Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemydrhubby

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband is trying to decide if he should interview at Medical College of Wisconsin (milwaukee) or University of Wisconsin (Madison)...or both or neither.

I thought I could find some information on the boards, but when I did a search in this forum, it seemed the two programs were often confused. I only found a few threads where they were mentioned, but it seemed to be positive information.

Anyone have any personal information about either program? Do they generally have a solid reputation? It looks like it would be fairly easy to get fellowships from either, but some of the more competitive ones might be a stretch. Any insight?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Good question! Could we add Marshfield and Gundersen Lutheran to complete the list of Wisconsin surgery residencies?

lovemydrhubby said:
My husband is trying to decide if he should interview at Medical College of Wisconsin (milwaukee) or University of Wisconsin (Madison)...or both or neither.

I thought I could find some information on the boards, but when I did a search in this forum, it seemed the two programs were often confused. I only found a few threads where they were mentioned, but it seemed to be positive information.

Anyone have any personal information about either program? Do they generally have a solid reputation? It looks like it would be fairly easy to get fellowships from either, but some of the more competitive ones might be a stretch. Any insight?

Thanks!

Something more of a concern should be do you actually think you could live in Wisconsin. I really liked UW on paper and was going to interview there, but I realized Wisconsin would be too cold for a good ol' Texas boy such as myself and didn't go (glad I didn't, because there was a snowstorm the day of my interview and I would have been trapped and missed another interview I ended up really liking). If you don't have a problem with the cold, I would strongly suggest looking into that program (the only one I really researched in Wisconsin).

MArshfield--don't know much about their surgery program. Very much a small town (17,000) hours away from any significantly sized city....Marshfield IS the big town other people come to in this part of the state.

Gundersen--community program with an excellent reputation. Close-knit group. Residents operate a lot, and operate early, known for great technical skills. Fellowships are possible, although the really competitive specialties could be tough to land only b/c this is a community program and not an academic program.

MCoW--solid program currently undergoing some restructuring in surgical education. Generally a happy bunch of people. Most fellowships are easily within reach; peds is cutthroat, but that's true anywhere. Good trauma exposure.

UWisc--excellent program with more academic training than the above programs. Top-notch faculty who are well-known nation (and world) wide. Not malignant. Residents generally happy and have lives (have night float system). Most residents go on to do fellowships (including at the top programs in surg onc). Not strong on trauma.

Feel free to PM me for more info.