With this GPA, What can I get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spotless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am a college student majoring in Psychology and minoring in Chemistry. My guess is that by the time I graduate I will get a 3.2 GPA. This is so because my first semester of freshman year I got terrible 1.97 GPA. My other semester grades have been around 3.4 GPA. I did bad my first year because my Grandmother died a couple months before I entered college my freshman year. I was really depressed about her death and I wasn't thinking clearly during my first semester. My other reasons are because I was stuck with a crappy roommate who just wanted to party and not study. After second semester I smarten up and ended up with a 3.1 GPA. After that, so far I just received a 3.45 GPA. And my guess is that I will end up with a 3.4 GPA every semester by the time I graduate, whic leads to a 3.2 GPA Overall(Cummulative).

Now my question is because I did horribly my first semester of my freshman year, will I be able to get into Medical school as I've planned all along or can I still get into Graduate school or Law school? Can you please give me some advice on what I should do after graduation.

Thanks! :cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you still have a good chance of getting in:D The upward trend in your GPA is definately good and what adcoms like to see. In your personal statement you may want to point your first semester GPA out and then explain it to the interviewers when you go on your interviews. Just do well on the MCATS, make sure you have lots of volunteer work , have genuine interest in osteopathic medicine and you should be fine :D

Dont worry buddy...I was in the same boat. I had a 1.99 after my frosh year of college. Playing football and suffering a career ending injury, being an engineering major, and away from home. I had a lot to deal with. However, I got my act together and graduated with a 3.42 GPA. I did Ok on my MCATs and I had a ton of great extracurriculars. Like you, i was afraid of getting in somewhere and i decided to take a year off after college and see where I stand. Looking back, I wish I had just straight out applied becuase I think I would have gotten in. However, in that time off, I matured and gained a better outlook on life...and gained better health care experience. Back to your dilemma though...I think if you do well on your MCATs and get great ECs, you will be fine. I am living proof....I am going to be NOVA Class of 2007!!!:D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure that with your grades you can get into a medical school. But I would try and do well on the MCAT just in case. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA and did horrible my first two and a half years! (2.5 GPA at fifth semester) so an upward trend is something they do look at. Also like the guy before said, extracurricular activities are important. I would mention why the GPA was a little lower in the personal statement. But there's so little space don't forget about your extra-curricular activities and achievements. If you can, try and get in without going to grad school or even worse, law school... That takes too much time...

Good luck!
Duke, Class of 2003, KCOM

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you explain why you did poorly during your first year...make sure you're honest and you'll be okay.
Although, I do have to question if Medicine is really the right career choice for you...If you're considering law school one might assume your heart really isn't into being a Doctor. Those are 2 completely different fields. I truly believe that in order to accomplish your goal in becoming a doctor, it has to be something you really want, no second guessing. You're going to need to apply yourself in medical school like you never have before. If it's not something you want to do 110% that may cause you problems when you get there.
I think that before you worry about whether you can get in...you need to think out what you really want to do with your life. Good Luck to you in what ever that path you may choose may be!