Withdraw from Western Michigan University pre-II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.PotatoHead

Reaction score
I'm a MI resident with two MD acceptances, one OOS private with a good reputation (mid+ tier) and one OOS public with a slightly lesser reputation (mid/low tier). Western MI is a private school with COA of ~85k regardless of IS versus OOS. It's less well established and, from what I can tell, research opportunities seem to be lacking. Clinical training is probably run-of-the-mill. My OOS private acceptance is ~70k COA, and I have upcoming interviews at two IS public schools with ~50-60k COA. WMU isn't even very close to home, so the only true benefit to attending the interview would be the potential for scholarship money. Is this worth factoring into the equation? Is there any other factor that I'm missing as I consider withdrawing? I'd be perfectly happy at the OOS private school. Loved everything about the interview day there. FWIW interviews 4 and 5 will be coming up shortly, WMU would be #6.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MI resident with two MD acceptances, one OOS private with a good reputation (mid+ tier) and one OOS public with a slightly lesser reputation (mid/low tier). Western MI is a private school with COA of ~85k regardless of IS versus OOS. It's less well established and, from what I can tell, research opportunities seem to be lacking. Clinical training is probably run-of-the-mill. My OOS private acceptance is ~70k COA, and I have upcoming interviews at two IS public schools with ~50-60k COA. WMU isn't even very close to home, so the only true benefit to attending the interview would be the potential for scholarship money. Is this worth factoring into the equation? Is there any other factor that I'm missing as I consider withdrawing? I'd be perfectly happy at the OOS private school. Loved everything about the interview day there.
WMU gave out money the last few years. I am not sure if they will be giving out money this year. If the opportunity cost is small why not attend the interview?

WMU gave out money the last few years. I am not sure if they will be giving out money this year. If the opportunity cost is small why not attend the interview?
Is that right? In that case, it might be worth attending the interview. If nothing else, it would be nice to see the facilities that Stryker helped pay for.

Is that right? In that case, it might be worth attending the interview. If nothing else, it would be nice to see the facilities that Stryker helped pay for.
they offered full tuition to the first class, half tuition to the class after that and 10K to the third class. I am not sure if they are still offering money, but they might still have some money on the table.