With the increase in women in dentistry, will the over saturation kind of even out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoomerSooner-ang

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, with each passing year the number of practicing dentists entering the work field continues to outpace the amount of dentists leaving. Another trend occurring in the field of dentistry is arise in the amount of women entering the field.

Nowadays more women enter the field than men do, and it doesn't look like this trend is going to change anytime soon. On average, women are more likely than men to work part time in dentistry. If this remains true, then will the amount of dentists working part time help the saturation within dentistry? We would see several dentists working on a rotating schedule in the same practice, as opposed to one dentist per office. idk, i;m bored at work, what do yall think?

Members don't see this ad.

As many of you know, with each passing year the number of practicing dentists entering the work field continues to outpace the amount of dentists leaving. Another trend occurring in the field of dentistry is arise in the amount of women entering the field.

Nowadays more women enter the field than men do, and it doesn't look like this trend is going to change anytime soon. On average, women are more likely than men to work part time in dentistry. If this remains true, then will the amount of dentists working part time help the saturation within dentistry? We would see several dentists working on a rotating schedule in the same practice, as opposed to one dentist per office. idk, i;m bored at work, what do yall think?

Most women dentists I know work full time

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think anyone older without the stresses of debt will work part time instead of going into early retirement. Most of the old dentist I know (read: over 55) are part timing it whether or not they own a practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Women dentists graduate with the same level of debt male dentists graduate with. I'd expect the level of work of recent grads to be relatively equal regardless of gender for at least the first 10 years. Then again maybe I'm wrong because someone going to D-school right after Uni will be 26-27 and some women want to start families and will end up taking care of their kids and working less.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
It would take another generation after us to make the majority of dentists relatively close to 50/50. Without sounding too misogynist, most female dentists are looking forward to having their own families. As a result, they usually part time until their children are somewhat independent. All of the female dentists I have shadowed are well into their mid 40s and work full time, only because their children are already in college.

Unfortunately, part time workers will lean toward corporate dentistry