1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Wish you'd applied to different schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TroutBum, Dec 7, 2002.

1. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering if any of you, now that the AMCAS period is over, wished you had applied to different schools?

I'm saying this because after doing some interviews and having had another six months to think about what med school would involve and where I might like to be, I look at my AMCAS list and think "Why the heck did I apply there? I should have used that slot for X school instead."

Not to say I'm unhappy with the way things turned out, since I have an offer from one of my favorites schools (Case:clap:) but I feel like I know a ton more about the types of schools and programs I would enjoy now than back in June. Of course, for me the question might be more relevant since I didn't apply to every school under the sun :p

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    in retrospect, i would have given a couple california schools a shot as an out of stater, just for the hell of it. hey, if i had the stats for a wash u interview, why not?

i guess hindsight is always 20/20 :cool:

4. arsh

arsh Member
    7+ Year Member

I definetely hear what you're saying. I applied to 10 schools. I just wish I had applied to 1 or 2 more schools with Rolling Admissions so that I wouldn't feel like the only person not waving around an acceptance.

5. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes!

6. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish I would of applied to different schools. If I had to do it over again I would not have put U Chicago on my AMCAS since I was too lazy to ever do their secondary and I would have added Harvard or Hopkins just for the hell of it.

7. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I wish I had applied to less schools and save myself some time and money. I applied to 20 schools and never even did the secondaries for three of them. And I've turned down four interviews at this point. I guess I was a little too worried about not getting in, but i really just didn't know whereI wanted to go.

8. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

DW, I'm with you--I would've applied to a couple of California schools instead of all the East Coast schools. But like you said, it's all about hindsight.

9. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Absolutely. I applied to some safety schools I ended up being rejected from (?) and I should've applied to some west coast schools, such as U of Washington (MSTP).