Withdraw or not to Withdraw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imperfectluck1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone: I am in a dilemma right now.

I have a B- in organic chemistry right now with one final exam to go, worth 25% of the grade. My gpa is ok: 3.83, but last semester I got a B- in mechanics, so I'm a little worried about doing poorly on the last o-chem final and getting a B-, B, or lower.

So should I drop the course right and take a withdraw?

As of now I am leaning towards taking the withdraw as of right now, and then scheduling the honors and harder section of organic chemistry next semester to show that I improved...The only thing I am worried about is late dropping a prerequisite course and the impression on adcoms.... What should I do, I only have three hours to make the decision???? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

One W is no big deal. Just don't make a habit of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst is you take the hit with another B, what if in the future you take a harder course and end up with facing a much worse grade, drop it again?
Save the W's for classes that you will get a C- and lower.

I wouldn't W anything over a B-. W is the panic button for oh****imgonnafail, and they won't have any way of knowing that you were actually getting along kinda okay behind that W.

I wouldn't W anything over a B-. W is the panic button for oh****imgonnafail, and they won't have any way of knowing that you were actually getting along kinda okay behind that W.

Hey, hey, Tiktaalik!

Long time no see -- I thought u died out like 370 million years ago...
Where u been hiding all this time, buddy?

Hey, hey, Tiktaalik!

Long time no see -- I thought u died out like 370 million years ago...
Where u been hiding all this time, buddy?

Been kickin' it on Ellesmere Island! How's it been with you, Ronny? Haven't seen you since the Devonian.

Been kickin' it on Ellesmere Island! How's it been with you, Ronny? Haven't seen you since the Devonian.

That's cool. Not much here -- just enjoying my retirement.
Well, give me a call sometime and we'll go for a swim around the island.
[Don't worry, you bring the beer and I'll bring the hunny's. Ice cold water = epic win.]

It's kinda of my fault, I didn't really study as much as I liked to for the tests. I'm pretty sure i would do a lot better if I prepared more beforehand. If I earn a high grade next time around, would the withdraw be looked over?

It's kinda of my fault, I didn't really study as much as I liked to for the tests. I'm pretty sure i would do a lot better if I prepared more beforehand. If I earn a high grade next time around, would the withdraw be looked over?

They won't act as though it's invisible. They'll still know that it took two tries for you to do the class, and they'll think about that when deciding on your app.

Will that be a big deal? Nah, not huge. But think of the W as a life-saving video game power-up you only get to use once - would you rather use it now, or reserve it for the final boss?

You sound like you think getting lower than a B is a serious possibility here. If that's the case, now's your time to deploy, and it won't bother you much as long as you do well next time. If you think you can pull out a B if you work your ass off, though, then I'd say hold on to it. It's okay to only use it once, and better to never use it at all. Only you can decide if you're prepared enough to stay above the panic line.

If it comforts you, I pulled out a W on chem II - it was a summer online class, and there was a glitch in the class software that didn't show up until halfway through, making it impossible to complete the class. I took a W for it and got an A the following semester. I got into both the schools (good, solid top 10 vet schools, not caribbs or anything like that) I applied to in spite of the W. My app isn't your app and circumstances are different, but a W followed by a good grade isn't a death sentence, for sure.

I have a W for general biology 2 and a W for General physics 1, i'm retaking general physics right now and generla bio 2 in summer. However if you can get a B, like i stated before, don't waste your time retaking... unless you feel you can pull an A and that its truly worth your time and effort.

I have a W for general biology 2 and a W for General physics 1, i'm retaking general physics right now and generla bio 2 in summer. However if you can get a B, like i stated before, don't waste your time retaking... unless you feel you can pull an A and that its truly worth your time and effort.

ahh we kind of in the same boat, i just Withdrew from some random bio class and a history classs from way before. i am kind of wondering if i made the right move or not.....

See the link in my signature and take a moment to realize that a B- is not a bad grade for a class like Orgo 2.

I wouldn't drop it unless you feel like you might get a C. A B, or even a B- isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I agree with others above, save the W's when you're in danger of getting a C.

I got plenty of B-'s, B's and B+'s in college. To be honest, they probably make you look like more of a real person than a pre-med robot. I got into two Top 20 schools (2/3 of my top choices of places I interviewed at)...so I wouldn't stress too much about it. I think I got B's both semesters of Orgo (maybe a B- thrown in there). Orgo wasn't my thing, never has been. Most doctors agreed with me in interviews...they weren't particularly good at it either :)

Last edited: