Withdrawing a class in last quarter @ UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why2kliu

Hai Ho Cheerio
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, in case you're wondering, I searched through the threads already, my case is a little different.

In my last quarter @ UCSD (Spring 2008... right now), I figured I'd go "all or nothing," and take six courses: American Literature: Detective Fiction, Virology, Cell Biology (retake), Language and Development (minor), Neurosurgery seminar, Introduction to Computing. In addition, I am a TA for Organic Chemistry, AS lecture note taker, and peptide synthesis lab assistant.

Of all the courses, the only one I needed to graduate was the Language course (to complete my minor). My Cell Biology grade was a C- last quarter due to anomalies in life.

I'm worried about my Virology grade however, I had no idea the course would be so difficult and time consuming.

If I drop Virology, I would not be retaking the course (declared graduation already), and it's an optional course I'm taking for personal interest. However, it is heavily related to medicine...

My question is, what would you folks suggest I do? I currently have 1 W, which I replaced; if I withdraw Virology, it would not be replaced, so I'm not sure how much that would hurt my chances.

MCAT: 12PS,10VR,10BS; 32Q
GPA: 3.47; if I complete straight As (including virology), will become 3.51

taking 6 classes along with those extracurricular things at ucsd really...really wasn't the brightest thing to do. and taking classes for personal interest at the risk of your gpa?... i think your problems started when you became wayy too overambitious at the beginning of the quarter. i don't know what to tell you...its a tough situation. having a W at your very last quarter before applying really won't look good...but i guess if your grade is gonna be horrible in virology (like a C), the w would be better.

A W really doesn't matter as long as you dont have strings of them. If someone asks you about that one, just say that you were extraordinarily busy this semester and had to drop something because of how much you were taking on at once. Any small stigma from that is much preferable to something that will lower your GPA

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
If your applying this cycle, why not just submit your AMCAS before grades come out? That way the W won't show up on your transcript, and the ADCOM's won't really know about it unless you send them a grade update or they request one. Also don't feel bad for taking classes for leisure, education should be about expanding your knowledge and having fun learning not boosting your GPA. Unfortunately we live in a society that is defined by numbers instead of individuality. Just my 2 cents.

Hey buddy, I thought you were graduating near summa cum laude?

Last edited: