withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ricegai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering how bad 2 W's would on my college transcript. One is from a comp sci class and the other would be from genetics. I havn't officially withdrew from genetics yet but I'd probably get a B- to a B at best if I stayed. If I transfer to another school and take genetics again and get an A, would that kind of compensate for the fact that I withdrew from it before? Thanks every1.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not the best situation, but you'll be fine. I withdrew from 2 classes, and I was accepted. What's really bad is to establish a pattern where you withdraw from everything that challenges you (I'm not saying you're doing that, I'm just cautioning you not to start!)

A B or B- is also not great, but honestly, almost everyone applies to med school with at least some Bs. The classes I withdrew from were classes I seriously felt in danger of failing, not just classes I didn't think I could get As in. A B will not be the end of you, so if you think you can pull it off, I wouldn't withdraw.

Withdrawing, retaking, and getting an A in genetics will sort of compensate for it... genetics isn't required at most schools, so the effect of retaking won't be huge. It would be a different story if you withdrew from orgo or something.

Thanks for the reply virusgirl. I'll probably end up withdrawing because getting a B or B- in that class will pretty much screw my gpa for the semester, esp. bcpm. I had another question regarding gpa. If for example your gpa is like a 3.496, does amcas round that to the nearest hundredths to a 3.5? Thanks for replies.