Wish list of stuff for Med school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megkudos

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of all this cool stuff I'd like to get for med school (not like I'll get them or anything...though I could ask for something for graduation :) And I was wondering if you guys can think of other cool useful things for med school. This is what I've come up with:

Cool wardrobe of scrubs each pair a dif. color
Stethoscope
Palm Pilot
Laptop Computer

Those are the ones I've been entertaining so far....

Members don't see this ad.

Your very own sphygmomanometer and oto-ophthalmoscopes!

mma

Ahh I'm scared I don't know what those are :)

I had to get Netter's Atlas of Anatomy cuz I am taking it at my undergrad this semester....I keep looking over the thing....ooohhhh and ahhhhh...i think I am officially a big dork :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A pair of the most comfortable shoes ever known to man (or woman)! ;)
I have no clue what those may be, though.... :)

I want a post-med-school-application gift. This process is so arduous. I'll take a round-the-world trip please. After watching this awesome PBS series on Africa, I was like alright...Africa here I come! That was pretty short-lived after I priced a RT trip on Orbitz for $2800!!!! and it's a 30-hour ride.

I am not above begging, so please PM me if you would like to submit donations to this worthy cause...

Thanks for your advice megkudos about schools....only have one acceptance but I am hopeful on other schools....I need to buy a lap top computer........any suggestions anyone!

shimmer118-

my vote would be for a pair of Dansko clogs

How about a good microscope?

Hey CaliMed you mean suggestions of what type of laptop?

I like the new Dell Inspiron 8100. Most people I talk to that know laptops say either that or an IBM thinkpad.

Shoes:

I got mine already. The best shoes of all time are...

Merrell Jungle Primo

You can get them in black leather (mine), white leather or charcoal mesh. (There are other meshes as well. They also come quilted!)

I love my shoes. I think these shoes combined with the fact that we will be able to wear pajamas to school/work (in the guise of "scrubs") will make all this application stuff worthwhile.

I can't wait to get new stuff!

mma :D

I'll be lucky if I can buy a goddamn pen after this process if over.

If you can still afford clothes or a trip after applying to medical school...You didn't go to enough interviews :) haha

Thanks again megkudos, I will check on those two lap tops.

:)

A simple thing: a pen that can write on wet paper and upside down. (Astronaut pen--they sell them at the Museum Company.)

Maybe we can start some sort of gift registry for med students--we'll make up a preprinted list we can e-mail to interested parties who will (hopefully) contribute to our medical war chests. What do you think?

mma :)

I heard somebody state that they want pajamas... I'll custom make them (i can only do the bottom) for you! I'm on a real low budget so I've been sewing my own - or attempting to. It's nice - now I won't have to wear high-waters this fall!

Regarding the whole laptop thing--I have an inspiron 8100--1133 MHz, 384 MB RAM, 48 GB Hardrive, etc...

The computer sucks! Seriously...it IS fast, but the thing is totally unstable insofar as it has been constantly crashing since day 1. I would (if I had to do it over) get a thinkpad--the reason I didn't is because they don't have a touchpad, and I regret not getting one.

Hope this helps!

Thanks GG16....... consider the advice taken

Lift up a sony viao lap SuperSlim Pro and you will never want anything else. Mine is less than 3 pounds -- wow!

Ed

Shimmer- comfortable shoes = Clarks! Nice soft leather insides and outside, with some serious cushiness in the soles.

Hey,
Any advice on reference books. I'm thinking along the line of Mosby's Diseases or something like that. I want something that gives good biochem, micro, (etc) and pictures; but is not light-years over my head. Suggestions?
Thanks!

A Northwestern or UCLA Medicine sweatshirt ;)