Withdrawal = Burning Bridges?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnMadden

Political Refugee
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN Nation,

Does anyone have any idea if withdrawing from a school burns any bridges or limits future opportunities at the respective schools? (e.g. research, residency)

In my case, I withdrew from a school that really wanted me to attend (or so they told me) because I had previous work experience with the institution and knew a lot of the people.

However, I am interested in doing a year of research at the school that I withdrew from. Do you think it would be hard to find a mentor/support because I chose to attend a different school that was financially a better deal?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I doubt very much anyone is keeping score/will care down the line. Anecdotally, my fiancee decided not to attend a school (that was interested enough to offer a pretty good deal financially) and ended going there for her fellowship and now got a faculty job there.

If the school liked you enough to admit you, I can't imagine they won't also be interested in you in some other capacity in the future.

Too many people would have too many bridges burned if that's the case. If you keep it professional, there is no need to worry about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea if withdrawing from a school burns any bridges or limits future opportunities at the respective schools? (e.g. research, residency)

In my case, I withdrew from a school that really wanted me to attend (or so they told me) because I had previous work experience with the institution and knew a lot of the people.

However, I am interested in doing a year of research at the school that I withdrew from. Do you think it would be hard to find a mentor/support because I chose to attend a different school that was financially a better deal?

I don't think it will make a difference. At my school, what goes on in the admissions office is well separated from what goes on in other administrative offices around campus, and I would assume that this is also the case elsewhere. I don't think that any prospective research mentors would have any way of finding out if you even applied to that particular school.

Even if they did know, I doubt that they would hold it against you - there are so many personal factors (family, spouses, finances) that go into deciding where to go for med school, it would be ridiculous to hold a personal grudge against someone who chose to go elsewhere.

Good luck!