withdrawals, deposit refunds & W-9 forms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laddr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to EVMS earlier in the application season and sent in my $100 deposit. Prior to May 15th, I chose to withdraw my acceptance and was therefore sent a refund check in the mail. This past week, I received mail from EVMS addressed to my name on the envelope but that contained a letter that generically began "Dear Vendor" and a W-9 form (IRS Request for Taxpayer Identification Number & Certification).

Has anyone else received this form? I find it odd that I would have to submit this form, especially since it might mean I'll have to claim the refunded money as income when filing my taxes next year.

FYI: I know many of you might say "who cares?" but I am a non-trad student who has held a full-time job this past year so any implications this might have on my taxes is important to me.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

That's odd. I have never heard of that and had a deposit from another school refunded to me without any tax forms. I fail to see how the $100 could be classified as income since you are just being refunded. I would give their office a call and see what they say.