Withdrawals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vergil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of withdrawals on my transcript
because of work/personal obligations and wanting to achieve the highest possible GPA. I currently have a 3.9 (which includes grades earned in chemistry, organic and physics). I have also been working as a medical assistant in a local hospital for the past 2 years--to
assure myself of my desire by gaining experience.

Please tell me plainly--will the withdrawals seriously compromise my competitiveness in the application process (assuming my MCAT's are in the acceptable range)?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your response.
Of the last 19 classes that I have taken, I have withdrawn from 7 of them.

V.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly,
You have lots of explanation to do in your interviews. I think you are in trouble. Your profile indicates you like to quit,
or
you are not capable to make wise decisions,
or
you just not mature enough to deal with stress.

Even you have a good GPA 3.9, but the admissions committee may see you as a person that always seek for a back-door to escape. That is a big NO NO in medical schools.

I wish you good luck.

It does seem a bit odd to have that many w's on your record, especially in such a short time. What happened that caused you to do this? I would have to agree that it normally would not look very good at all, and that you should really have a pretty good explaination for this, but it doesnt mean that you are necessarily sunk. I would recommend that if you do not have a solid explanation, that you have some tremendous scores to at least give yourself a chance. Everything is relative however, death in teh family, sickness, etc may help explain them. I would recommend that you avoid any further W's on your transcript like the plague.

Thank you both for your frank advice. I really appreciate the honesty and straightforwardness: It will help me to shape
my fture plan of action...

V