Wisdom on NY schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikkitikki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like its EInstein, NYU or Mt. SInai for my choices (I am very happy and grateful but am also waiting for waitlists) at any rate I'd appreciate any insider or other helpful wisdom on making this choice before declaration day. Unfortunately my time at the schools was rather rushed because I did the NY schools in one brief trip. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi rikkitikki
I interviewed at those schools too, and had friends who are right now MS1's at Mount Sinai and NYU. From my impressions of these schools, I thought that Mount Sinai was the one that had its act together the most. But that was my personal opinion. You really have to geige what's important to you. Here are my impressions:

Location: Einstein isn't really in the most "happenin" place of NYC. Many students take the shuttle down to Manhattan to do stuff. As for NYU, it's also kind of in an area with not much stuff around. Students take cabs all over there place. Mount Sinai is right next to central park, so there's always a place to go. But, in the end, you're still in one of the greatest cities on earth (I'm totally biased!) so it really doesn't matter where you are because everything is accessible. It's just the amount of time you're willing to sacrifice to get there.

Students: I really liked Sinai's students. They were down to earth, not competitive, and got along with each other. NYU's students also had a cohesive student body, but I didn't think I personally "fit" with them well. As for Einstein, I had the most awful experience with students because they came 45 min late for lunch, only stayed for 10 minutes, and during that time all they talked about was how they didn't like the other students. "You learn who not to hang out with" was how they summed it up. Not the best picture.

Curriculum: Not a drastic difference from what I saw, other than Sinai is becoming more small group oriented rather than lecture

Clinical Experience: Einstein has some good hospitals, Sinai has a very diverse patient population due to its location (border of Upper East Side and Spanish Harlem) and NYU has the famous Bellevue. At NYU, you get pretty much free reign at Bellevue as a med student, which is nice. At Sinai, you can go on grand rounds from day one. I guess it's all what you make of it...

I think that's about it. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, because I really liked Sinai, as you may have noticed from my post
smile.gif

good luck with your decision!!!