1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Withdrawals

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Vergil, Oct 15, 1999.

1. Vergil

Vergil Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have a lot of withdrawals on my transcript
    because of work/personal obligations and wanting to achieve the highest possible GPA. I currently have a 3.9 (which includes grades earned in chemistry, organic and physics). I have also been working as a medical assistant in a local hospital for the past 2 years--to
    assure myself of my desire by gaining experience.

Please tell me plainly--will the withdrawals seriously compromise my competitiveness in the application process (assuming my MCAT's are in the acceptable range)?

Thank you in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. carmstrong

carmstrong Member
    10+ Year Member

How many is a lot?

4. Vergil

Vergil Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank you for your response.
    Of the last 19 classes that I have taken, I have withdrawn from 7 of them.

V.

5. dragonking

dragonking Member
    10+ Year Member

Frankly,
    You have lots of explanation to do in your interviews. I think you are in trouble. Your profile indicates you like to quit,
    or
    you are not capable to make wise decisions,
    or
    you just not mature enough to deal with stress.

Even you have a good GPA 3.9, but the admissions committee may see you as a person that always seek for a back-door to escape. That is a big NO NO in medical schools.

I wish you good luck.

6. carmstrong

carmstrong Member
    10+ Year Member

It does seem a bit odd to have that many w's on your record, especially in such a short time. What happened that caused you to do this? I would have to agree that it normally would not look very good at all, and that you should really have a pretty good explaination for this, but it doesnt mean that you are necessarily sunk. I would recommend that if you do not have a solid explanation, that you have some tremendous scores to at least give yourself a chance. Everything is relative however, death in teh family, sickness, etc may help explain them. I would recommend that you avoid any further W's on your transcript like the plague.

7. Vergil

Vergil Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank you both for your frank advice. I really appreciate the honesty and straightforwardness: It will help me to shape
    my fture plan of action...

V