With nursing home insurance billing, do you just bill for what they acutally used?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that after the medication exchange, the nursing home patient didn't take three of their doses? Do you only bill their insurance for what they actually used, or do you bill for the whole amount?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say that after the medication exchange, the nursing home patient didn't take three of their doses? Do you only bill their insurance for what they actually used, or do you bill for the whole amount?

Thanks!
Does your state allow you to reuse those doses?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it can be returned and re-used (unit dose product), then you can potentially adjust the claim. Otherwise, the full amount is billed and remainder is wasted.

Reactions: 1 user
If you get audited and have dispensed/billed more drug than you’ve purchased, it’s gonna be a bad time. Refund whatever you can redispense.

Reactions: 2 users
If you get audited and have dispensed/billed more drug than you’ve purchased, it’s gonna be a bad time. Refund whatever you can redispense.

Yeah, common sense should tell the OP that you can't double bill.

Yeah, common sense should tell the OP that you can't double bill.
There is some nuance to it, though. My previous LTC facility would refund Legend drugs, but not CII-V’s because controlled meds couldn’t be redispensed.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, justjoe. That's a good question you asked, it depends on a lot of factors, for instance, the state where you're living. I had the same problem a year ago, so I decided to find out more information about it by using the Internet. There a lot of proposals there so it's hard to choose. I found the site of Money Expert, it helped me, so it might help you too. This site provides information about home insurance companies, their service and features according to your state and your property, of course. They advised me to get GEICO insurance, I've been using it for several months and everything is okay.

Last edited: