Withdraw Interview before the interview start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taskha

Reaction score
I was just accepted by my top choice school but I do have a interview this afternoon at another school. I know I will not attend that school but their rule of cancelling and rescheduling are at least three days ahead. Should I give a call to their admission office to cancel it right now!!! I am 100% sure won't attend their program. If I attend the interview, I think I am bringing extra burdens of work to them. What should I do? Help plz!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most advice on SDN is to do an interview, get accepted and wait for the financial aid package before deciding. I think its a bit too late to cancel, unless it interfere with work.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I was just accepted by my top choice school but I do have a interview this afternoon at another school. I know I will not attend that school but their rule of cancelling and rescheduling are at least three days ahead. Should I give a call to their admission office to cancel it right now!!! I am 100% sure won't attend their program. If I attend the interview, I think I am bringing extra burdens of work to them. What should I do? Help plz!!
Doesn't matter. The interview slot is gone forever because you didn't give them enough notice to reschedule, and you are not going to attend anyway, so the interview is pointless. Schools always do what is best for them. In this case, there is no reason for you to waste your time doing the interview.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will be good courtesy to call and let them know that you will not be attending.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
^^^
agree with the above. Give them the courtesy of a phone call, if you haven’t already ...

I know this event has already occurred, but I am making this comment for any future reader that might have this problem and stumble across this thread.

Go to the interview. Do the thing with the very best of your ability, and act like you care. "Why, I already got in somewhere else."

Why? Because the medical community is truly, very very small. For example, I have good friends at a lot of different medical schools who will one day be deans or program directors or just regular ol' clinicians, my current professors have put me into contact with professors at other schools for research, my current Dean was a Residency Director at 3 different places and knows a lot of other Residency Directors, etc. As you get through the system you realize how easy it is to truly track people down.

An example of what you do not want to happen: you decline an interview on the day of or are super rude or extremely offputting or whatever else can make you a really bad candidate -> dean, physician, person of importance remembers this -> goes to different job later down the road -> your application for residency or a job comes back up on this persons table -> probably an immediate. I know that is a stretch, but you pre-meds would be amazed at how truly easy it is to track someone down who knows a guy who knows a guy who has heard something about you in this community.

The point is, don't burn bridges in this profession - especially this early - for things that can easily be controlled.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this event has already occurred, but I am making this comment for any future reader that might have this problem and stumble across this thread.

Go to the interview. Do the thing with the very best of your ability, and act like you care. "Why, I already got in somewhere else."

Why? Because the medical community is truly, very very small. For example, I have good friends at a lot of different medical schools who will one day be deans or program directors or just regular ol' clinicians, my current professors have put me into contact with professors at other schools for research, my current Dean was a Residency Director at 3 different places and knows a lot of other Residency Directors, etc. As you get through the system you realize how easy it is to truly track people down.

An example of what you do not want to happen: you decline an interview on the day of or are super rude or extremely offputting or whatever else can make you a really bad candidate -> dean, physician, person of importance remembers this -> goes to different job later down the road -> your application for residency or a job comes back up on this persons table -> probably an immediate. I know that is a stretch, but you pre-meds would be amazed at how truly easy it is to track someone down who knows a guy who knows a guy who has heard something about you in this community.

The point is, don't burn bridges in this profession - especially this early - for things that can easily be controlled.
I was glad to see this sincere post! I actually went to the interview and did my best!
It's a very engaging and memorable interview and I'm very happy to be there with the students and faculty.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think this applies for an interview a week out?
A week is fine; I was more-so referencing canceling the day of, or in this case not cancelling before the three days that they asked for.