Withdrawal letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curiosity32

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with any input out there on how to write/word a letter indicating you are withdrawing your application? I've been accepted to my first choice med school and now I need to withdraw my applications at other schools that have accepted me. Please help!!!:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

NO need to be fancy, just say "Thanks for considering my application and offering me an application. However, I'm writing to let you know that I've decided to withdraw my acceptance"

Actually for schools that were nice to me throughout the process, I add in a few sentences saying how impressed I was with the school, etc., but it really doesn't matter as long as you're polite in the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
quick question, do you address these letters just to the admissions office in general or should it go to a specific dean? starting a letter with "Dear XXX School of Medicine Admissions Office" just sounds weird to me

Originally posted by spidermonkey11
quick question, do you address these letters just to the admissions office in general or should it go to a specific dean? starting a letter with "Dear XXX School of Medicine Admissions Office" just sounds weird to me

My withdrawals were all emails (I called each school to ask if email withdrawals were OK), and they all just started "To Whom It May Concern." I really don't think it matters. Just don't be rude and burn any bridges and you'll be fine. Mine were about 2 sentences long.