General Admissions & OTCAS Withdrawal or (possible) C?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackVelvet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm applying to OT school very soon and I have a question regarding my pre-requesites. I've gotten an A in nearly all of them thus far (excluding Abnormal Psychology, in which I got a B). I'm just finishing up Anatomy, my final pre-req...for the second time. I withdrew from it earlier this year because of work conflicts - this particular teacher was extremely demanding (several people I know who've taken Anatomy agreed with me on that assessment), and the workload wasn't realistic for a working student.

I'm now taking a summer Anatomy class and my teacher now is much more reasonable. Everything was going swimmingly (I had a high B in the class) until I bombed two tests in a row (failed one and got a C on the other), due to a mixture of being sick/some personal issues. Since those, I've been doing okay - a mixture of B's and A's (probably would be better if it wasn't for work, but alas, not working is not an option for me). But since the grade I got on that practical was so low, my grade is currently a 75%.

We have one quiz and one test left...then our finals (lab and lecture, one the day after the other). This is all going to be within a 2 week span, and I'm panicking that I won't be able to redeem myself and might possibly get a C. It's a gamble.

I'm not sure if I should just bust my ass and risk it (even one screwup would damn me) or if I should play it safe and withdraw, and take the same teacher in fall. I feel like withdrawing twice would look very bad, but I'm not sure if a potential C would look worse.

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I'm applying to OT school very soon and I have a question regarding my pre-requesites. I've gotten an A in nearly all of them thus far (excluding Abnormal Psychology, in which I got a B). I'm just finishing up Anatomy, my final pre-req...for the second time. I withdrew from it earlier this year because of work conflicts - this particular teacher was extremely demanding (several people I know who've taken Anatomy agreed with me on that assessment), and the workload wasn't realistic for a working student.

I'm now taking a summer Anatomy class and my teacher now is much more reasonable. Everything was going swimmingly (I had a high B in the class) until I bombed two tests in a row (failed one and got a C on the other), due to a mixture of being sick/some personal issues. Since those, I've been doing okay - a mixture of B's and A's (probably would be better if it wasn't for work, but alas, not working is not an option for me). But since the grade I got on that practical was so low, my grade is currently a 75%.

We have one quiz and one test left...then our finals (lab and lecture, one the day after the other). This is all going to be within a 2 week span, and I'm panicking that I won't be able to redeem myself and might possibly get a C. It's a gamble.

I'm not sure if I should just bust my ass and risk it (even one screwup would damn me) or if I should play it safe and withdraw, and take the same teacher in fall. I feel like withdrawing twice would look very bad, but I'm not sure if a potential C would look worse.

I'd really appreciate some advice.
That is a tough position to be in no doubt! I am not sure there is a good answer. A&P is one of the classes that the schools look very closely at to judge if a student can handle the course load, plus the material you learn in A&P will come up in future OT courses. I would recommend going and talking with the professor of the course. I would explain your situation and see if there is anything that he may be able to help you with. Occasionally professors will offer extra credit or maybe let you retake one of the tests you bombed and average the two grades together. Or maybe he could give you some advice or help on how to ace what work you have left. I would also calculate your final grade... would a high B on all the rest of the assignments would give you a B in the class? You have stated that you are getting all A's and B's, so you know the material! Therefore it stands to reason that you could get a B or even A's on the remainder of the materials does it not? I know you say not working is not an option, but would it be possible to take a day or two off just to give yourself a little extra time?
Don't let the two low grades rattle you, you were doing so well and know exactly what happened that caused you to side step. So if you can get back into your groove and recapture your A&P mojo you should have no issues completing the assignments with at least a B. Two Ws in OTCAS will not affect your GPA but it might cause the programs to question why, but if you then are able to get an A in the class on the 3rd try I am not sure what their reaction would be. If you get a C in the class it will bring down your GPA and make more difficult but not impossible to get accepted to programs. But along the same lines it may be possible for you to come out of this current class with a B. You have to do whats best for you and only you know what that is. Whatever your choice I wish you all the best!
There is another thread on this forum that similar questions that you may want to check out: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-chances-with-a-c-in-anatomy-and-phys.942348/

You gotta give it a whirl. You have enough grades to still get you at that B, so you can't give up. I'm rooting for you, keep grinding :)