bowling, ice staking, movies, bar scene, etc can all be found between here and Moscow. Drive ~20 minutes and you're at Moscow Mountain or Kamiak Butte for hiking, biking, back county skiing&snowshoeing. 40ish minutes gets you to Lewiston which has costco or can drive to the Dunes which is on the Snake river and a shallow like beach area that's pretty popular. You can do just about any normal water sport on the Snake in the nearby area except whitewater raft, but leisure kayaking is fine. Drive 1.5 hours and you're up at Spokane, skiing, etc. Recommended flying to/from there is cheaper sometimes than flying in/out of Pullman or Lewiston. There's lots to do outside if you want even if you have to drive a little. At the school itself alot of the classes have IM sports teams that many people do to stay active outside of the traditional rec center.

You're welcome! I will admit that there are a few things I'm not a fan of. The facilities are pretty outdated. They literally only have two lecture halls (with a few small conference rooms for electives). There is limited space for socializing and few spots to sit for lunch, so it gets very cramped. The teaching hospital is also very cramped, but they just received approval for a new teaching hospital which should be done by the time you're a 4th year. Also, we don't have our own library - we do have access to the very nice medical school library though, which is about a half a mile from the vet school.
Thanks for the honest feedback! It's good to hear the pros and cons. Especially good to hear about the size and feel of the facilities, as it seems a visit prior to the year is looking bleak due to COVID. Thanks so much!

Quality of professors if great imo-most schools I would say probably are. They've been taking this COVID like a champ. We are all stuck in this together. Aside from crisis mode, if you have something in your life they're there for you if you let them be. They will do their best to get you through whatever it is you need to get through to move on. There's also some great comedy and just overall support in the profession. You of course have lots of great veterinarians boarded and nonboarded to learn from as well as PhDs in their respective fields which for some subjects is better than having a veterinarian teach it.

Student environment, super supportive community type feel. They become your family and the faculty and staff are there for you as well. How close you are will vary by class, but honestly my class is super great. I would feel comfortable going to just about anyone in my class if I was struggling with anything and getting them to help. Our class shares anything and everything we can when it comes to studying-no one is shut out from different groups. This of course depends on your class but I say overall the support is pretty consistent through the school. My friends and I personally have a standing weekly dinner which is often accompanied by games.

Pullman itself is a whopping like 35k people when school is in session. Drive 15 min and you're in Moscow which is another college town about the same size. Between the 2 you have plenty of places for shopping&eating. Alot of people don't like the Palouse much because of its smallness, I personally love it. I'm from flatlands of CO so honestly I miss seeing out forever is my biggest thing. However, the hills are great for sledding in the winter. We do get a pretty even spread of 4 seasons. There's lots of great area trails in Pullman, bowling, ice staking, movies, bar scene, etc can all be found between here and Moscow. Drive ~20 minutes and you're at Moscow Mountain or Kamiak Butte for hiking, biking, back county skiing&snowshoeing. 40ish minutes gets you to Lewiston which has costco or can drive to the Dunes which is on the Snake river and a shallow like beach area that's pretty popular. You can do just about any normal water sport on the Snake in the nearby area except whitewater raft, but leisure kayaking is fine. Drive 1.5 hours and you're up at Spokane, skiing, etc. Recommended flying to/from there is cheaper sometimes than flying in/out of Pullman or Lewiston. There's lots to do outside if you want even if you have to drive a little. At the school itself alot of the classes have IM sports teams that many people do to stay active outside of the traditional rec center.
Wow excellent breakdown, thanks so much for all the information! That's awesome to hear about the professors and the general support of the VetMed program. Seems like there's quite a bit to do in the Pullman/Moscow area! I'm a big skiier so I'm glad there would be some of that in the area, as well as hiking and biking. Thanks so much for the details of the area, very informative!

Hi OP,

I'm a 2018 grad reppin' NCSU in your thread. I attended NCSU as an OOS student and had a fantastic experience. I'll break down my comments into 2 categories: the CVM and the area of Raleigh, NC.

The NCSU CVM (top 4 qualities):
1) Faculty: As a general rule, the faculty are highly invested in your success from the moment you step on campus. I struggled significantly with anatomy in my first semester, and was consistently supported as I adjusted my study techiques and learned how best to approach the CVM's curriuclum. NCSU has every type of specialty under the sun- interested in Equine Therio? Aquatic Animal Med? Lab Animal? Public Health (the Eastern states USDA headquarters is located directly on the NCSU main campus), etc. There are faculty who can help you map out your career and get you where you want to be. NCSU's faculty made all the difference between my success and failure in vet school, and I'll be eternally grateful to them. In my opinion, NCSU's #1 selling point. As an aside, NCSU has also invested heavily in ancillary services to help you succeed throughout your life and career as a DVM -> a Certified Financial Planner, Career Services Professional, and Licensed Psychologist are full-time staff members devoted solely to vet students.
2) Innovation: NCSU is on the forefront of veterinary education. This is a pride-point of the current Dean, and the CVM's leadership team is constantly pushing the faculty to innovate on behalf of students. Sim-labs, the House System, improvements to online curriculum delivery, changes in clinical performance evaluation, improvement of diversity recruiting/representation- these are all things you'll hear about as an NCSU CVM student.
3) Student body: NCSU does an excellend job in recruiting diverse classes, with respect to race, gender identity, interest area, and background. Although class personality differs between the years, my class was great. We got a long well, and were 'serious' but not 'competitive.' Backstabbing would never be tolerated, and you'll find your colleagues supportive of you 1) as a person and 2) as a DVM.
4) Facilities: At the time it was built, NCSU's Terry Ceter (SA hospital) was at the vanguard of teaching hospital design. Every SA specialty is represented- Want to complete a roation in rad onc and see the LINAC at work? Want to see vascular procedures conducted under fluoroscopy in one of multiple ORs? Want to complete a neuro rotation and see the new 3T MRI at work? All of these options are available to you. Many of my classmates held paying jobs in the teaching hospital as surgery/treatment techs throughout their education (you'd see these things earlier, in that case). More of a LA person? Is telemetered equine endoscopy your thing? How about colic/ortho surgery? Are you all about the babies (foals/calves/etc)? These specialties and the facilities to handle them are all at your fingertips. If you can dream it, you can do it. NCSU can get you there.

Greater Raleigh (where you'll live; Top 4 qualities):
1) Cost of Living: I've lived all over the United States (all major regions). Although I wouldn't classify Raleigh's price point as 'cheap' it's certainly not expensive (in comparison to a place like SoCal, Boston, or Chicago). There is plenty of affordable housing. CVM students live in all kinds of arrangements- single in an apartment, with friends in apartments, with friends in a rented house, etc.
2) The Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill): Lots of fun places to eat, drink, and hang out downtown. Durham and Chapel Hill have a host of offerings if you'd like to travel further afield. Everyone is intersted in different things. I'd be willing to bet that at least one of your intererests is represented in the general region. Also, for clinical rotations, they're no shortage of opportunities to learn/grow off campus when the time comes.
3) Weather: Raleigh is a true four season climate. Winters are mild (you'll get the occasional snow/ice storm, but nothing crazy. The CVM may close in those instances). Summers are warm, humid, and tolerable. NC has an abundance of outdoor beauty and recreational opportunities. Be sure to take advantage of these, particularly during the warmer months.
4) Travel: RDU airport is located about 20 minutes from the CVM. An Amtrak regional strain station is about the same distance. Interstates generally move at a good pace, and traffic is reasonable. This is an easy area from which to commute into and out of the state.

Hope this is helpful. I'm a proud alumnus of the school, and am very grateful for the eduation I received there. I'm working the job of my dreams, and have NCSU to thank for that. No regrets! Send me a PM if you have any additional questions. Good luck with your decision. All accredited schools are excellent, and will turn you into a top-flight practitioner. Best of success!