Withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pezzang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I need your opinion on whether to drop cell biology or not. If I drop now, W will be on the transcript. I am taking three other science classes and I didn't do well in the intro to biology. My science GPA is not high (~3.5) and B will lower the science GPA by .03 (to 3.47). What do you think is a better choice, getting B and lowering the science GPA to 3.47 or withdraw and get W on the transcript? Please let me know...

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my god take the B. ESPECIALLY if you know your cumulative GPA will still be at or above 3.5 this semester.

B>>>>W
Taking a "W" usually implies you were failing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I wasn't aware W>>>>>B.

Yeah. A "B" is not bad, especially for cell biology. I think the general interpretation of a withdrawal is that "this person was failing and jumped ship before they received a formal grade."

Hi I need your opinion on whether to drop cell biology or not. If I drop now, W will be on the transcript. I am taking three other science classes and I didn't do well in the intro to biology. My science GPA is not high (~3.5) and B will lower the science GPA by .03 (to 3.47). What do you think is a better choice, getting B and lowering the science GPA to 3.47 or withdraw and get W on the transcript? Please let me know...

Is this your second year? A B is negligible in impact to your overall GPA by the time your AMCAS GPA is calculated. I see nothing wrong with a B. I got a 3.1 in developmental biology and it was the most difficult B ever. I even did better in orgo and developmental was on par in difficulty. Organic required more memorization while developmental required an insane amount of conceptual information that was new since I hadn't had cell biology.

Is this your second year? A B is negligible in impact to your overall GPA by the time your AMCAS GPA is calculated. I see nothing wrong with a B. I got a 3.1 in developmental biology and it was the most difficult B ever. I even did better in orgo and developmental was on par in difficulty. Organic required more memorization while developmental required an insane amount of conceptual information that was new since I hadn't had cell biology.

I am more worried about my science GPA since it's not great. I am less worried about overall gpa because it accounts for lots of classes so the effect of one B is minimal... Thanks for your comments.

I am more worried about my science GPA since it's not great. I am less worried about overall gpa because it accounts for lots of classes so the effect of one B is minimal... Thanks for your comments.

If you are taking cell bio I'm assuming you are a science major. It really won't make that much difference in the end. Just do the best you can in the rest of the semester and improve the grade if possible. There is nothing wrong with a B.

I'm not sure why anyone would care about getting a W if you are going to retake the course. I don't buy the nonsense that anyone would believe "w = you were failing". I've never withdrawn from a class I wasn't getting an A in, four of them so far. I just refuse to pay money to profs that can't teach. I can read/learn by myself and save myself the $$$. Mileage may vary for folks who have mommy and daddy to pay for everything.

I'm not sure why anyone would care about getting a W if you are going to retake the course. I don't buy the nonsense that anyone would believe "w = you were failing". I've never withdrawn from a class I wasn't getting an A in, four of them so far. I just refuse to pay money to profs that can't teach. I can read/learn by myself and save myself the $$$. Mileage may vary for folks who have mommy and daddy to pay for everything.

There is a difference between an early drop and a withdrawal. If you withdrawal you already paid the money. An early drop you get 100% or a certain percentage back depending on how long you wait.

Thanks. I wasn't aware W>>>>>B.

It's B>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>W... unless you're being sarcastic, in that case I totally missed the boat.

B's wont keep you out of medical school.

W's and C's will.

my god. is this for real?

There is a difference between an early drop and a withdrawal. If you withdrawal you already paid the money. An early drop you get 100% or a certain percentage back depending on how long you wait.

At my university, the tutition does not change after you hit 12 credits. So, I could drop a course and get a W then get some mid term credits instead. We have quite a few classes that start halfway through the semester.

hey i am in the same boat but in Organic biochemistry 2, except i will get a C. This will kill my gpa for this term but being a Jr will not effect my overall that much. But at the same time this final is same day as two other finals and will take the most time to study for just to get the C.

Should i take the W or the C? I am leaning towards the W side atm. I dont know what to do. I already have W's but really old pointless classes. I am taking 2 other science classes and 2 science labs and will get A's or B+'s in all of them. This class would pull down this terms gpa to about a 3.0x

Didn't you learn anything in 8th grade health? That method doesn't work!