Withdrawal AOA Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitecoat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question for osteopathic students who are applying for allopathic residency. Do you have to withdraw from the AOA match if you are planning to participate in the NRMP match? I thought I should just choose not to submit the rank list in the AOA match, but the information on the website sounds as though I have to withdraw from the AOA match by Jan 25. I appreciate your comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I believe you need to withdraw. Besides, if you're going to participate in only the M.D. match then there's no reason to stay registered for the D.O. match anyway. You don't get your money back either way:rolleyes:

You can participate in both matches, however if you match in the AOA match then you have to accept the position and must withdraw from the MD match. Yes the deadline to put in your ROL for the AOA match is on the 25th. Goodluck, DW

What happens if you don't withdraw but haven't submitted any rankings?

Your schools match statistics drop and we wouldnt want that would we

Match day for the AOA match is Feb 9th, long before the ROL deadline for the NRMP match. You can participate in the AOA match, and even try to scramble into an open position. If you do, you simply withdraw from the NRMP match on Feb 9th. Else, you allow your NRMP match to proceed.

Apparently, you are supposed to withdraw before midnight if you plan on entering the allopathic match. I missed the deadline to withdraw. What do I do? I didn't rank any programs.

I also missed the osteopathic withdrawl deadline. Like the above poster, I did not rank any osteopathic programs as I intend on entering the allopathic match. I thought that if I did not rank any osteopathic programs, I would simply not match and would automatically enter the allopathic match. However, reading the website, it made it sound like I had to formally withdraw. Any comments?

I also did not withdraw, however I did not rank any other programs either. I got a call from them on friday and they said it was fine and nothing bad would happen. THey did say to reply to the email we got today about not ranking and tell them you are not going to participate in the osteopathic match.

I also missed the osteopathic withdrawl deadline. Like the above poster, I did not rank any osteopathic programs as I intend on entering the allopathic match. I thought that if I did not rank any osteopathic programs, I would simply not match and would automatically enter the allopathic match. However, reading the website, it made it sound like I had to formally withdraw. Any comments?

JohnDO always the slacker!

You beat me this time as I withdrew.

I am fairly new to SDN so I'm not sure where to post this Q:

As a DO student, if I register for but then decide not to take the USMLE on top of the COMLEX, when I do my ERAS applications will I have to declare that I ever considered/registered for the USMLE?

Is the COMLEX getting more and more widely used by Allo program directors to decide on candidates or is that wishful thinking on the AOA's part? Should I just go on it is almost mandatory to take the USMLE as well in order to obtain a decent allo residency even in "not too competitive" specialties like IM, Peds, FM...