With All the negativity about MD course i guess im going back to Pharamcy!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmay0001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What i see is that i only recieve negativity about medicine.

Hours are long
Bad salary
No life

So why would any sane person persue, Medicine coz of patients?? As i Pharmacist i drink coffee with patients in the Pharamcy and have a good laugh with them. If you Doctors truly want to help Patients STOP prescribing Useless Crap medication that does NOT work and become human beings, have a chat and a laugh and do it to meet new people.

Members don't see this ad.

And yet, nothing was lost today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Again, What reason other than taking care of sick patients is there??? Job security?? I had job security as a Pharamcist (approx 3 openings every week) i get manager phining me up for locums and interviews for regulatory positions. I regret to see such an ART of a profession like medicine being reduced to a CATERING LIKE (Waiting staff level) Job.

With all honesty i like dealing and helping people. But im sick of people Complaining that the hours are long and the pay is crap.

And with regards to life style people who just work all the time are crazy, you Docs fail to understand that Medicine cant save people, Doctors are more like Therapists.

I went to Med school as i Enjoyed Diagnosis and Reseach as im not interested in Sales. But a problem arises. I dont like Inhumane Collegues and people who are workaholic. Some of my collegues treat Patients like a Piece of Meat and talk about their condition without any ethical regard.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can do anything algae and be happy, do it. You do medicine because you can't see yourself doing anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
? As i Pharmacist i drink coffee with patients in the Pharamcy and have a good laugh with them.

I had job security as a Pharamcist (approx 3 openings every week) i get manager phining me up for locums and interviews for regulatory positions.

I recommend you learn how to spell "Pharmacy" and your profession correctly, it will go a long way down the road.

You are not even American and nothing discussed here applies to you anyway. I am not even sure why you bothered to post here.

Reactions: 4 users
Now that im in the MD course i will finish it (as i actually enjoy the subject and find it amazing) but im not doing a clinical job. I dont with to be used by the goverment as a tool. Im heading into R&D, New therapy might have a greater impact to patient health than just applying knowledge.

I will explain. Most of the graduated Docs end up doing residencies in either UK or US. But from the posts i see im thinking that a residency program is a waste of time. The MD can be used in a better way than just following the pack.

Now that im in the MD course i will finish it (as i actually enjoy the subject and find it amazing) but im not doing a clinical job. I dont with to be used by the goverment as a tool. Im heading into R&D, New therapy might have a greater impact to patient health than just applying knowledge.
I wish you would go away.

Reactions: 1 users
I think he lives in Europe and English is his second language.

English is one of the official languages of Malta, and Pharmacist is spelled the same regardless.

in my country there are not alot of jobs related to Clinical Pharmacy....

I think i would fit in a Pharma Company doing drug development, however only now that i am in my second year M2 i have realized this.

I thought there were plenty of jobs, and you wanted to stop prescribing "useless" drugs.

English is one of the official languages of Malta, and Pharmacist is spelled the same regardless.

I thought there were plenty of jobs, and you wanted to stop prescribing "useless" drugs.

No clinical jobs are not available (maybe 1 or 2/annum at low salary of 1300euro), but there are are industrial jobs like Regulatory and community. As i said again i enjoy Medicine as a subject. And the ability to use the knowledge to help others who are in need. However i don't seem to get good opinions from working Medics about the speciality or Job.

With regards to residency and Malta, 42% of Maltese MDs go to UK or US hospitals to carry out Post grad trainings.

Again money does not interest me. And i like people i enjoy helping out others no problem. But i don't think im getting a good feedback from people who are already in the profession and who payed thousands of dollars/Sterling to get the degree and then state that "medicine is crap, do somthing ealse". Does not make much sense!

I expect people to tell you "yeah good descision" but actually 40% of Working Docs actaully hate their jobs??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I was always interested in working and teaching patients about health. Industrial jobs are sit down in front of a computer job and send e-mails. It gets boring and in the long run its unhealthhy.

So which one is it? You want to go into research of "Useless" drugs, drink coffee with your patients or brag about your job security?

Now that im in the MD course i will finish it

Then why make this dramatic post? My recommendation, be a man of your word, go back to "pharamcy" and lose the shades in the daytime Horatio.

Infact in my opinion, most drugs are useless. Example SSRIs are as good as a placebo drug. Again i stress MOST drugs NOT ALL drugs!! Some drugs do actually help save lives, and i taotally agree with them being prescribed.

But prescribing antibiotics for a Common cold? Cough syrups to New Borns ?? SSRIS and Diazepam to teens becuase they had a breakup? Antifungal cream for HPV ulcers??

That is actually quite crap prescribing

So which one is it? You want to go into research of "Useless" drugs, drink coffee with your patients or brag about your job security?

Then why make this dramatic post?

Negativity of some replies. Seems to me that most of the Docs did it for the money and actually hate treating people

Again, What reason other than taking care of sick patients is there??? Job security?? I had job security as a Pharamcist (approx 3 openings every week) i get manager phining me up for locums and interviews for regulatory positions. I regret to see such an ART of a profession like medicine being reduced to a CATERING LIKE (Waiting staff level) Job.

And with regards to life style people who just work all the time are crazy, you Docs fail to understand that Medicine cant save people, Doctors are more like Therapists.

Part of why I chose medicine because I generally like science the idea of doing other science related jobs, like pharmaceuticals, makes me want to blow my brains out. Also, just because there's a lot of negativity here, doesn't mean that's universal in medicine. The majority of docs I've shadowed and work with enjoy what they do and like most of their patients.

Doctors do save people. I'm sure that the young adult or kid that comes into the ER with massive hemorrhaging after an accident would be fine without physicians. Or the cancer patient who would die without chemo. Or the hundreds of other conditions that would be fatal without treatment...If you want to look at the long term picture of everyone dies though, physicians can do a lot to ensure that patients have a high quality of life for as long as possible. It's not always about just saving lives, which you seem to not be grasping.

Again money does not interest me. And i like people i enjoy helping out others no problem. But i don't think im getting a good feedback from people who are already in the profession and who payed thousands of dollars/Sterling to get the degree and then state that "medicine is crap, do somthing ealse". Does not make much sense!

I expect people to tell you "yeah good descision" but actually 40% of Working Docs actaully hate their jobs??

So many docs don't like their jobs because:

1) They had a goal to work in one field but ended up having to go into another because they weren't competitive.

2) They didn't actually do their research and didn't realize what medicine was like before they started on the path. Then when they got there they were disappointed because it wasn't what they expected. This seems to sound a lot like what you're complaining about.

3) They actually love what they do but hate dealing with the administrative and bureaucratic bs that comes along with the job. This is something that changes, and the few docs I know that legit hate their jobs used to love it but have either been worn down by the paperwork or have seen the field change so much since they started that it's just not worth it for them anymore.

Infact in my opinion, most drugs are useless. Example SSRIs are as good as a placebo drug. Again i stress MOST drugs NOT ALL drugs!! Some drugs do actually help save lives, and i taotally agree with them being prescribed.

But prescribing antibiotics for a Common cold? Cough syrups to New Borns ?? SSRIS and Diazepam to teens becuase they had a breakup? Antifungal cream for HPV ulcers??

That is actually quite crap prescribing

If you're working with docs that are giving SSRIs for breakups and antibiotics for an obvious viral infection then their training is clearly lacking. That's not a problem with medicine, it's a problem with them being crappy physicians.

Reactions: 3 users
Part of why I chose medicine because I generally like science the idea of doing other science related jobs, like pharmaceuticals, makes me want to blow my brains out. Also, just because there's a lot of negativity here, doesn't mean that's universal in medicine. The majority of docs I've shadowed and work with enjoy what they do and like most of their patients.

Doctors do save people. I'm sure that the young adult or kid that comes into the ER with massive hemorrhaging after an accident would be fine without physicians. Or the cancer patient who would die without chemo. Or the hundreds of other conditions that would be fatal without treatment...If you want to look at the long term picture of everyone dies though, physicians can do a lot to ensure that patients have a high quality of life for as long as possible. It's not always about just saving lives, which you seem to not be grasping.

So many docs don't like their jobs because:

1) They had a goal to work in one field but ended up having to go into another because they weren't competitive.

2) They didn't actually do their research and didn't realize what medicine was like before they started on the path. Then when they got there they were disappointed because it wasn't what they expected. This seems to sound a lot like what you're complaining about.

3) They actually love what they do but hate dealing with the administrative and bureaucratic bs that comes along with the job. This is something that changes, and the few docs I know that legit hate their jobs used to love it but have either been worn down by the paperwork or have seen the field change so much since they started that it's just not worth it for them anymore.

If you're working with docs that are giving SSRIs for breakups and antibiotics for an obvious viral infection then their training is clearly lacking. That's not a problem with medicine, it's a problem with them being crappy physicians.
I agree they are Crappy Physicians !! haha

Last edited:
If your goal is to display your ignorance for all of SDN to see, you've done a great job OP. If not, then I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

What made me post this,is that im sick of hearing people in my course and other foundation doctors Constanty complaining about their crap lives (i actually know graduate docs who complain). Espcially at the faculty and hospital, its just disruptive. To much negativity. Hence i had to Post a thread ! hehe.

I have no hate towards medicine as a career actually i have great respect for most of the doctors. But i cant decide on the job, when people are constanlt saying doing medicine is madness, and i mean 1 out of 2 Med students i met and GP's say medicine sucks do somthing ealse.

Quite demoralizing.

And i agree Physcians increase quality of life, but also Physcians are increasingly becoming abused by Hospitals and Administration/ Goverment Entities

If your goal is to display your ignorance for all of SDN to see, you've done a great job OP. If not, then I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

A forum Exists for opinions. Hence a Post to obtain opinions

A forum Exists for opinions. Hence a Post to obtain opinions

Your opinion can be pretty much summed up as "Doctors complain, the job sucks, why would anyone want to be a doctor?" You already have an opinion which you are just seeking validation for. It's not worthy of a serious reply.

you Docs fail to understand that Medicine cant save people, Doctors are more like Therapists.

I think i would fit in a Pharma Company doing drug development, however only now that i am in my second year M2 i have realized this.

I was always interested in working and teaching patients about health

Infact in my opinion, most drugs are useless.

Started working as a Pharmacy manager in 2013 and got bored why you ask??? I was basically doing Accounts, selling vitamins that i personally never agreed to sell as i taught they where utter crap and convincing my patients that the drugs they were taking were good for them.

As i Pharmacist i drink coffee with patients in the Pharamcy and have a good laugh with them.

Hence a Post to obtain opinions

Above is a short list of your many contradictions. Here's a opinion: Bipolar I / II.

Your opinion can be pretty much summed up as "Doctors complain, the job sucks, why would anyone want to be a doctor?" You already have an opinion which you are just seeking validation for. It's not worthy of a serious reply.

I agree as thats what i constantly hear for doctors working at hospital. If most say its crap, then why do it?
Would a person do a job they hate?

Again Let me make my position clear:

1) I enjoy medicine and find the work of a doctor to be fascinating and interesting
2) I respect Docs for their hard work
3) Negative comments from doctors i met and others Doing Residency Programs, have given me doubts that the field is changing for the worst, As i dont wish to work with people who dont want to work or complain about their jobs 24/7.

Actually the rudeness os some of my own colleagues and fellow medical students is disheartening. Some people are so driven they they forget what being human is about. Others complain as they expect to get big money doing nothing.

Hence im trying to get some opinions on the matter as unfortunately Residency programs being in Europe or USA are all Long, have long hours and low salaries (maybe in Europe the salary is even worse)

Again most of us MD graduates end up in Residencies in the USA and UK, so it good to have an opinion on the workload and lifestyle aspect. With regards to UK The new junior Doctor Contract was detrimental to the NHS and many Doctors are quitting to move to NZ and Australia

Above is a short list of your many contradictions. Here's a opinion: Bipolar I / II.[/QUOT

Are you now a psychiatrist by any chance? If thats the case why are you listed as Med student?

What made me post this,is that im sick of hearing people in my course and other foundation doctors Constanty complaining about their crap lives (i actually know graduate docs who complain). Espcially at the faculty and hospital, its just disruptive. To much negativity. Hence i had to Post a thread ! hehe.

I have no hate towards medicine as a career actually i have great respect for most of the doctors. But i cant decide on the job, when people are constanlt saying doing medicine is madness, and i mean 1 out of 2 Med students i met and GP's say medicine sucks do somthing ealse.

Quite demoralizing.

And i agree Physcians increase quality of life, but also Physcians are increasingly becoming abused by Hospitals and Administration/ Goverment Entities

You've started a few threads here over the two weeks flip-flopping between Med and Pharm, trying to decide on the right path for you. But maybe politics would be more right for you. Instead of looking at which job has a better lifestyle, salary, happiness index, etc. and deciding between the lesser of the two evils, why not change the system?

If doctors are abused in your country - do something about it.
If doctors can get away with prescribing antibiotics for a cold - do something about it.
If pharmacists have a strange addiction to coffee and fraternizing with patients while laughing - do something about it.
If people can get into medical school without speaking the official language of the country - do something about it.

Maybe finish your medical studies and try to get into administration, or sit on a tribunal etc. One thing is for sure: sitting around here lamenting about the short comings of either profession isn't helping anybody or anything.

Reactions: 3 users
No disrespect but you're essentially coming to this board complaining about medicine while complaining about those who complain about medicine.
You'll find negativity and nihilism in any field whether it be medicine, pharmacy, or the culinary arts. It doesn't matter, bitching it ubiquitous.
Continue on or don't, that option is yours, but be wary of becoming part of your own problem.

Reactions: 2 users
What i see is that i only recieve negativity about medicine.

Hours are long
Bad salary
No life

So why would any sane person persue, Medicine coz of patients?? As i Pharmacist i drink coffee with patients in the Pharamcy and have a good laugh with them. If you Doctors truly want to help Patients STOP prescribing Useless Crap medication that does NOT work and become human beings, have a chat and a laugh and do it to meet new people.

An internist working 7 on 7 off earns twice as much as a pharmacist and has half the days of the year entirely off. How is that for bad hours/pay/no life? Don't get me started on surgical jobs that can earn 400-500k+ while still having a decent lifestyle.

Tell yourself whatever it takes to be happy with your decision. Medicine requires a huge sacrifice up front, and while doing it solely for the money is stupid, avoiding it because "bad pay" is worse.

Nobody gives a ****

If you are worried about brutal lifestyle or having colleagues that are not d...heads, don't go into surgery.

If you are worried about brutal lifestyle or having colleagues that are not d...heads, don't go into surgery.

Dude you barely finished step, you're already back to bashing specialties that you don't know anything about already?

What's really funny is this guy made a thread on the pharmacy forum called "MD or PharmD?" and well all pretty much told him our job sucks and no one should become a pharmacist. Maybe he's just drinking?

listen, I'm like the nemesis antithesis of all that is surgical, and I'll say this:

surgeons can be mean

some of them though, have the most wicked cool senses of humor, and can be the coolest people to be elbow to elbow with and grab a beer with
some of them among the most charming personalities we have in medicine
and I fully believe they are the most hardworking

but yes, if you have a thin skin (some of us in medicine have a relatively thin skin), you might not have a good time
and they don't brook lazy