treeert

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
I took my first MCAT in may, without studying for it I got 503(128/122/127/126). I then registered the second test for june 30th. Unfortunately, right before the day I took the test, a gas explosion occurred beside my apartment and the school moved us to another place overnight...it took 5+ hours to drive to the test center so I only slept for like 2 hours and almost fell asleep when taking the test.... I got my 2nd score back, got 503 again(130/122/129/122)....
what should I do now? still try or wait for next cycle?

P.S: GPA 3.93, Asian female

Terror Billy

FDT
2+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2016
U-boat
Status
Medical Student
I would say you are good to go for any DO school you'd like, MDs outside of your state schools might be tough.

OP
treeert

treeert

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
I would say you are good to go for any DO school you'd like, MDs outside of your state schools might be tough.
location: Kentucky. I still prefer MD and there are only two Md schools in KY. The cars and psy would definitely hold me back...

About the Ads

Terror Billy

FDT
2+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2016
U-boat
Status
Medical Student
location: Kentucky. I still prefer MD and there are only two Md schools in KY. The cars and psy would definitely hold me back...
Sorry to be harsh, but with two 503s and being Asian even with a great GPA MDs are likely out of reach. I would apply to both UK and UL and then start applying to DOs

Reactions: treeert

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
For MD you should apply to Kentucky and Louisville. Your high GPA should result in interviews. Also apply broadly to at least 8 DO schools.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I took my first MCAT in may, without studying for it I got 503(128/122/127/126). I then registered the second test for june 30th. Unfortunately, right before the day I took the test, a gas explosion occurred beside my apartment and the school moved us to another place overnight...it took 5+ hours to drive to the test center so I only slept for like 2 hours and almost fell asleep when taking the test.... I got my 2nd score back, got 503 again(130/122/129/122)....
what should I do now? still try or wait for next cycle?

P.S: GPA 3.93, Asian female
Apply broadly to DO schools.

I have Adcom colleagues who would be leery of accepting someone who makes such poor choices on taking a career deciding, high stakes exam.

For the Exam 1, why did you not prepare for it?
For Exam 2, why did you not simply void the exam, or not take it?

Reactions: mwsapphire
OP
treeert

treeert

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
Apply broadly to DO schools.

I have Adcom colleagues who would be leery of accepting someone who makes such poor choices on taking a career deciding, high stakes exam.

For the Exam 1, why did you not prepare for it?
For Exam 2, why did you not simply void the exam, or not take it?
For exam 1, that was my mistake, right after finals + secret confidence coming from nowhere...
For exam 2, the accident was unexpected and I didn't want to give up on my chance. Guess I was trying to "wing it".
I am only applying to MDs. Should I still apply anyway? or take mcat for the third time and wait for next cycle.
I am very appreciated for any advice.

Shotapp

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
GA
Status
Pre-Medical
You can apply but I'm not so sure you will get in because you're ORM. Study and take the MCAT a final time when you are completely ready. No more poor judgments.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
For exam 1, that was my mistake, right after finals + secret confidence coming from nowhere...
For exam 2, the accident was unexpected and I didn't want to give up on my chance. Guess I was trying to "wing it".
I am only applying to MDs. Should I still apply anyway? or take mcat for the third time and wait for next cycle.
A 2x 503 MCAT taker is circling the drain. Beggars can't be choosy, and as such, you need DO schools on your list.

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
VCU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
You're 5 points < median for U Louisville, and barely above their 10th %ile. Hence, you have a shot at them.

For U KY, you are 9 points below their median and below their 10th %ile.

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with KYCOM, WVSOM, LMU, all three VCOMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhiGamDoc

Terror Billy

FDT
2+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2016
U-boat
Status
Medical Student
Do not want to beat a dead horse, but really you should not waste $$$ applying only MD. Why not apply DO? If you're so dead set against DO then it's probably in your best interests to not even apply this cycle and take the MCAT a third time, which as Goro has suggested would probably further nail home poor decision making to medical schools (unless you miraculously land a 516+). Overall, if you're goal is to become a physician apply broad DO this cycle and UL + UK.

Auntymarkovnikov

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
You guys she just said "Asian Female."
By definition she will attain MD, not DO.
F the haters, take it a 3rd time and destroy it.

Dr.Cut.em.up

Do not seek the treasure!
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Why are you so set on only going to MD when you really dont have the scores. UK is out, Louisville is a long shot. Whats wrong with going to DO schools?

Reactions: Goro

AndyHopkins

2017-2018 MD cycle
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hey OP. I strongly recommend giving yourself a year to press the reset button and REALLY focus on the MCAT. Personal background, I got a 505 and a 504 on my first two attempts- was studying it wrong by focusing too much on content review. However, on my third attempt, I completely readjusted my approach and thought of the MCAT more as a skill (like a sport) - this includes doing countless practices and full lengths under testing conditions, PARTICULARLY on CARS. On my third try, I received a 515.

LTDR: There is hope if you are willing to put in the work.

Reactions: Hkhan
OP
treeert

treeert

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
Hey OP. I strongly recommend giving yourself a year to press the reset button and REALLY focus on the MCAT. Personal background, I got a 505 and a 504 on my first two attempts- was studying it wrong by focusing too much on content review. However, on my third attempt, I completely readjusted my approach and thought of the MCAT more as a skill (like a sport) - this includes doing countless practices and full lengths under testing conditions, PARTICULARLY on CARS. On my third try, I received a 515.

LTDR: There is hope if you are willing to put in the work.
Are you a re-applicant? Now I don't even know should I still aim for med school or not..... One of my friend who got 500 told me: just apply anyway (he only applied to MDs). I wish I had his courage.....I guess I'm just stressed out now. Even if I get 515+ for the third time, wouldn't they still look at my two 503's and question about that?

SLU Student

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If you have the money, time, and guts, go for it. If you have the patience, wait until next cycle and improve your MCAT score in the meantime. It seems like you won't listen to any advice and apply D.O., so you only have those first two options.

A 2x 503 MCAT taker is circling the drain. Beggars can't be choosy, and as such, you need DO schools on your list.

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
VCU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
You're 5 points < median for U Louisville, and barely above their 10th %ile. Hence, you have a shot at them.

For U KY, you are 9 points below their median and below their 10th %ile.

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons. Start list with KYCOM, WVSOM, LMU, all three VCOMs.
Before, I noticed that you only recommended against Touro-NY and LUCOM. Now, you've added WCUCOM to that list. May I ask why?

AndyHopkins

2017-2018 MD cycle
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Are you a re-applicant? Now I don't even know should I still aim for med school or not..... One of my friend who got 500 told me: just apply anyway (he only applied to MDs). I wish I had his courage.....I guess I'm just stressed out now. Even if I get 515+ for the third time, wouldn't they still look at my two 503's and question about that?
No I am not - I simply did not apply after receiving my MCAT score. Sure they will question about it, but its better than just applying with a 503.

Pharaoh95

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2016
Status
I'm surprised people are recommending applying with that score. Scoring a 122 in two different sections seems pretty lethal to me, even for DO.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
If you have the money, time, and guts, go for it. If you have the patience, wait until next cycle and improve your MCAT score in the meantime. It seems like you won't listen to any advice and apply D.O., so you only have those first two options.

Before, I noticed that you only recommended against Touro-NY and LUCOM. Now, you've added WCUCOM to that list. May I ask why?
Hmm, that's an older list. I am satisfied with WCU's progress. I do have concerns with how their students are doing after the tornado that flattened their campus.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
That's very foolish advice if he meant applying to MD schools.

OP
treeert

treeert

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
I'm surprised people are recommending applying with that score. Scoring a 122 in two different sections seems pretty lethal to me, even for DO.
This is the part that I worry the most. If I had average score for each section I would just go ahead and apply. As a non-US citizen my weakest part is the CARS but I really regret about PSY... I had to pinch myself when getting to the psy part to make sure that I didn't fall asleep. To be honest I didn't even remember whether I selected "voiding" or not until I got my score.......

Dr.Cut.em.up

Do not seek the treasure!
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2017
Status
OP, study Psyc/Soc and pay close attention to the external locus of control part

About the Ads