With East Coast Dental Educ is it possible to pass west coast Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sedent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of going to Upenn dental for various reasons, but I will 80% be practicing on the west coast in LA. Can I pass the west coast boards if I go to an east coast dental school? I heard that pennsylvania teaches a different crown prep that will fail you on the west coast boards. Is this switch from east to west coast very hard or can it be done?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it should be a problem..as of right now WREB doesn't have a crown prep as part of the exam

Many many students from the west go to the east for education and come back and it's no big deal so go where fits you best.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as they teach you to prep a class II, scale teeth, and do an endo...yes

hmm im not sure.. the school I am considering on the east coast is penn

There should be no problem passing the WREB. You will want to contact the school you think you're going to and ask them if they hold WREB's at their schools. You don't want to drag a patient out to another dental school and not know where anything is. I've heard that passing the CA board is the problem with going back to CA, but I've also heard that recently CA will accept any regional board exam.

hmm im not sure.. the school I am considering on the east coast is penn

I am not a Penn student, but why are you so worried about getting a good education there? They are known as a very good school and you can be sure they will teach you what you need to know to pass any board exam. While each school may vary slightly in the way they teach procedures, all of them teach the same fundamental things. If you aren't so sure about Penn, go somewhere else.

You can't be that clueless.

I this a serious question?

Hey thanks everyone. I am sure about penn in every way except passing the boards in california. For some reason, ucla dental professors say that its a really hard switch if you go to school on the east coast. I know it IS possible, i was just wondering how hard - thanks for the replies!

Hey thanks everyone. I am sure about penn in every way except passing the boards in california. For some reason, ucla dental professors say that its a really hard switch if you go to school on the east coast. I know it IS possible, i was just wondering how hard - thanks for the replies!

I don't think it would hard at all to pass the boards on the west coast with a upenn education... I think it may be more about connections: If you go to school in Philly, you're going to make a ton of connections in Philly and it'll be easier to practice there once you get out; while it's possible that you may have no connections in LA (I'm making some assumptions here). Maybe that's what the professors were referring to.