Wish I had not come here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth decay

science officer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen various threads where enrolled dental students have expressed regret about being in their particular program. Can some of you who fit this profile tell the rest of us which of the dental school programs to avoid and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen various threads where enrolled dental students have expressed regret about being in their particular program. Can some of you who fit this profile tell the rest of us which of the dental school programs to avoid and why?
The problem here is that nobody can comment on any program except their own. That means there's no legitimate basis for any comparisons. On top of that, you have the fact that some schools are a better fit for some people than for others. SDN is a good place to learn, but nothing can take the place of doing your own due diligence.

This is true. However, as with any type of personal opinions, the extent of the validity of the comments will be left up to the reader. For example, it seems that some at NYU dental students c/o not having close ties to faculty secondary to class size. For the applicant who likes structured smaller class environments, NYU may not be the place for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called my friends this past weekend to tell them to take care of my niece who going to BU. They said please don't let her go here if possible and I agree; but that's her choice. They said students have to wake up 5:30AM to line up for a chance to get a clinic chair during the day!

Attitude adjustments will help many who don't like their school.:eek: :D

I called my friends this past weekend to tell them to take care of my niece who going to BU. They said please don't let her go here if possible and I agree; but that's her choice. They said students have to wake up 5:30AM to line up for a chance to get a clinic chair during the day!

What are you talking about :eek: . No one gets up at 5:30am to book appointments. They usually arrive at 4:30am to begin forming line. Its not that you cant book appointments for clinic chairs during the day. Its mostly due to the fact those persons who do get up to at those time are trying to get a specific discipline on a specific day at a specific time and/or with a specific instructor. But if you value your sanity and sleep, then you can always book appointments later in the day but who knows which days and time your chair might be available.

I used to think there was some Shangri La of higher learning in dental school, but I don't know anymore. In reality, dental school probably blows nationwide. A-Man is right, different schools will benefit or begrudge different people.

Having said that, you could always ask the students and an alumni or two what they think. I wouldn't ask an administrator because I doubt any will demonstrate the sort of candor you are looking for.

I hope your search leads you in the right direction.

I would be interested in knowing which dental schools have the most number and loyal alumni (giving money). This may be an indication of how much they liked their school and education.

I would be interested in knowing which dental schools have the most number and loyal alumni (giving money). This may be an indication of how much they liked their school and education.

Dam good question. I wonder.... Well I am not sure how you would find that info out? SDN wouldn't exactly be an exhaustive search. Might be better found on dental town.

Dental school is not easy. If it were everyone could do it. If someone is trying to pick a school based on how easy it is than they should probably find a different field. Most electricians, plumbers, and carpenters get up long before 5:30am. I understand that in some departments it is first come first served for chairs. You have to manage your time. If you have to wake up at 5:30 to get in line, why not get up at 4:30 and be first in line.

Just a Thought

Dam good question. I wonder.... Well I am not sure how you would find that info out? SDN wouldn't exactly be an exhaustive search. Might be better found on dental town.

I've read several posts on dentaltown from alumni saying how much they hated their schools (they didn't mention which ones) and would never give them a dime. To me thats pretty stupid on the D-school's part. Of course not everyone is going to be happy with their school, but trying to not treat your students poorly would probably go a long way.

If you think about it, treating students well could be a very wise investment by the school. Take for example, a class of 100 graduating alumni from one school. If they each donated $500 a year to the school, that would be $50,000 free money for the dental school. Not to mention each year a new class graduates and would add to that figure. Theoretically they could make hundreds of thousands yearly pretty easily that way.

It would be great to have a breakdown of alumni donations for schools. I bet it has a pretty close relationship to how well they treat their students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard UOP treats their students well and has a lot of alumni support. Maybe one of the current students or recent alumni from there can attest to this. Otherwise, I'm just spreading rumors.

I've read several posts on dentaltown from alumni saying how much they hated their schools (they didn't mention which ones) and would never give them a dime. To me thats pretty stupid on the D-school's part. Of course not everyone is going to be happy with their school, but trying to not treat your students poorly would probably go a long way.

If you think about it, treating students well could be a very wise investment by the school. Take for example, a class of 100 graduating alumni from one school. If they each donated $500 a year to the school, that would be $50,000 free money for the dental school. Not to mention each year a new class graduates and would add to that figure. Theoretically they could make hundreds of thousands yearly pretty easily that way.

It would be great to have a breakdown of alumni donations for schools. I bet it has a pretty close relationship to how well they treat their students.

This post makes a lot of sense to me. I have thought this way myself. I guess there is just no room in most dental schools for people skills. I am not surprised at all because most dentists I know said they wouldn't give back to their alma mater for a myriad amount of reasons that they wouldn't explain.

I think part of the problem is the subjective nature of dental school especially in the clinic. You could have a great prep that is looked at gamely by one instructor and lauded as a first-class example of incompetence by another.

With all that, there is a great deal of time for a dental student to build up animosity and resentment towards an instructor and ultimately the dental school itself.

With regards to alumni support, I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Dental school is not easy. If it were everyone could do it. If someone is trying to pick a school based on how easy it is than they should probably find a different field. Most electricians, plumbers, and carpenters get up long before 5:30am. I understand that in some departments it is first come first served for chairs. You have to manage your time. If you have to wake up at 5:30 to get in line, why not get up at 4:30 and be first in line.

Just a Thought

No, dental school isn't easy, but parts of it are very greasy, which is probably another reason why so many students are pissed off.

I do agree with you reasoning about how tough it can be, but it amazes me how many times people say dental school is not easy whenever issues are raised.

Life isn't easy. Should we all pack it in and head for the center of the earth? Absolutely not. Too much of dental school is unorganized and mismanaged to no end.

For the amount of money dental schools charge in tuition, they are getting away with murder, and there is no way in hell I would get up that early because someone in administration couldn't manage their time and come up with a better plan.

The problems I see with dental school is they are always shortsighted. They are constantly taking their eye off the ball. To preface this, my dental school experience was a horrible mess. I left town the day after graduation never to return. Most schools don't look upon you as a future alumnist or doctor, but as a number paying tuition to keep them afloat. It is expensive to run a school and all that cost gets passed on to you. You are treated poorly, marginalized and if an instructor has a grudge against you, they can ruin your post-graduate aspirations. I found many instructors in my dental school that didn't have the interpersonal skills to make it in a private practice setting. As such they were religated, extremely bitter and jaded, to the realm of dental school. This will get passed on to you. I found that my school administrators were more than willing to kick you out for minimal or assenine reasons. All of this negativity gets passed onto the students. It manifests itself as hording away old exams, not passing on useful tips, and ratting out your classmates. When they call for money, which they do quarterly, I pitty the poor sucker that takes the brunt of my frustrations. They will never see a dime from me.

In contrast, my medical school experience was the exact polar opposite. They welcomed me with open arms. From day one, I felt like a colleague. The professors were always willing to teach, and would sacrifice they time to make sure I understood the concept. When problems would arise for my classmates, I would see the administration bend over backwards to accomidate ie taking a year off, maybe two to organize your life, etc. Students are happier in med school. They freely share their notes, old exams, etc. It surprised me immensely! When the med school call for donations, I will give what I can.

Ultimately, a career in dentisty is rewarding personally, financially and professionally. If you want to pursue it, make sure you go in with your eyes wide open and be on the defense. If you think you don't want to deal with that, check out med school. It could be for you.

:D

At my interview at UOP, I was told that 45% of their alumni donated money in their most recent fundraiser (a lot of money)!:love: :D :)

There is this thought out there that its important to go to a esteemed or "Ivy league" dental school. IMHO, all dental school does is make you leagal to practice dentistry (of course after you pass boards). Most of your learning and fine tuning of skills occurs in practice. Pick a school with a good location, or thats affordable. I went to Kentucky, ( I know, your thinking what kind of location is that!) it was nice and cheap. But as far as the school is concerned, we started treating patients 2nd year, and each student was assigned a chair(with a locker to store whatever), that we used throughout dental school. Same chair. Of course as you proceed to 3rd and 4th years, your didactic courses decrease, and your clinic time increases, but there is NO waiting in line at 5:30 am. You get your new patients, treatment plan them (its comprehensive and the patient has to sign off on the entire treatment plan to stay in the program), and start treatment. If they need a RCT, your scheduler schedules it, and you treat it. If they need an implant, the scheduler calls the OSG department, schedules it, and you treat them. I can't imagine going to a school where its first come, first serve. Unless you are convinced that you want to specialize, really look at the clinical facilities, class sizes, and teacher:student ratios. Dental school should be busy, but LOTS OF FUN. Kentucky is LOTS OF FUN.

As far as alumni contributions go, I heard that VCU has received a 2.5 million dollar donation from an alumni in the past year. Woohoo !! Go VCU !!! not sure how much this will benefit me though.
As far as which schools to cross off the list, check to see how long the school has been in operation. This should help you to tell who has had time to iron out the kinks. I have a friend in a "newer" school and administration seems to be the pits, lots of errors on their part. He is actually trying to transfer and says that many there are dissatisfied with clerical errors, ability to complete required tasks before graduation, and poor lecturing.

As far as alumni contributions go, I heard that VCU has received a 2.5 million dollar donation from an alumni in the past year. Woohoo !! Go VCU !!! not sure how much this will benefit me though.
As far as which schools to cross off the list, check to see how long the school has been in operation. This should help you to tell who has had time to iron out the kinks. I have a friend in a "newer" school and administration seems to be the pits, lots of errors on their part. He is actually trying to transfer and says that many there are dissatisfied with clerical errors, ability to complete required tasks before graduation, and poor lecturing.

From what I've read on SDN, it sounds like there are also established schools with the same problems as well.

Avoid the school I go to. So much red tape its not funny anymore.

Id also like to add that the professors here really cant teach for ****.

Dozen of my dentist friends hated your school. My bro, bro-inlaw and my cousin were also hating your school to their guts. What is going on there ?

Though I appreciate your candor, could you be more specific with an example(s), and also let us know which school you are referring to. Thanks.

Dozen of my dentist friends hated your school. My bro, bro-inlaw and my cousin were also hating your school to their guts. What is going on there ?

There are so many things to choose from...geez..well, let me tell you a story of one of my friends. He's currently a 4th year student. Really good guy. Honestly, one of those guys who would give his right arm if you become his friend. Anyway, this student is married and has children, two of which are currently in the ICU due to genetic defects (Ill keep the nature of the diseases secret for the sake of this discussion). Anyway, a he took a month off from school to be with his children, running into the clinic as much as he could to try to keep up with his requirements. Needless to say, he fell behind on his "clinical experiences." He is currently trying to catch up, but its kind of looking bleak for the poor sap. He has been threatened that he WONT have the oppurtunity to come during the summer to finish his requirements if he doenst finish (in other words, they can kick him out of school!). Unfricking-believable. The guy has two sons dying and this guy is in school worried sick to his stomach, working his ass off, and they have the audacity to lay that bomb on him. I can write a book on some things that go on here that would amaze everyone, but let me just finish by stating that no one is on your side here. You are a number, and depending on how much money you make for these greedy bastards, the more friendly the become to you.

There are so many things to choose from...geez..well, let me tell you a story of one of my friends. He's currently a 4th year student. Really good guy. Honestly, one of those guys who would give his right arm if you become his friend. Anyway, this student is married and has children, two of which are currently in the ICU due to genetic defects (Ill keep the nature of the diseases secret for the sake of this discussion). Anyway, a he took a month off from school to be with his children, running into the clinic as much as he could to try to keep up with his requirements. Needless to say, he fell behind on his "clinical experiences." He is currently trying to catch up, but its kind of looking bleak for the poor sap. He has been threatened that he WONT have the oppurtunity to come during the summer to finish his requirements if he doenst finish (in other words, they can kick him out of school!). Unfricking-believable. The guy has two sons dying and this guy is in school worried sick to his stomach, working his ass off, and they have the audacity to lay that bomb on him. I can write a book on some things that go on here that would amaze everyone, but let me just finish by stating that no one is on your side here. You are a number, and depending on how much money you make for these greedy bastards, the more friendly the become to you.

If I weren't in dental school and hadn 't seen the things I have, I wouldn't believe this, but I do. I could be right or wrong, but I don't put anything past the dental school hiearchy. Absolutely ridiculous.

The fact is dental school is a business, where the higher ups cover thier arses first then consider (marginally) the folks that are really there to learn. As soon as you figure that out as a dental student, the sooner you'll realize how and what you need to get out and the better off you'll be. I dont think anyone really expects professional school to be easy, or a cakewalk, but it really doesnt have to be so frustrating either. I have no doubt that I'm learning the skills necessary to graduate a competent and confident clinician, but I'm sure that there are pig pens with better overall organization than most dental schools. But what do I know.....

If I weren't in dental school and hadn 't seen the things I have, I wouldn't believe this, but I do. I could be right or wrong, but I don't put anything past the dental school hiearchy. Absolutely ridiculous.

Doesn't surprise me either. Not one bit.

Oh, I have no trouble believing this. There are profs who CRAVE power and this is how they get it.....by threatening vulnerable people with the fear of not graduating.

My heart really goes out to that guy. Makes me wonder why we haven't heard stories of dental school students going postal.

psiyung...what school did you attended that you hated so much?

psiyung...what school did you attended that you hated so much?

I hate the administration, but like a lot of my classmates (although some are backstabbing ****heads that if I see outside of d-school I'd stomp their head into the ground:D ).

If you want to know, just PM me

If I were in that situation, I'd request a year off. On the other hand, the school can't just "kick him out". They can make him repeat a year, yes, but not kick him out completely, but if they tried to, he has the right to take legal action against them considering his circumstances. He's already spent 3 years there and maybe a ton of money too, and is about to graduate, and is having problems because of extenuating circumstances. Trust me, that stuff is worthy of legal action. It's just that poor dental students in these situations tend to be a little overwhelmed that they think they're totally helpless.

I would think that this is where academic advisors/ counselors should be helpful, though I guess it would depend how much they would stick their necks out. I know in medical school, and I assume in dental school, that retention of students is a high priority. That is because it costs so much to train them. Most reputable schools would bend over backwards to help resolve a student's adverse circumstance if possible.

I would think that this is where academic advisors/ counselors should be helpful, though I guess it would depend how much they would stick their necks out. I know in medical school, and I assume in dental school, that retention of students is a high priority. That is because it costs so much to train them. Most reputable schools would bend over backwards to help resolve a student's adverse circumstance if possible.

Ha! You gotta be kidding me! Talk to anyone who's finished dental school (especially 20+ years ago). On my graduation day when I was standing in my cap & gown ready to graduate, one professor found me and said a 3rd-year student had seated a crown I prepped, and that the credit could not go to me. I told him it was an "extra" crown and I didn't need it to graduate anyway. dingus had a heart attack and died a couple years later...I didn't cry one tear for that a$$hole. There are many other stories, this was just the icing on the cake.

The amazing thing about dental school is the widespread and systematic abuse of students that occurs. I have yet to give a dime of alumni money, and I don't know if I ever will.

On my graduation day when I was standing in my cap & gown ready to graduate, one professor found me and said a 3rd-year student had seated a crown I prepped, and that the credit could not go to me. I told him it was an "extra" crown and I didn't need it to graduate anyway. dingus had a heart attack and died a couple years later...I didn't cry one tear for that a$$hole. There are many other stories, this was just the icing on the cake.

I don't understand. What was he trying to get from telling you this on your graduation day? Was he really like trying to actually prevent you from graduating, because that would be a pretty disturbed guy. Or was he just teasing you?

Your story also begs the question, how did you guys manage to keep your class rank high despite all these assh0les in clinical, such that you were still able to match in competitive specialties.

I don't understand. What was he trying to get from telling you this on your graduation day? Was he really like trying to actually prevent you from graduating, because that would be a pretty disturbed guy. Or was he just teasing you?

Of course he was. In previous years they used to routinely kick out 3rd and 4th year students....the longer they could drag them along, the more tuition money they could get.

Your story also begs the question, how did you guys manage to keep your class rank high despite all these assh0les in clinical, such that you were still able to match in competitive specialties.

By learning how to play the game early. Exams and Practicals aren't about giving the right answer, it's about giving them the answer they are looking for.

Of course he was. In previous years they used to routinely kick out 3rd and 4th year students....the longer they could drag them along, the more tuition money they could get.

By learning how to play the game early. Exams and Practicals aren't about giving the right answer, it's about giving them the answer they are looking for.

Would you mind sharing where this abuse is taking place?

Man, I hope I never have to deal with one of those psychotic profs, but that'd be too sweet to happen. It seems like every dental student has to cross paths with at least one of those.

Toofache, By "giving the answer they are looking for", do you mean kiss ass? Do you mind elaborating more on how you dealt with these psychotic profs?

You figure out the system, and then you go with the grain and play along. And you learn how to do well on multiple choice exams because if you suck at kissing up to get high grades, at least your academic grades can pull you up.

You figure out the system, and then you go with the grain and play along. And you learn how to do well on multiple choice exams because if you suck at kissing up to get high grades, at least your academic grades can pull you up.

Good thinking, coz piko does in fact suck at kissing butt :D I've had profs like that in the past, not in dental school though, but the thing is that they got only meaner and nastier when I tried to kiss their asses.

...it's about giving them the answer they are looking for.

and how do you figure that out, seriously?? upperclassmen tell you or what?

it sounds like a skill of folks who are street smarts, and if that's the case, then if one is not street smart from early adulthood, one is not going to figure out the system....big big disadvantage right there... i say this because it seems that in many professions, one seems to need something besides academic smarts or pure hard work to go up the ladder. i don't know.....it's that diabolical streak that street smart men seem to have; they figure out the system and then adapt to it quickly. wait...that's 2 skills: one is figuring out the system early; the other is adapting to it quickly. i personnaly lack these skills. any tips would be appreciated.

Man, I hope I never have to deal with one of those psychotic profs, but that'd be too sweet to happen. It seems like every dental student has to cross paths with at least one of those.

Toofache, By "giving the answer they are looking for", do you mean kiss ass? Do you mind elaborating more on how you dealt with these psychotic profs?

For example: A multiple-choice test in my first year had several answers...one answer was correct according to the textbook, another answer was correct according to what the prof said in lecture. I chose the answer from the peer-reviewed textbook. I got it "wrong." Remember....the guy who writes the questions also writes the answers.

In the clinic, you have to learn quickly who likes a feather-bevel, who likes a deep chamfer, etc. Clinical grades are very subjective.

There is no way in heck I am going to back my school.

this school gave me a chance when others wouldn't. I think those who bash their schools should suck it up or leave.

We choose this profession it didn't choose us.

BigEd, reading your post one would think graduate school is a shelter for homeless misfits who should be happy just to have a roof over their heads!

These schools make a lot of money from their students and in return they owe them some level of respect and fairness. Not all of us share your inferiority complex.

this school gave me a chance when others wouldn't. I think those who bash their schools should suck it up or leave.

We choose this profession it didn't choose us.

I don't get your take on this one!

All of us are in dental school because we worked hard some way or another. It wasn't some charity act on the part of the school, and it certainly wasn't a blank permission to the school to abuse us as they wish.

You're making the admissions process sound much more personal than what it really is. It's not like your school was going through the 3,000 applications and said, oh yeah, this guy BigEd, yes, he's really nice, we believe in him, let's give him a chance. It was much more chaotic than that, and you have a very dreamy way of thinking about it.

The other thing is that no student backstabs their school. IT's the school that does something stupid, and we only bring it to light and give heads up to others so they're able to make more informed decisions than we did. I don't know why you want to obstruct the truth so much. Yes, every dental school has its problems, but some students are more intolerant to certain negatives than others and they ought to know these before they committ to a dental school.

Oh and I forgot to mention, most schools, if not absolutely all of them, really try their hardest to embelish their program to applicants and make it look so much better than what it really is. That's deceptive, and it happens all accross the board and it shows how much impersonal dental schools can really be. They don't care about you.. they just wanna sell you their school. If you cared about me, you'd at least tell me the obvious things that might negatively affect my time here so I'd make a more informed decision.

If you went for the Harvard interview for example, they put a fancy spin on everything, but I thought their program and their facilities were mediocre at best if you take out the H name. And when I went home and thought about it, these guys were pretty deceptive in some things they said and did at the interview. Schools downright lie, and unfortunately a lot of people who don't take the time to really look into the school might fall for what they tell you or for the school name or whatever.

And quite frankly we're doing the schools a favor, because if the feedback is so strong then they might notice the problem they've got on their hands and maybe they'll eventually try to deal with it.

I also find it really strange that this comment....

this school gave me a chance when others wouldn't.
I think those who bash their schools should suck it up or leave.

.... is coming from the same person who just started a thread about Loupes by saying....

Ok, no one at my school is helping at all.
I need some loupes for my operative dentistry class.

You gotta be kidding, right. Seriously but some self-esteem is a pretty healthy thing. No offense.

These schools make a lot of money from their students and in return they owe them some level of respect and fairness. Not all of us share your inferiority complex.

Schools lose money regardless of how much tuition they are taking in. Dental school is a tough business.

There is this thought out there that its important to go to a esteemed or "Ivy league" dental school. IMHO, all dental school does is make you leagal to practice dentistry (of course after you pass boards). Most of your learning and fine tuning of skills occurs in practice. Pick a school with a good location, or thats affordable. I went to Kentucky, ( I know, your thinking what kind of location is that!) it was nice and cheap. But as far as the school is concerned, we started treating patients 2nd year, and each student was assigned a chair(with a locker to store whatever), that we used throughout dental school. Same chair. Of course as you proceed to 3rd and 4th years, your didactic courses decrease, and your clinic time increases, but there is NO waiting in line at 5:30 am. You get your new patients, treatment plan them (its comprehensive and the patient has to sign off on the entire treatment plan to stay in the program), and start treatment. If they need a RCT, your scheduler schedules it, and you treat it. If they need an implant, the scheduler calls the OSG department, schedules it, and you treat them. I can't imagine going to a school where its first come, first serve. Unless you are convinced that you want to specialize, really look at the clinical facilities, class sizes, and teacher:student ratios. Dental school should be busy, but LOTS OF FUN. Kentucky is LOTS OF FUN.

I agree with everything you said. My wife and I went to Kentucky and had a great experience. We had no horror stories like some of the other people posting here. I would recommend UK to anyone. I am already a lifetime member of the alumni association and I will give more after I complete my residency.