Withdrawal from course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been answered a million times, but the search engine is disabled and I was having trouble finding the answer. What happens if you get a "W" in a course? Is it included in your AMCAS GPA or is it not counted at all?
I signed up for a foreign language course for fun this semester and took it "credit" "no credit", not realizing "no credit" = F! I was going to try to get a W now even though it's too late, but if that counts as F too, then there is no point. It wouldn't even matter except that I am thinking of taking an English course there in the fall as a med school requirement so would need to turn in my transcript.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You must report on your AMCAS, and it will show up on the report, especially if they will recheck your AMCAS when they receive your official transcripts.

But I don't know why they would ever receive this transcript if I never listed I went there. I know it's a bit dishonest, but really, I don't think my No Credit in Intermediate Conversational Spanish should factor into my GPA when I've already received an A in Intermediate Spanish from a much more challenging school. I think I will not report it and take English elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) TRY to change it to a W. Then it will not affect your gpa AT ALL.

2) If you choose not to report a grade and a med school finds out, you could be kicked out. On the W thread you were looking for, somebody posted that they know of someone who was kicked out of med school (after it started) for witholding grades. A W is no big deal, so I think you should try to change it to that if possible.

are Audits considered in the AMCAS gpa?

in high school, I audited courses @ a local comm college for educational purposes. About 15 hours worth...Does that count against me in any way?

better not.. :confused:

Those are for no credit but it may be to your advantage to list them, since it could make you look like a student "thirsting for knowledge" :p

I took this "wonderful" course for no credit hours called "aerobics medley" and I failed, so now I get a nice big Unsatisfactory on my final transcript.

BY ALL MEANS, withdraw from the course and report the W. The W won't hurt the GPA, and if it's an isolated incident (which it sounds like it is) then it'll be no big deal. DO NOT LIE AND OMIT THE GRADE--you'll just be asking for trouble!

haha..good foxy.

Thing is...my current school includes the hours of audited classes with my GPA, thus lowering my GPA by several points. That make any sense?

example:

60 hours of real classes + 15 hours of audited= 75 hours.

Points earned from 60 hours= 240= 4.0 GPA.

Points earned divided by 75 hours= 3.2 GPA.

It's not that severe, but comparable.

I'm left asking...wtf? :confused: I hope AMCAS isn't like that.

Blitzkreig, I think you should read the help window on AMCAS to be sure, but I really doubt that Audited classes count for a grade on amcas, since they are for no credit....but if the letter grades show up, I wouldn't put it if I didn't have to.

It doesn't matter to AMCAS if your school counts the auditted classes in your gpa, b/c amcas calculates its own gpa. So therefore, if AMCAS doesn't count the classes, then it won't hurt you. Did that make sense?

i FINALLY found someone helpful at the community college where i was taking the course :) everyone else i talked to before had said it was too late to withdraw. she said i should be able to get a late withdrawal if i explain my circumstances. PHEW! now i won't have to worry about withholding information and can hopefully take the english course there next semester.