with non- U.S. /Canada undergrad degree??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior student at 4-year college in Japan, graduating next spring.
I know it is definitelly an advantage to have undergrad degree
in U.S./Canada but I am thinking of just taking prerequisite classes to apply
for med school in U.S. 4-year college for about 2 years since I haven't taken any
science related classes ever.

I really wonder whether I still get chances to get in med school with
Japanese undergrad degree and with approximately 2- year studies in
college in U.S..

Ive already checked some admission requirements of schools but
they don't really mention whether non-U.S./Canada undergrad degree
is acceptable...

Members don't see this ad.

kayo said:
I am a senior student at 4-year college in Japan, graduating next spring.
I know it is definitelly an advantage to have undergrad degree
in U.S./Canada but I am thinking of just taking prerequisite classes to apply
for med school in U.S. 4-year college for about 2 years since I haven't taken any
science related classes ever.

I really wonder whether I still get chances to get in med school with
Japanese undergrad degree and with approximately 2- year studies in
college in U.S..

Ive already checked some admission requirements of schools but
they don't really mention whether non-U.S./Canada undergrad degree
is acceptable...*

It depends on where you apply. Many schools INSIST on you completing an undergraduate degree in the U.S. (or Canada), others will allow you to apply with a foreign degree + prerequisites completed in the U.S., some will allow you to apply with a foreign degree + a U.S. graduate degree. Very few, if any at all, will accept a foreign undergraduate degree alone. At the end of all of that.....you will not be eligible for loans if you are not a permanent resident of the U.S. (Green Card holder) and many schools will demand on you paying 3-4 years of the tuition up-front. It's hard, but not impossible. Good luck! :)

i cant advise on tuition, but definitely (since Scottish Chap helped me !!) can advise on schools that will accept a combination of foreign undergrad and US prereqisites, or simply US rperequisites alone.

I have a foreign (UK) degree, and 2 years of US undergrad course work. I sent an email to every medical school in the US about 2 weeks ago, and via email and phone calls I have a fairly comprehensive list of the schools that I satisfy the requirements for.

PM me your email address, or simply email me: [email protected] and I can send you the spreadsheet I have...might save you a lot of time and effort.

cheers,
David.