Withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.Furfur

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound snobby or anything the sort but Im wondering how one should withdraw from a school? Should I send an email simply informing them of my decision, should I call the dean and explain myself? or should I send a detailed email telling them the whole story and that as much as I liked their school that is (was) one of my top choices, I had to go with the much cheaper/closer option.
I know they have probably gotten 100 emails like mine but I just can't help feeling guilty about doing this.

Members don't see this ad.

Either call and let them know or send a short email. No need to send a long drawn out email. They know where else you got in and will understand whatever decision you had to make

Don't feel guilty. Think of it as making someone else on the waitlist very happy.;)

You can either send them an email, or call. You don't have to go into a long story, but I think it would be nice to let them know that, although they were your preferred school, you decided to go with a more economical offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my acceptance from X and attend elsewhere. This decision was very hard to make. In fact, I had everything already set to move to "x's city". However, I was offered a very generous financial aid package and had to go with the more economic option. I will always be thankful for the time, support and the opportunity you have given me.

People withdraw everyday and there is no need to pander to them by lying about your intentions to move there (even if it's true it probably comes off as insincere). A simple polite e-mail thanking them for the opportunity will probably suffice so I would stick with your first sentence and follow it with your last. If they want more specific details they will likely send you some form of post withdrawl survey.

After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my acceptance from X and attend elsewhere. This decision was very hard to make. In fact, I had everything already set to move to "x's city". However, I was offered a very generous financial aid package and had to go with the more economic option. I will always be thankful for the time, support and the opportunity you have given me.

That sounds sincere and professional enough. I think this'll do.

Or maybe try a "Suck it! I'm out bitches!" :laugh: